Changes to Crown & Anchor

If you are referring to all people who are Diamond and above compared to just suite passengers and include all spending, then the status people would easily outspend the suite passengers. I don't normally go in a suite, but I still buy shore excursions through the ship, I still buy photographs, I still go to specialty restaurants I still shop in the ship's store, I still buy drinks ...

Maybe I didn't explain it well enough. One Suite Guest (generally two) compared to a D guest and one, or a D+ plus one, or a P and one, each room, not all..... even Suite Guest generally have some form of status level.

I am just saying, compare the avg P or D+ cabin against the avg Suite Guest as far as revenue goes, per year. Who do you think would provide the most revenue to RCCL for that year.

Many people, once they reach status, start going from say a OS/GS, to a JS. I've seen it posted here. Why reward someone if they are going to spend less. I understand loyalty, but to a stock holder, what is in the past is the past.

Edited by troykahack

Thanks for the heads up, but that's not what I asked.

I will be on Serenade in April of 2017 in the RS.

That ship has 15 GS's, 5 OS's, 3 TS's and 1 RS

Let's say the lounge is exclusively Suite guests. And it's full, should you as a GS passenger give me your seat? Of course not, that is not how it works.

So don't expect to have a PC member do that for you.

I think I know now where you are going with this. Makes some reasonable since but seems like your pooling all those with status against one Suite. Maybe make the comparison of all Suite Guest to those in a Status. I woud be interested in understanding the results. Somebody knows the answer.

Edited by troykahack

Maybe I didn't explain it well enough. One Suite Guest (generally two) compared to a D guest and one, or a D+ plus one, or a P and one, each room, not all..... even Suite Guest generally have some form of status level.

I am just saying, compare the avg P or D+ cabin against the avg Suite Guest as far as revenue goes, per year. Who do you think would provide the most revenue to RCCL for that year.

Many people, once they reach status, start going from say a OS/GS, to a JS. I've seen it posted here. Why reward someone if they are going to spend less. I understand loyalty, but to a stock holder, what is in the past is the past.

Many have inferred that the upper level C&A members often help fill out the ships in shoulder season (Fall). You will often see the suites fairly under utilized until they start upselling them. They are also quite popular in the repositioning trips. Several years ago, they practically gave them away, including the suites. Now due to popularity with the higher tiers, they sell for a lot more money now. And the suites go early.

We had an owners suite on NCL 10 years ago on a TA. Only way we could afford that level back then.

One on one, perhaps a suite guest spends more. However, there are more returning guests than suite guests and that is how a cruise line pays its bills.

Look at how much room a suite guest takes up. A GS is about twice the size of a standard balcony and costs about twice as much. But two standard balconies hold four people compared to a GS which typically has two people. Yes, I know a GS can sleep four, but two standard balconies can sleep eight.

I think I know now where you are going with this. Makes some reasonable since but seems like your pooling all those with status against one Suite. Maybe make the comparison of all Suite Guest to those in a Status. I woud be interested in understanding the results. Somebody knows the answer.

Yes, somebody does know the answer. However, that person at Royal Caribbean is not about to publish that information on a public board where Carnival and NCL can see it.

One on one, perhaps a suite guest spends more. However, there are more returning guests than suite guests and that is how a cruise line pays its bills.

Look at how much room a suite guest takes up. A GS is about twice the size of a standard balcony and costs about twice as much. But two standard balconies hold four people compared to a GS which typically has two people. Yes, I know a GS can sleep four, but two standard balconies can sleep eight.

Ok,... I get what you are saying.... so, lets take all the suites on any given ship and compare the money they spend with all the D+ and P aboard. All expenses including $$$ spent in the Ports of call... you think the D+ and P would exceed the amount the Suite guests spend?

Edited by troykahack

Many have inferred that the upper level C&A members often help fill out the ships in shoulder season (Fall). You will often see the suites fairly under utilized until they start upselling them. They are also quite popular in the repositioning trips. Several years ago, they practically gave them away, including the suites. Now due to popularity with the higher tiers, they sell for a lot more money now. And the suites go early.

