Must see/do St. Thomas

rch3

We'll be arriving St. Thomas at 11 a.m. on FOS. On previous stops we've sailed to St. John, been to Coki, snorkeled with turtles, done the beaches (Morning Star, Magens Bay, etc.) This time we've decided to rent a jeep and do things on our schedule, subject to returning the Jeep at 5 p.m. when Budget at Havensight closes for the day.

My question is what are the "must do/see" places to visit in the 5-6 hrs. we have for exploring the island (besides Mountain Top and a stop at Magens)? What are your favorite places?

Thanks for any input!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

We've been there 3 times and usually just spend the day walking through the downtown Charlotte Amalie area, grab lunch and a drink outside somewhere and enjoy the atmosphere. There is a little Dutch chocolate store tucked back in an alleyway that you must visit!

We will be heading there this week and we are booking a sail through Tribal Day Sails, they have awesome reviews and offer 3 1/2 hr, 5hr and full day sailings.

I know paradise point is a popular spot to check out. A lot of people take the trip over to St. Johns as well.

On our last visit (have been in the Ports of St Thomas dozens of times) we simply stayed on the ship. It was the best day we have ever had in St Thomas :). Our 2nd best choice is a nice beach day at one of the beaches not normally visited by cruise ship tours.

Hank

Edited by Hlitner

This will be a little different, and you may/may not be interested.

I have been a couple times down through the years, and last year I did it again. The place is called Magic Ice. (You can Google to find out about it/where it is located in St. Thomas.

It has all kinds of ice sculptures. You would think you would freeze (I'm the first person to get cold) just thinking about it, but it is a neat place. They give you a poncho to wear, as well as gloves, and wamers tio put around your legs if you wish. It is recommended that you not wear toeless shoes, but I think you would be fine. You walk through and see people, animals, different settings, all made out of ice. Very unique to see. When your just about through, you will come to a long ICE bar that they serve you Coke, or coke/rum. As I said, I am the FIRST person to get cold, but I actually got pretty warm in there, wearing the poncho. That is my "must see" in St. Thomas.

This will be a little different, and you may/may not be interested.

I have been a couple times down through the years, and last year I did it again. The place is called Magic Ice. (You can Google to find out about it/where it is located in St. Thomas.

It has all kinds of ice sculptures. You would think you would freeze (I'm the first person to get cold) just thinking about it, but it is a neat place. They give you a poncho to wear, as well as gloves, and wamers tio put around your legs if you wish. It is recommended that you not wear toeless shoes, but I think you would be fine. You walk through and see people, animals, different settings, all made out of ice. Very unique to see. When your just about through, you will come to a long ICE bar that they serve you Coke, or coke/rum. As I said, I am the FIRST person to get cold, but I actually got pretty warm in there, wearing the poncho. That is my "must see" in St. Thomas.

Did you take the ships excursion to the Magic Ice or did you just "wing" it and find your own transportation and tickets?

~~Joel~~

I cannot remember who it was, but it was someone standing out there in front and ask us if we wanted to go on a tour, etc., but I told them we would, but we wanted to be dropped off at Magic Ice as they go right by it, so he did. We did have to get a Taxi back, or you could have walked, but it would have been a distance. I could have walked, but my friend could not. The Taxi wasn't much. I know you can do it through the cruise also, but we didn't. I think it was around $22.00, but worth it to us.

• 1 month later...
We've been there 3 times and usually just spend the day walking through the downtown Charlotte Amalie area, grab lunch and a drink outside somewhere and enjoy the atmosphere. There is a little Dutch chocolate store tucked back in an alleyway that you must visit!

We will be heading there this week and we are booking a sail through Tribal Day Sails, they have awesome reviews and offer 3 1/2 hr, 5hr and full day sailings.

I know paradise point is a popular spot to check out. A lot of people take the trip over to St. Johns as well.

How did you like Tribal? And how did you get there? Pickup in Krum Bay???

Thanks, I'm trying to decide whether to book with them or not. It would be my and 2 boys 12&14...

Thanks in advance

Did you take the ships excursion to the Magic Ice or did you just "wing" it and find your own transportation and tickets?

~~Joel~~

You just go on your own, hop a taxi into town and buy tickets when you get there. It's located right in town so would suggest walking and sightseeing first then going to MI unless you've seen Charlotte Amalie before.

http://www.magicice.vi/

We'll be arriving St. Thomas at 11 a.m. on FOS. On previous stops we've sailed to St. John, been to Coki, snorkeled with turtles, done the beaches (Morning Star, Magens Bay, etc.) This time we've decided to rent a jeep and do things on our schedule, subject to returning the Jeep at 5 p.m. when Budget at Havensight closes for the day.

My question is what are the "must do/see" places to visit in the 5-6 hrs. we have for exploring the island (besides Mountain Top and a stop at Magens)? What are your favorite places?

Thanks for any input!

That is a great way to see the less touristy areas of STT. Would suggest a stop at Tillett Gardens for artsy shops and either Mountain Top or Paradise Point for the view. We'd avoid MT (and Magens) and stop at Drake's Seat for a nice view of Magens and hit PP if time allows. Consider stopping at Secret Harbour Resort for a nice beach lunch followed by some shopping in Red Hook.

Tillett, Secret Harbor, and Red Hook are in the same general area and would work for your timeframe.

http://www.virginislandsthisweek.com/st-thomas/maps/st-thomas-island-road-map.html

Edited by blue_water

Well, if nothing else, and you like jewelry, St. Thomas is a very good place to buy it. Of course, not just any shop, so you need to do some checking around like I did. I didn't do the checking in St. Thomas, but got some recommendations of places there through CC and TA.

One thing for sure, if you buy jewelry there, you don't pay any TAX, which is great, compared to here in the USA.

Places I like that are hard to get to by taxi:

Hull Bay Beach and Hull Bay Hideaway Bar and Grill

University of the Virgin Islands for the views and plant identification. Library is a gorgeous structure.

Brewers Beach which is on University property. Not the prettiest beach on island but you can watch planes land and take off at airport.

On the east end, I would visit some properties I would consider staying at for a week.

Paradise Point

Pavilions and Pools. Each unit has private pool

Secret Harbor

Paradise Cove

Bolongo Bay Resort

That should fill up your day and you'll see places few cruisers see. Maybe you should start on east end so you can eat lunch at Hull Bay.

You can find all these properties on Google maps.