Past-guest free drinks and tips

KatieCharlotte

Do people add tips for their "free" drinks for being past guests? Does Carnival automatically credit the server with a 15% tip? I assumed they did, but I don't want to make a mistake.

When the free drinks were available in the dining room at brunch, they took our coupons and came back with the drinks. There was nothing to sign, at least on the ships I sailed on. When I sailed on the Sunshine with the free-drink-on-the-last-day-after-5 p.m., I was given the slip to sign with a space for a tip. My kids could not get their free drinks without my S&S because they didn't have charging privileges on their cards.

I didn't tip the Shake Spot server anything extra because she was incredibly slow, got the order wrong, and did not believe I was my child's mom because our last names are different. :eek: But do they expect a tip, or does Carnival pay it?

Edited by KatieCharlotte

For our last after 5PM free drink on the Conquest Carnival did add a $2 tip to our Sign n Sail card.

I don't know if they always do that but I noticed the extra $2 when I looked at our bill.

They can't add something to your S&S card without your permission, I would have gone straight to the Guest Relations desk and had that taken off. Even if it was "only" $2. Unless the $2 was on the receipt that you signed then they added that without permission.

Do people add tips for their "free" drinks for being past guests? Does Carnival automatically credit the server with a 15% tip? I assumed they did, but I don't want to make a mistake.

When the free drinks were available in the dining room at brunch, they took our coupons and came back with the drinks. There was nothing to sign, at least on the ships I sailed on. When I sailed on the Sunshine with the free-drink-on-the-last-day-after-5 p.m., I was given the slip to sign with a space for a tip. My kids could not get their free drinks without my S&S because they didn't have charging privileges on their cards.

I didn't tip the Shake Spot server anything extra because she was incredibly slow, got the order wrong, and did not believe I was my child's mom because our last names are different. :eek: But do they expect a tip, or does Carnival pay it?

We slipped her buck for each of our free drinks rather than put it on S&S card. That way we knew she got it rather than having to pool the tip.

Is it normal that they will add the tip to the free drinks? So, you have to hand them your coupon and your S&S card to get the drinks and then they'll add the tip?

They just handed me a slip of paper with a line to add a tip if I wanted. I just signed it without adding anything, but I wanted to make sure that I wasn't being rude not to tip. I do feel bad for the servers when there's a long line of people with coupons on the last night.

My kids could not get their free drink without their S&S card and they did not have charging privileges