We had an owners suite on NCL 10 years ago on a TA. Only way we could afford that level back then.

Thanks, you too good answer.... and thank you for holding out on Bella pictures, although she is very cute...

Look, I agree that RCCL should reward frequent cruisers. A great policy on their part. However, if someone wants to buy an exclusive cruise with all the perks, you shouldn't expect to receive all that in your perks...

The gentleman that are P's, for the most part, put their underwear on just like me.....

Ok,... I get what you are saying.... so, lets take all the suites on any given ship and compare the money they spend with all the D+ and P aboard. All expenses including $$$ spent in the Ports of call... you think the D+ and P would exceed the amount the Suite guests spend?

As I said, the number of D+ & Pinnacle guests varies from cruise to cruise. And some of those suite guests are D+ and Pinnacles. So who gets credit for their spending, the status people, the suite side or is it split 50/50 (or 45/45/10 since Royal Caribbean will no doubt want their share).

Look, I agree that RCCL should reward frequent cruisers. A great policy on their part. However, if someone wants to buy an exclusive cruise with all the perks, you shouldn't expect to receive all that in your perks...

The gentleman that are P's, for the most part, put their underwear on just like me.....

If someone wants to buy an EXCLUSIVE cruise with all the perks, the last thing I would recommend is a mass market cruise ship. If one wants an EXCLUSIVE cruise with all the perks, one should rent a yacht with crew.

I think you might be missing my point. The Suite Lounge is a perk given to:

1) Suite guests

2) Pinnacles

IF Royal Caribbean wants to change that, that is Royal Caribbean's choice. But for now, it is a perk given to both Pinnacles and suite guests. Thus each has an equal right to be in the suite lounge.

There are perks available to D+ and Pinnacles that are not available to suite guests who have not reached that level. One I really enjoy is the bridge tour. Another (that really is not that important to me personally) is the Diamond Lounge. A suite guest who is not at least Diamond can use the Suite Lounge, but not the Diamond Lounge.

Edited by Cuizer2

I guess you hit the nail on the head. I really don't believe this. I think they, RCCL, would sail nearly full. At one time, they used to offer the locals with killer deals to fill the cabins, near sailing date. If I remember right, it would come out on Wednesday before a Weekend cruise on EOS out of PC. $99 per person, then went to $150, the $199.... then gone....

We would never have more than the lady and I in one Suite. Yes, a GS I think can have 4... but they have expenses too....

Edited by troykahack

It would increase revenue by enabling Diamond or above cruises to reconsider the value of a drink package. As it stands anyone that enjoys the 3 drink vouchers or early evening lounge access are basically giving that away that benefit by the purchasing of a Drink Package, and therefore they are more unlikely to buy one.

Some of us do like to enjoy a drink poolside during the day, and wine with our dinner and a late night tipple as we relax after dinner. ( YES in addition to our pre-dinner cocktail ) therefore a reduced package price would make it viable, whereas at current rates it is not.

It would also encourage more people to rise up though the loyalty ladder, because of the additional benefit. :eek:

That only works if people refuse to buy drinks outside of the free drinks in the evening. I get my 1-2 free drinks at night, but it doesn't stop me from getting 1-2 during the day if I feel like having one, and paying for it. Once people buy a drink or two during the day, it cuts into that gain. Not to mention RCL then loses on EVERY drink package to someone with the dicsount that would buy them anyway (likely the vast majority), no matter how much they drink. I'm betting the few additional discounted packages, purchased by those that refuse to drink during the day, won't come close to the stuff they've lost. Certainly cost-wise. On gaining value in non-monetary means (good-will or urging people to cruise with them, or more, then otherwise would, I'm guessing it doesn't change that much)

As I said, the number of D+ & Pinnacle guests varies from cruise to cruise. And some of those suite guests are D+ and Pinnacles. So who gets credit for their spending, the status people, the suite side or is it split 50/50 (or 45/45/10 since Royal Caribbean will no doubt want their share).

