Do we need extra medical insurance when going on a cruise?

vaindioux

My insurance covers me. However, it's been three months, and I'm still trying to collect the 2k on board emergency bill. NCL gave me a bill, but my company wants codes, doctor's tax ID, etc. NCL says, "We don't do that," so now I'm waiting for a formal refusal so I can complete the claim with Allianz. From here on out, I'll be sure and pay for primary coverage.

The travel insurance did cover my hospital stay in Livorno. The concierge handled everything, and talked to my husband at least once a day. No one ever asked about private insurance, and we never saw a bill. I have no idea what emergency transport and three nights cost in Italy, but it would have been 10-15k locally. Maybe more.

To add to the confusion, when I called NCL to check on my case, CS gave me the medical department number. It took eight business days before anyone answered the phone, and I received the "we don't do that" document the next day. Meanwhile, I had sent a copy of my insurance company's requirements via the post cruise stuff email.

Last week, NCL emailed that they would forward my concerns to the appropriate department.

Confusion, indeed. I'm annoyed with NCL for giving me different answers each time I call.

Again- unless you're able to pay a large sum upfront, pay extra to get primary coverage. I'm hoping to have my claim settled before our next trip.

Sounds familiar. :rolleyes: I had a similar situation with my health insurance. After several weeks of hearing nothing, I called. They started with, "it's not a valid claim because...," and went on to say they could not adjudicate it and needed a referral as well as ICD and procedure codes.

I requested a supervisor and then asked for a review by someone with an understanding of off-shore and cruise line medical billing. I also said I didn't care whether or not they paid . . . that I wanted either a check or a letter saying they would not pay. I was informed I would get a response in X days; before X days I had a check, less my ER copay.

As I already started a claim and had all the needed material I put in for the copay with the trip insurance. They paid promptly.

Just to add to that point---even if you have not yet booked your flight for your cruise, buy the insurance within that time frame to get pre-existing conditions covered. Later when you have paid for your flight, contact the insurance carrier to add the new amount and pay the additional premium if any results because of the larger amount being covered.

OR, if you pay for that flight with a credit card like United's Explorer VISA (or some other travel related credit card with similar benefits), the card's benefits will cover that added vacation cost (up to the allowable limit-e.g., $10k).

On a related issue, it is interesting to note how often people do not understand what is meant by "pre-existing conditions" and their relation to a "look back" period.