Bit of a Blog : Solstice : Auckland – Fremantle – Sydney : February 14th 2016

NorbertsNiece

A couple of points:

For lane swimmers on board the indoor pool is 11 metres long, only a 100 laps for a decent swim and Thursday morning as you come into Wellington I shall be watching out for you from my lounge room and will again see you off from around the harbour. Thursday is the Solstice's last visit for the season. Next time I see you will be on the 20th March as the B2Bers are getting off and I am getting on. Safe cruising guys

Linda, how are you enjoying the food on Celebrity?

Erik :D

Have enjoyed the soups so far..... much prefer a warm soup to a chilled one. Mains have been ok. I'm really not enthusing so far. It's 'Chic' night tonight and I've pre-ordered 'Tournedos'..... rare..... so will see how it goes.... I'm sticking with my plan to dine in the MDR in the evenings for this cruise so I get to try each menu, and will more than likely opt for Oceanview Cafe and try out the Specialty restaurants next cruise. I'm being sociable and sitting with different people each night..... even at a 2-top the next table is so close you can't walk between them so either way I'm not 'alone'!

Room Service menu is only accessible via the TV. Have approached Guest Services to see if they can get me a printed copy. It's really awkward not seeing everything to be able to make a choice between items.

We had a Captains Club event this lunchtime.... really lovely canapes and various alcoholic drinks on tap. Met the Exec Chef Marius Gitlan and he's promised to look in on me at breakfast the day after tomorrow as I'll be getting off the ship as soon as we tender at 8am tomorrow. Stayed for over an hour which is quite something for me.... a couple on the roll call are so friendly and have much to share about their travels. Read my kindle in the solarium for a bit and had a snooze.

A letter was on my bed on my return :

Blah blah blah..... We are beginning a 35-day cruise over (2) voyages and I would like to tell you about a great new offer to secure your shore excursions for the next leg of this cruise, if you have not already booked them. Space is very limited for tours, especially the Great Barrier Reef so I encourage you to book early so you don't miss out on this once in a lifetime opportunity.

Basically they are offering us 10% off any excursion booked for the next cruise on this one..... paid for by CC and are not subject to existing or future OBC and cannot be cancelled.

Here's today's 'Daily'. I should really read it as I've missed a Glass Show..... Have been invited to drinks with a CC friend and others..... need to think about getting dressed up for 'Chic'.

02-17 - At Sea 1 (1).pdf

We stop en route. A short talk on geology follows, sand dune erosion and ancient mythology. Our guide is easy to listen to and enthuses at length. It was very easy to be caught up in his commentary throughout the day. In the van he used a microphone headpiece so sat at the back I heard everything.

DSCN6222.jpg

We pass kiwi groves

DSCN6223.jpg

DSCN6224.jpg

High fences to protect the crops

DSCN6225.jpg

DSCN6226.jpg

DSCN6227.jpg

Another point for those on the B2B and want to see the Great Barrier Reef. The ships timings surprise, surprise do not lend themselves to a private excursion out to the reef either at Airlie Beach or Cairns so one may have to bite the bullet and take the ships excursion.

Another point for those on the B2B and want to see the Great Barrier Reef. The ships timings surprise, surprise do not lend themselves to a private excursion out to the reef either at Airlie Beach or Cairns so one may have to bite the bullet and take the ships excursion.

We had this discussion on the roll call...... I'd decided early on in the process to book both those ports of call through Royal...... sigh..... so goes against the grain.....

DSCN6228.jpg

DSCN6229.jpg

DSCN6231.jpg

The Kawakawa bush again.....

DSCN6233.jpg

The silver leaf fern..... rather like the story of Hansel and Gretel this fern was used to aid warring Maori to track their journey in to the enemy camp...... as they advanced they would lay the leaf light side up then when retreating, having achieved their aim, they would turn the leaf back over.....

DSCN6237.jpg

DSCN6238.jpg

This will be a very personal day for me.

I've had a couple of careers and several occupations.

Many years ago I was a teacher at a primary school in London where I met an amazing colleague. We really jelled as I've had the privilege to do with very few people in my life. A New Zealand girl, she exuded a unique attitude and together we created a special Maori day for the school presented by the Year 6 children to show what they had learnt.

She was to develop melanoma. With a stoicism and a belief that she had much responsibility to help to cure herself as possible she taught me so much about how to live. Her father and sister were to come and take her back home where she passed away. She was 35. I've always promised myself that I would go to visit her grave so when this cruise popped into my inbox I knew the time was right.

I was able to contact her family on the North Island and I've arranged for a driver for the day so that I can pay my respects. This is what I was eluding to in my first post.

Many years ago I was a teacher at a primary school in London where I met an amazing colleague. We really jelled as I've had the privilege to do with very few people in my life. A New Zealand girl, she exuded a unique attitude and together we created a special Maori day for the school presented by the Year 6 children to show what they had learnt.

She was to develop melanoma. With a stoicism and a belief that she had much responsibility to help to cure herself as possible she taught me so much about how to live. Her father and sister were to come and take her back home where she passed away. She was 35. I've always promised myself that I would go to visit her grave so when this cruise popped into my inbox I knew the time was right.

I was able to contact her family on the North Island and I've arranged for a driver for the day so that I can pay my respects. This is what I was eluding to in my first post.

This is what makes you one of the nicest ladies I've ever met your so selfless and giving, I'm sure your late friend would be so proud you took the time and effort to visit her.

