Do we need extra medical insurance when going on a cruise?

vaindioux

i would check with your company but I would highly recommend it.

Consider things such as if you need to be evacuated from the ship and if your policy would cover this.

Think through if you have to cancel the cruise at the last minute and who would pick up the cost of the cruise.

Keith

I have to agree with both points from the previous post. I doubt very seriously that your employer based insurance would cover you on a cruise. I especially agree about the med-evac policy. I always get a temp evac policy with MedJet Assist. For a modest amount I'm guaranteed to be transferred from a foreign hospital (must be admitted, not just seen in the ER) back to a hospital of my choice, most likely at home. MedJet has policies for singles, familys, a single trip or an annual policy.

Hi

I have medical insurance through my job in the USA. What happens if I get hurt on the ship, or on a non American island?

Thxs

Pat

You will most likely be on your own. Few medical insurance programs cover people out of their own country (Britain's, for example, does not), US Medicare, and every private US insurance plan I've seen all stop at the border - unless overseas travel is specifically included (and paid for).

You should also check medical evacuation coverage.

Actually, many US group policies do provide coverage for "emergencies" and less often for broader care when outside the USA. Certainly give a call or e-mail your provider to get a definitive answer...and request that answer in writing (via e-mail or snail mail). A bigger problem is what is known as "emergency evacuation" and this is rarely covered by standard policies. You can get this as part of just about any trip policy or buy a much more comprehensive evacuation policy from "medjetassist."

Having spent over thirty years in the Medical Insurance industry we sometimes get blue in the face giving the following advice: "read your policy, get clarifications in writing, and carefully evaluate your personal risk vis a vis the cost of various policies."

Hank

Absolutely- Always buy insurance. We recently had to leave the ship in Falmouth, Jamaica due to heart failure. After five days in a sub-par hospital I was Medi-vaced to Broward Hospital in Ft. Lauderdale. The flight was $17,000 and the hosp. cost exceeded $100,000. We always travel heavily insured and this time it really paid off. BTW, RCCL went far out of their way to make sure I was being taken care of. They are now aware of the poor treatment their guests receive from this location.

Hi

I have medical insurance through my job in the USA. What happens if I get hurt on the ship, or on a non American island?

Thxs

Pat

Check your policy. Ours offers the same coverage world wide but most are not that generous.

Guest maddycat
Absolutely- Always buy insurance. We recently had to leave the ship in Falmouth, Jamaica due to heart failure. After five days in a sub-par hospital I was Medi-vaced to Broward Hospital in Ft. Lauderdale. The flight was $17,000 and the hosp. cost exceeded $100,000. We always travel heavily insured and this time it really paid off. BTW, RCCL went far out of their way to make sure I was being taken care of. They are now aware of the poor treatment their guests receive from this location.

Did you have travel insurance through RCI or was it 3rd party insurance?

Did you have travel insurance through RCI or was it 3rd party insurance?

Check our Travelex Traveler Select, which is one of the few "primary payer" comprehensive travel/medical/evac policies.

Add to it travel insurance perks from credit cards like United Explorer VISA (covering card travel purchase up to a limit) and your own health insurance (with some international coverage) or a Medicare supplement policy that converts to the company's "basic" coverage outside the US and you'll have covered most bases.

Another consideration is being denied the use of any insurance at a destination and having to pay up front for care. My wife had some issues and we were advised to leave the cruise and seek treatment for a mis-diagnosed illness. All care had to be paid for up front with cash or credit card. Thankfully we have a nice limit on our card, I would hate to think of those who don't. When we got home we were reimbursed for all costs for medical care by our health insurance, minus the deductible of course, and all other expenses were taken care of by our travel insurance.

Although we don't buy the Cruise line insurance we NEVER travel without it.

My insurance covers me. However, it's been three months, and I'm still trying to collect the 2k on board emergency bill. NCL gave me a bill, but my company wants codes, doctor's tax ID, etc. NCL says, "We don't do that," so now I'm waiting for a formal refusal so I can complete the claim with Allianz. From here on out, I'll be sure and pay for primary coverage.

The travel insurance did cover my hospital stay in Livorno. The concierge handled everything, and talked to my husband at least once a day. No one ever asked about private insurance, and we never saw a bill. I have no idea what emergency transport and three nights cost in Italy, but it would have been 10-15k locally. Maybe more.

To add to the confusion, when I called NCL to check on my case, CS gave me the medical department number. It took eight business days before anyone answered the phone, and I received the "we don't do that" document the next day. Meanwhile, I had sent a copy of my insurance company's requirements via the post cruise stuff email.

Last week, NCL emailed that they would forward my concerns to the appropriate department.

Confusion, indeed. I'm annoyed with NCL for giving me different answers each time I call.

Again- unless you're able to pay a large sum upfront, pay extra to get primary coverage. I'm hoping to have my claim settled before our next trip.

Also important to note the most travel insurance policies do not cover pre-existing conditions unless the policy is purchased within 10-14 days (varies by company & policy) of the initial booking date.

Just to add to that point---even if you have not yet booked your flight for your cruise, buy the insurance within that time frame to get pre-existing conditions covered. Later when you have paid for your flight, contact the insurance carrier to add the new amount and pay the additional premium if any results because of the larger amount being covered.

I'm usually after trip cancellation and interruption insurance, as well as medical evac from the ship. My work coverage covers out of country injury/illness as well as medical evac from foreign to home. It's from the ship that I'm worried about. So, I typically end up buying a full coverage package, since the cost is only incremental to have the full coverage over picking the couple options I really want.