Senator Nelson calls for NTSB to investigate Anthems Feb 7 sailing.

Is an investigation necessary?  

467 members have voted

1. 1. Is an investigation necessary?

• Yes the NTSB should investigate
    • No the NTSB should not investiagte

Without more to go on, I wouldn't care to speculate. It could be as simple as debris in the oil having been stirred up from the seas and tripped a metal detector and shut the pod down, or it could be significant.

Okay, I'm speculating, but even if significant mechanical problem, these are the newer XO azipods which can renew the thrust bearings without drydocking.

Edited by chengkp75

One thing I can say for sure....no Coastie would say "left propulsion system" so of course, I wonder what else was lost in translation.

I am curious, though, what the issue it. This style of ship is run on electricity, so I wonder where in the vast system that is propulsion the problem exists....generators, transformers, converters, azipods, steering module, etc? To just say propulsion is a very loaded statement.

Leave it to the Media.

Without more to go on, I wouldn't care to speculate. It could be as simple as debris in the oil having been stirred up from the seas and tripped a metal detector and shut the pod down, or it could be significant.

Okay, I'm speculating, but even if significant mechanical problem, these are the newer XO azipods which can renew the thrust bearings without drydocking.

I caught a documentary on the azipod system. Amazing system!

One thing I can say for sure....no Coastie would say "left propulsion system" so of course, I wonder what else was lost in translation.

I am curious, though, what the issue it. This style of ship is run on electricity, so I wonder where in the vast system that is propulsion the problem exists....generators, transformers, converters, azipods, steering module, etc? To just say propulsion is a very loaded statement.

Paul, one thing I find significant is that he said "it isn't working properly", not " it isn't working".

It could be something like the pod wasn't steerable, but was capable of providing propulsion, so it was shut down for maneuvering into NY harbor. It could also be that it worked fine, but would have an alarm condition like high temperature, so it was stopped to save it for use in an emergency. Pods are extremely cramped, and you cannot enter when running or the shaft is turning. Perhaps due to seas it was decided that it was too dangerous to enter the pod to try to lock the shaft to work in there. Another possibility would be that they had actually locked the shaft which would cause a lot of drag and slow the ship, because they had a warning on the thrust bearing. These bearings are monitored on a trend, and even when the bearing is nowhere near wearing out and failing, if the wear trend suddenly increases, warning alarms are sounded. As I think on it, this may be pretty likely that they locked the shaft to prevent any damage to the bearing, but that the bearing was only in alarm condition, not failed.

Got any friends in COTP NY?

Yes, and this is just to the OP not the other posters in this thread.

An investigation does not need to end with blame, fines, or anything else of that nature. An investigation, may lead to other safety measures in place. Something went wrong here, and if an investigation yielded conclusions that would help something like this from not happening again, then it is a good thing.

The flag country is not the "be all, end all" of ships sailing into this country. Certain safety, and regulatory laws apply if the ships wish to dock in our country.

Now to everyone else.. There were many, MANY U.S. souls on that ship. I find it sad that many people would choose to do no possible harm (via an investigation, to a non human cruise line) vs. wanting, and hoping for something positive to come out of this horrible experience, to prevent a possible injury or death of an actual human being, in the future. Whatever... to each his own I guess.

Paul, one thing I find significant is that he said "it isn't working properly", not " it isn't working".

It could be something like the pod wasn't steerable, but was capable of providing propulsion, so it was shut down for maneuvering into NY harbor. It could also be that it worked fine, but would have an alarm condition like high temperature, so it was stopped to save it for use in an emergency. Pods are extremely cramped, and you cannot enter when running or the shaft is turning. Perhaps due to seas it was decided that it was too dangerous to enter the pod to try to lock the shaft to work in there. Another possibility would be that they had actually locked the shaft which would cause a lot of drag and slow the ship, because they had a warning on the thrust bearing. These bearings are monitored on a trend, and even when the bearing is nowhere near wearing out and failing, if the wear trend suddenly increases, warning alarms are sounded. As I think on it, this may be pretty likely that they locked the shaft to prevent any damage to the bearing, but that the bearing was only in alarm condition, not failed.