Loving the blog.. :)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Edited by Jason12

Erik :D

Have enjoyed the soups so far..... much prefer a warm soup to a chilled one. Mains have been ok. I'm really not enthusing so far. It's 'Chic' night tonight and I've pre-ordered 'Tournedos'..... rare..... so will see how it goes.... I'm sticking with my plan to dine in the MDR in the evenings for this cruise so I get to try each menu, and will more than likely opt for Oceanview Cafe and try out the Specialty restaurants next cruise. I'm being sociable and sitting with different people each night..... even at a 2-top the next table is so close you can't walk between them so either way I'm not 'alone'!

Room Service menu is only accessible via the TV. Have approached Guest Services to see if they can get me a printed copy. It's really awkward not seeing everything to be able to make a choice between items.

We had a Captains Club event this lunchtime.... really lovely canapes and various alcoholic drinks on tap. Met the Exec Chef Marius Gitlan and he's promised to look in on me at breakfast the day after tomorrow as I'll be getting off the ship as soon as we tender at 8am tomorrow. Stayed for over an hour which is quite something for me.... a couple on the roll call are so friendly and have much to share about their travels. Read my kindle in the solarium for a bit and had a snooze.

A letter was on my bed on my return :

Blah blah blah..... We are beginning a 35-day cruise over (2) voyages and I would like to tell you about a great new offer to secure your shore excursions for the next leg of this cruise, if you have not already booked them. Space is very limited for tours, especially the Great Barrier Reef so I encourage you to book early so you don't miss out on this once in a lifetime opportunity.

Basically they are offering us 10% off any excursion booked for the next cruise on this one..... paid for by CC and are not subject to existing or future OBC and cannot be cancelled.

Here's today's 'Daily'. I should really read it as I've missed a Glass Show..... Have been invited to drinks with a CC friend and others..... need to think about getting dressed up for 'Chic'.

I've only experienced the MDR on X once and I remember not being crazy about it. I usually book Aqua class with X so dined in Blu quit a bit. I love the specialty dining though. Next time go on a ship that has Q'sine and go hungry. lol :p

That is so very sweet Linda. Thank you for sharing that story with us.

This is what makes you one of the nicest ladies I've ever met your so selfless and giving, I'm sure your late friend would be so proud you took the time and effort to visit her.

Loving the blog.. :)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thank you Jase, x

A quick question.

When you arrive at each port on the itinerary, are there regulations to ensure that you are not bringing biscuits or snacks ashore unless they are local products?

Thanks

Yes. The New Zealand bio security message is re-played regularly over the PA system once docked. There are signs at the card scanners as we 'ping' off and so far we've been met by dog handlers on the piers and more signs.

------

I think my main course yesterday may not have been GF; something I ate last night caused a reaction similar to how Gluten behaves for me. I need to be really clear with whoever delivers my food as well as when I order it. Have sat in 2 different areas and I will say something tonight. I'm well. Just a mild reaction to something.

Hearing on TV news about Ankara. Wherever you are in the world stay safe.

A quick question.

When you arrive at each port on the itinerary, are there regulations to ensure that you are not bringing biscuits or snacks ashore unless they are local products?

Thanks

You will find bio security officers at all ports both in NZ and Australia and you will receive announcements ad nauseum advising that no food is to be taken ashore

You will find bio security officers at all ports both in NZ and Australia and you will receive announcements ad nauseum advising that no food is to be taken ashore

Does this apply to biscuits/snacks bought in New Zealand and then taken ashore?

My wife, for health reasons, has to have a snack every 2-3 hours.

Thanks

Does this apply to biscuits/snacks bought in New Zealand and then taken ashore?

My wife, for health reasons, has to have a snack every 2-3 hours.

Thanks

If you require commercial snack like muesli bars, candy etc for diabetics etc then ensure that you declare them to the biosecurity people at the wharf. Most commercially prepared sealed snacks will be permitted but they must be declared. If you have something not permitted across the border and you declare it, it will just be taken off you. If found and not declared the fine is around $NZ400.

The bio security people are there to protect the country not make life difficult for visitors although at times one can get the impression that they are one and the same thing.

May I suggest that you purchase enough snacks for a couple of days whilst ashore. This will make transition ashore easier as your "declared" snacks already are permissible in NZ

If you require commercial snack like muesli bars, candy etc for diabetics etc then ensure that you declare them to the biosecurity people at the wharf. Most commercially prepared sealed snacks will be permitted but they must be declared. If you have something not permitted across the border and you declare it, it will just be taken off you. If found and not declared the fine is around $NZ400.

The bio security people are there to protect the country not make life difficult for visitors although at times one can get the impression that they are one and the same thing.

May I suggest that you purchase enough snacks for a couple of days whilst ashore. This will make transition ashore easier as your "declared" snacks already are permissible in NZ

Thanks again, and apologize for going off topic.

We appreciate that NZ has special concerns in this area,

A quick question.

Thanks

Thank you Jase, x

Yes. The New Zealand bio security message is re-played regularly over the PA system once docked. There are signs at the card scanners as we 'ping' off and so far we've been met by dog handlers on the piers and more signs.

And they don't mess around either. they will sic their cute little dogs on you :p

No dogs this morning. Personal bag check. Brought box of English Tea with me to gift. No problem at all.

Thanks for all of your postings.

We are certainly looking forward to seeing these impressive dogs in action.