Mediterranean musts

chefestelle

My recommendation would be to change the date of your cruise if at all possible.

I would recommend the spring or fall (mid Sept/Oct) simply because of the very hot weather and the crowds.

Don't eat in any restaurant that is full of tourists or has a menu printed out in five languages. Walk a block or two off the main drag and eat where the locals eat. Order the house wine. Never get conned into ordering a bottle of wine without asking the price. Split meals in order to try different things. Understand the cost prior to ordering...most especially in touristy outdoor cafes. Watch your change.

No chance of changing dates. It had to match school break. But our temperatures will be close to theirs by then so we will be as adjusted as anyone can be!

Don't forget handi-wipes and you might want to remember to take some toilet paper from the ship with you. The public restroom in Santorini comes to mind...

Oh right! I forgot that too! The toilets in Turkey were nasty the last time i was there!

Duct Tape is a must.

I wear hiking boots when touring because I have a tendency to twist my ankle on rough terrain. The hiking boots keep it straight. The stones in some of the old areas were so hot that the sole of my boots separated from the upper portion. (The group guide we had said that this is a chronic problem for them, too. She always has an extra pair of sandals with her.)

I taped the boots together and kept having to add additional tape because it kept melting.

Is it hot in the Med in these old areas? YES!

(I found that Eddie Bauer has nice cool long sleeved shirts. I think they are in the TRAVEX line on their web site. My hiking boots melted, but I didn't.)

Even mediocre quality, true hiking boots have soles that are attached to the lasts with double stitching and will not separate -even in extreme conditions. Often the sole material is made by a time trusted company like Vibram and they will withstand any temp (hot or cold) that the wearer can withstand.

Guys,

Forget the wite baskets with socks and buy a pair of comfortable walking sandals from Teva, Clarks or Geox.

Please don't wear socks with them though:eek:

Forget the fannybag. They are pickpocket magnets ( as are the white basket shoes, they shout American tourist). It is unbelievable that some guidebooks still recommend them.

Use a good camerabag over the shoulder instead with the opening zipped closed towards the body and away from the streetside.

A 2 parts pants are always a good idea. Zipped short or long for walking in theheat or visiting religious buildings...

Ladies, a light headscarf is not only protecting against the sun, but also required in most mosques and can cover naked shoulders...

Do not try and buy in US $ but bring Euro

Tips in the EU are a couple of Euro MAX!!! Please respect our limited tipping culture, we also respect yours.

I have no idea what white basket shoes are but I can assure you that I will not ever wear socks with sandals!unfortunately, my daughter does...

I have a light scarf and will find that way more comfortable than a hat even when I'm not in a solemn place. And yes, I adhere strictly to tipping practices no matter where I go. Australia was the hardest back in the 90s when tipping still wasn't widespread there!

Edited by chefestelle

Duct Tape is a must.

I wear hiking boots when touring because I have a tendency to twist my ankle on rough terrain. The hiking boots keep it straight. The stones in some of the old areas were so hot that the sole of my boots separated from the upper portion. (The group guide we had said that this is a chronic problem for them, too. She always has an extra pair of sandals with her.)

I taped the boots together and kept having to add additional tape because it kept melting.

Is it hot in the Med in these old areas? YES!

(I found that Eddie Bauer has nice cool long sleeved shirts. I think they are in the TRAVEX line on their web site. My hiking boots melted, but I didn't.)

I forgot about Eddie Bauer. I'll check their website!

I have used Pacsafe backpacks , money belts and purses on trips through the Baltic, St Petersburg, Beijing, Shanghai, etc. I have great confidence in the safety features, and the ease of use.

I have a perfect money belt. I can keep some cash handy and the rest tucked in it

Oh right! I forgot that too! The toilets in Turkey were nasty the last time i was there!

Guys, you don't know what you are missing. Best to wear a skirt when you plan on negotiating ladies "toilets" in Turkey - two foots steps and a hole. Or buy some of those "Urinelle" units at the travel stores before you do. Trick if you are in pants, roll up your pant legs first to keep them from dragging on the floor and you know what.

The toilets in Ephesus were beautifully clean when we were there. After every person vacated a cubicle (which were proper toilets), a cleaner entered and gave it a quick sluice.

These were the toilets at the top, where the tour buses park.

A man stood outside the toilet building and took the payment for usage, so you will need some local small cash. I am sorry, I don't recall the cost.

We did not have any Turkish currency, so my husband bought a cheap little guide book at a stall and we were able to pay the 'toilet toll'.

Happy sailing!

fe

I have a perfect money belt. I can keep some cash handy and the rest tucked in it

All Pacsafe products are designed to foil pickpockets. There is a waist pack in their inventory, all straps,are reinforced with metal( cannot be cut) and all zippered compartments have locks. I gifted one to a friend upon her retirement. She has carried it in Asia, South America, and Indonesia. I hope to test these products in Barcelona !!

No chance of changing dates. It had to match school break. But our temperatures will be close to theirs by then so we will be as adjusted as anyone can be!

You will enjoy no matter what month you go!!!!! We did a 24 day on The Nieuw in 2013 for my retirement from dentistry in 2013! Stayed a week prior in Barcelona last week in July, and it was warm! We live in San Diego and the humidity was the thing! We had our bandanas that we always drenched in water and rung them out and wore them around our necks which kept us cool from Barcelona, Italy, Greece and etc.

Doing the Eurodam on Oct 9th! Same cruise as you and choose this one since prior we will be in Nice in an apt. for a month going to Venice next to board!

All of the suggestions from soooooo many CCers are very valuable!

Especially if this is your first Med cruise!

Happy Sailings!

Denise:)

All Pacsafe products are designed to foil pickpockets. There is a waist pack in their inventory, all straps,are reinforced with metal( cannot be cut) and all zippered compartments have locks. I gifted one to a friend upon her retirement. She has carried it in Asia, South America, and Indonesia. I hope to test these products in Barcelona !!

In eight Med cruises and probably twice that many land trips to Mediterranean countries, I've never felt it necessary to go to the extreme of the Pacsafe products.

Some method of hiding one's few valuables -- an inside pocket, moneybelt, pouch -- should be sufficient.

Besides -- in Italy there are "scippatori" -- bag-snatchers on motor scooters who will grab your bag and speed off. See image here: http://www.siciliajournal.it/wp-content/uploads/2015/01/scippo.jpg

If that happens, it is far better to let go of your bag, as quite serious injuries have occurred when tourists either tried to hold on to their bag or were tethered to it and couldn't let go.

You will enjoy no matter what month you go!!!!! We did a 24 day on The Nieuw in 2013 for my retirement from dentistry in 2013! Stayed a week prior in Barcelona last week in July, and it was warm! We live in San Diego and the humidity was the thing! We had our bandanas that we always drenched in water and rung them out and wore them around our necks which kept us cool from Barcelona, Italy, Greece and etc.

Doing the Eurodam on Oct 9th! Same cruise as you and choose this one since prior we will be in Nice in an apt. for a month going to Venice next to board!

All of the suggestions from soooooo many CCers are very valuable!

Especially if this is your first Med cruise!

Happy Sailings!

Denise:)

It is my first Med cruise though not my first trip to Turkey. I am so looking forward to it and all these suggestions are very helpful! I'm thinking grippy shoes and wet bandanas are leading the tip pack!