Yes, I agee that Suite Guest may have status, my SO is a D, although I am not, I assume her status. But we cruise on ANY ship or take any vacation that meets our needs for dates, itenary, location, and so on.....

Compare all Suites expenses ......... Really, the only ones who get nearly the same perks is a P, so just compare all Suites to all P onboard at any given time....

If someone wants to buy an EXCLUSIVE cruise with all the perks, the last thing I would recommend is a mass market cruise ship. If one wants an EXCLUSIVE cruise with all the perks, one should rent a yacht with crew.

I think you might be missing my point. The Suite Lounge is a perk given to:

1) Suite guests

2) Pinnacles

IF Royal Caribbean wants to change that, that is Royal Caribbean's choice. But for now, it is a perk given to both Pinnacles and suite guests. Thus each has an equal right to be in the suite lounge.

There are perks available to D+ and Pinnacles that are not available to suite guests who have not reached that level. One I really enjoy is the bridge tour. Another (that really is not that important to me personally) is the Diamond Lounge. A suite guest who is not at least Diamond can use the Suite Lounge, but not the Diamond Lounge.

Why can't we enjoy the cruise ships... it sure is a lot less money than private charters and renting a private boat.... give me a break... you logic is unreal... we are not all multi millionaires...

Edited by troykahack

That's a tough one, as I would say the average suite guests only goes on 1 cruise a year, if that many. (Some only cruise once, some once a few years) Yes, there are people who book multiple cruises a year, and many of them are suite guests. But the average person picked out of a suite probably averages 1 a year.

(Besides the fact that any suite guest doing 3-4 a year is a D and up anyway just from all the points they rack up).

Now a person doing a suite 1/yr, vs a D+ doing 3-4 in, say, a balcony, I would say the D+, if you count the onboard spending (as in general the spending is equal. Actually, the onboard spending for a non-suite may be higher, as they don't get the suite benefits thrown in).

Yes, I agee that Suite Guest may have status, my SO is a D, although I am not, I assume her status. But we cruise on ANY ship or take any vacation that meets our needs for dates, itenary, location, and so on.....

Compare all Suites expenses ......... Really, the only ones who get nearly the same perks is a P, so just compare all Suites to all P onboard at any given time....

Typically someone that can afford to cruise 10+ weeks per year can usually also afford a suite. I am sure there are Pinnacles that are not in suites, but it is hard to figure who is creating a bigger profit, and suite passenger who is also Pinnacle or a Pinnacle passenger who is in a suite?

It will also depend on how many Pinnacles are on the ship. As I said, that number varies while the number of suite guess does not.

Why can't we enjoy the cruise ships... it sure is a lot less money than private charters and renting a private boat.... give me a break... you logic is unreal... we are not all multi millionaires...

You can enjoy cruise ships, but do not pretend that a cruise on a ship with 2,000 or more passengers is an exclusive experience. Even a cruise on an all suite ship carrying only 450 passengers is not an exclusive experience. It may be a very enjoyable experience, but it is not an exclusive experience.

You are the one that used the word "exclusive" to describe a Royal Caribbean cruise. So don't go criticizing my logic when you try to claim that a cruise on Royal Caribbean is an exclusive experience. You want to cruise, get a suite on Royal Caribbean. You want exclusive, rent a yacht.

That's a tough one, as I would say the average suite guests only goes on 1 cruise a year, if that many. (Some only cruise once, some once a few years) Yes, there are people who book multiple cruises a year, and many of them are suite guests. But the average person picked out of a suite probably averages 1 a year.

(Besides the fact that any suite guest doing 3-4 a year is a D and up anyway just from all the points they rack up).

Now a person doing a suite 1/yr, vs a D+ doing 3-4 in, say, a balcony, I would say the D+, if you count the onboard spending (as in general the spending is equal. Actually, the onboard spending for a non-suite may be higher, as they don't get the suite benefits thrown in).

Sorry, I just don't believe that Suite Guest only book once a year or less. Yes, many are D and above.... but I am talking about those that NEVER book a Suite but expect glamours perks or the same as Suite Guest. It's pay to play....