Got any friends in COTP NY?

Shortly, before noon yesterday, some of is in concierge suite were looking aft and discussing the azipod situation (that's what I wanted to talk to you guys about earlier). The starboard pod was chunking along fine. But, the port one was not (or didn't look like... I have a picture but my phone is being stupid) all the way shut down. Unless there is a drag reason why you would still see a trail from it albeit a very weak one when shut down, it looks like it was operational but really low-powered. Somewhere grammar left my capabilities, but boat lag is setting in.

Edited by KarinaGW

Shortly, before noon yesterday, some of is in concierge suite were looking aft and discussing the azipod situation (that's what I wanted to talk to you guys about earlier). The starboard pod was chunking along fine. But, the port one was not (or didn't look like... I have a picture but my phone is being stupid) all the way shut down. Unless there is a drag reason why you would still see a trail from it albeit a very weak one when shut down, it looks like it was operational but really low-powered. Somewhere grammar left my capabilities, but boat lag is setting in.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=49061076&postcount=1594

Good photo of what you just desribed. BTW, thanks for your postings, very informative throughout:D

You said the report stated they were onboard. I read it, and didn't see any mention that they were onboard, and the quote is from the article you linked. I just read it again, nowhere do I see mention that either the USCG (who are there today, I believe) or NTSB were on the ship when this was written, nor do I see anything that says the NTSB has immediate plans to board the vessel. Maybe I'm missing something?

I see my typo now...

What I typed was: "The reported stated "NTSB" and Coast Guard is already on board the ship."

reported and should have typed reporter.

Listen again as I just did.... She did say what I intended to state.

This probably really is mute now as I have listened and read other reports stating NTSB was involved.

Edited by Sam.Seattle

Congress is incapable of getting anything done so now they will take on RCCL to make it appear as if they are being effective. Why don't you concentrate your efforts on lowering our debt, protecting our citizens from terrorism, creating jobs and the countless other things we elected you to do?

Yes, now that I see the minimal wake from the port pod, that means they wouldn't have locked it, so a major bearing problem isn't the case. I suspect more that there is some control problem, either with steering the pod, or that as I said there is a warning condition that has caused them to only use the pod if needed.

I see my typo now...

What I typed was: "The reported stated "NTSB" and Coast Guard is already on board the ship."

reported and should have typed reporter.

Listen again as I just did.... She did say what I intended to state.

This probably really is mute now as I have listened and read other reports stating NTSB was involved.

Sorry, no audio capability on the computers onboard, so I just read the article, can't watch videos.

Congress is incapable of getting anything done so now they will take on RCCL to make it appear as if they are being effective. Why don't you concentrate your efforts on lowering our debt, protecting our citizens from terrorism, creating jobs and the countless other things we elected you to do?

..........there is no money there........the politicians just troll for cash and shake down all "wounded pups" they can through "investigations before Congress". It is remarkable how, after some large contributions, these "investigations" disappear. SHOW ME THE MONEY is every politicians mantra today.

Yes, and this is just to the OP not the other posters in this thread.

An investigation does not need to end with blame, fines, or anything else of that nature. An investigation, may lead to other safety measures in place. Something went wrong here, and if an investigation yielded conclusions that would help something like this from not happening again, then it is a good thing.

The flag country is not the "be all, end all" of ships sailing into this country. Certain safety, and regulatory laws apply if the ships wish to dock in our country.

Now to everyone else.. There were many, MANY U.S. souls on that ship. I find it sad that many people would choose to do no possible harm (via an investigation, to a non human cruise line) vs. wanting, and hoping for something positive to come out of this horrible experience, to prevent a possible injury or death of an actual human being, in the future. Whatever... to each his own I guess.

Hello Mike -

I have never expressed an opinion or came to any conclusion.

I simply asked the question only to learn what other people thought.