You can enjoy cruise ships, but do not pretend that a cruise on a ship with 2,000 or more passengers is an exclusive experience. Even a cruise on an all suite ship carrying only 450 passengers is not an exclusive experience. It may be a very enjoyable experience, but it is not an exclusive experience.

You are the one that used the word "exclusive" to describe a Royal Caribbean cruise. So don't go criticizing my logic when you try to claim that a cruise on Royal Caribbean is an exclusive experience. You want to cruise, get a suite on Royal Caribbean. You want exclusive, rent a yacht.

Why do you think we can't enjoy a cruise ship? We have a good time on all our trips.... and we book Suites and enjoy them... and the cruise

Edited by troykahack

Typically someone that can afford to cruise 10+ weeks per year can usually also afford a suite. I am sure there are Pinnacles that are not in suites, but it is hard to figure who is creating a bigger profit, and suite passenger who is also Pinnacle or a Pinnacle passenger who is in a suite?

It will also depend on how many Pinnacles are on the ship. As I said, that number varies while the number of suite guess does not.

Buy what advantage does a P have that they would receive as a result of booking a Suite. Not sure your logic makes sense but I'm willing to listen.

Sorry, I just don't believe that Suite Guest only book once a year or less. Yes, many are D and above.... but I am talking about those that NEVER book a Suite but expect glamours perks or the same as Suite Guest. It's pay to play....

You may not believe it, because it's not your experience, but cruise ships are mostly filled with people who don't cruise multiple times a year, including the suites. There is a skewed view on this site sometimes, since most of us on here are frequent cruisers. But the average person, picked at random, is not someone who cruises a lot. The suites MAY have more of that then normal, but it's not the average cruiser. There are many people who cruise once every 1-4 years and want a suite, but that's all they can afford. There are many people who don't want to cruise that often, but do a suite when they do. We tend to be with those who are similar to us, and think that's what the norm is many times.

You may not believe it, because it's not your experience, but cruise ships are mostly filled with people who don't cruise multiple times a year, including the suites. There is a skewed view on this site sometimes, since most of us on here are frequent cruisers. But the average person, picked at random, is not someone who cruises a lot. The suites MAY have more of that then normal, but it's not the average cruiser. There are many people who cruise once every 1-4 years and want a suite, but that's all they can afford. There are many people who don't want to cruise that often, but do a suite when they do. We tend to be with those who are similar to us, and think that's what the norm is many times.

It's very possible you are right, I don't know.... I have my opinion, but it could be wrong. I really don't think RCCL will share this data with us. I might ask the question at the next stockholders meeting I go too...

What I hear you saying is that the P's are the Savior of RCCL, without them, they would flounder.... IMHO

Your DATA comes from the 3 hours in the Diamond Lounge?

Edited by troykahack

It's very possible you are right, I don't know.... I have my opinion, but it could be wrong. I really don't think RCCL will share this data with us. I might ask the question at the next stockholders meeting I go too...

What I hear you saying is that the P's are the Savior of RCCL, without them, they would flounder.... IMHO

Your DATA comes from the 3 hours in the Diamond Lounge?

It would be interesting to know for sure, that's true. I don't think I've noticed that in a stockholder report, that's for sure! *grin*

And no, the P's definitely are not. There's not enough of them. There are no single saviors. If you notice when they make the announcements on numbers of members, the true biggest "status" people on most cruises (not counting TA's or specialty ones) are those on their first cruises. Much of the time they're over half the ship. That's why RCL makes such a big move toward attracting them.

For an individual cruise, the suites of course give them the biggest bang for the buck. That's why they get the suite benefits. As a D+, I do agree there should be those. They pay a lot of money for that sailing, and they deserve the extra benefits that come with it.

Over the lifespan of a company (and as a stockholder myself, if the company does not give itself room to make money over the longterm, no one is going to care of an individual quarter), the loyalty members will give them a strong stream of recurring income, which is why they're important as well.