Bit of a Blog : Solstice : Auckland – Fremantle – Sydney : February 14th 2016

NorbertsNiece

Don't you just hate it when you're in the middle of uploading pictures and Windows 10 decides it needs to update the laptop and performs a restart without so much as an if you please?

Who is the Captain, Cruise Director & Captain's Club Host on this sailing?

The Master is Captain Yannis Berdos; the CD is Ben Powney; Captain's Club host is Rose Dalisay.

Edited by NorbertsNiece

Before the laptop crashed a few pics uploaded so here's what I have so far.

On Royal I was used to taking a pic of the day of the week in the lifts / elevators so here is a shot of the TV today.....

DSCN6048.jpg

Elite breakfast menu from Tuscan Grill; the OJ they have on offer isn't freshly squeezed. It's frozen freshly squeezed. I passed on that.

DSCN6049.jpg

DSCN6050.jpg

That's a strawberry smoothie and really dry GF toast with the smoked salmon plate.

DSCN6051.jpg

DSCN6052.jpg

The lady giving out maps tells me she has known for passengers to miss the last tender back and then having to be transported Tauranga!!

DSCN6059.jpg

DSCN6060.jpg

On the hunt for prohibited items

DSCN6062.jpg

DSCN6063.jpg

DSCN6064.jpg

The walk to the Waitangi Treaty Grounds is scenic, easy and well signed.

DSCN6066.jpg

Really enjoying "sailing" with you. I particularly loved the picture of the working Beagle. You can see by my avatar that I am a Beagle lover. I was allowed to pet the Beagle in Bermuda as he was off duty! Made my day.

I just love dogs. This is Colin. He is my granddog and was 7 on Valentine's day.... still struggling to upload the rest of today's pics. Hang in there!!

12742766_545310598961480_4960081710833469938_n.jpg?oh=421cc6c409b6b7a125882723323d0c3d&oe=576613D6

When you guys get into Sydney for those doing the B@B we will be waiting to take your place. I am interested in knowing what sort of deals can be negotiated for the specialty restaurants

There was a 2 for 1 offer at Silk Harvest on boarding day..... I'll keep an eye out on the 3rd for you for the others. There were no drinks package offers on boarding day. I'll certainly be looking to try the specialty restaurants on the next cruise as well as Oceanview for dinner..... have seen someone with sushi which is my comfort food; have decided to stick with the MDR for this cruise however so I can at least sample the whole menu.

I had lunch at the Mast Grill today..... the Aquaspa had closed by the time I got back on board and I'd assumed (wrongly as it happens) that Oceanview would be shut so I opted for a burger and a frankfurter with the burger fillings without the buns..... was really delicious!! Highly recommend. There was clearly Gluten in something I ate but was worth it!!

Edited by NorbertsNiece

Don't you just hate it when you're in the middle of uploading pictures and Windows 10 decides it needs to update the laptop and performs a restart without so much as an if you please?

The Master is Captain Yannis Berdos; the CD is Ben Powney; Captain's Club host is Rose Dalisay.

Lots of crew changes then. Say hi to Rose :)

There was a 2 for 1 offer at Silk Harvest on boarding day..... I'll keep an eye out on the 3rd for you for the others. There were no drinks package offers on boarding day. I'll certainly be looking to try the specialty restaurants on the next cruise as well as Oceanview for dinner..... have seen someone with sushi which is my comfort food; have decided to stick with the MDR for this cruise however so I can at least sample the whole menu.

I had lunch at the Mast Grill today..... the Aquaspa had closed by the time I got back on board and I'd assumed (wrongly as it happens) that Oceanview would be shut so I opted for a burger and a frankfurter with the burger fillings without the buns..... was really delicious!! Highly recommend. There was clearly Gluten in something I ate but was worth it!!

At different stages outside the Oceanview there will be one of the assistant maitre'ds touting for specialty business especially if there is a slow takeup on the restaurants. This in the past was mainly for Tuscan Grill and Silk Harvest so I would appreciate your comments going forward. I dont expect and drinks packages offers apart from "rack rate" right up until about 3 days out from Perth.

Enjoying the comments and photos too date. Brings back memories of our B2B cruise last year

Ok I'm pretty much done in. Will leave the laptop turning over this upload and go to bed. Going with roll call friends on an excursion tomorrow in Tauranga so will need to be good to go..... I slept relatively well last night, only woke once..... clearly the motion of the ocean working its magic. I tried to watch the Aussie Boys honest I did...... managed the first number and headed back to my room with a glass of Bailey's during the next.

The timings have changed but you get the idea. Will link to the tour operator if I can recommend.

9:30 Depart for Rotorua stopping at Maunganui Beach, Okere Falls and the Rain Forest

11:30 Arrive Te Puia for the Geysers, mud pools, kiwi birds, carving school.

13:00 Lunch

13:30 Depart Geothermal Village

13:40 Arrive Geothermal Village

14:00 Concert at Geothermal Village

15:30 Depart Geothermal Village for Government Gardens or Kuirau Park (for you to decide on the day)

16:30 Depart Rotorua

17:45 Arrive ship

Interesting you got celebrity pillow chocolates. We stayed in Aqua class on the Solstice in January and got what looked like halloween candy.

We had Cadbury Favourites every night on our bed or as part of our towel animal :D

Maybe with the change in Hotel Director (I think Mario has already departed) the chocolate selection has changed :rolleyes:

On the cruise over Christmas they had Valrhona chocolate, alternating between milk and dark. I was in heaven!

Not all images uploaded....

DSCN6077.jpg

DSCN6078.jpg

Independent New Zealand

In 1835 an assembly of rangatira (tribal leaders) at Waitangi put their signatures to a document that declared this country's independence. They asked the British Government for its recognition and they got it. There was a short film depicting the event.

DSCN6080.jpg

DSCN6081.jpg

DSCN6082.jpg

The Flagstaff..... if you squint you can see Solstice in the background.... marks the spot where the Treaty of Waitangi was signed on Feb 6th 1840. It was erected by the New Zealand Navy in 1947. The flags flying are three official New Zealand flags : the Flag of the United Tribes of New Zealand (from 1834), the Union Flag (from 1840) and the New Zealand Flag (from 1902)

DSCN6100.jpg

The carved Meeting House, Te Whare Runanga stands facing the Treaty House. The two buildings together symbolise the partnership between Maori and the British Crown. The Meeting House was opened on 6th Feb 1940, the centenary of the signing of the Treaty of Waitangi.

DSCN6101.jpg

DSCN6104.jpg

DSCN6102.jpg

DSCN6103.jpg

DSCN6105.jpg

DSCN6119.jpg

DSCN6120.jpg

DSCN6121.jpg

DSCN6122.jpg

Each pillar is unique

DSCN6123.jpg

I head back to the pier...... They had various shows / activities I could have participated in but I wanted to see Paihia and Russell so regretfully had to leave. This is well worth spending a day at..... there's a cafe.... I've not really shown half of the documented and illustrated story of who the Maori are and the real sense of their amazing character and fortitude that led them to achieve this remarkable outcome. Their psyche is extraordinary.... I am in awe.

DSCN6089.jpg

I was up at silly o'clock this morning so had some time to kill to battle with the internet..... everything is so slow web pages time out...... very frustrating when I'm trying to reassure myself that a payment for a tour today actually went through.

Here are the dailies for the 15th, Bay of Islands and today the 16th, Tauranga.

02-15 - Bay of Islands, New Zealand (1).pdf

02-16 - Tauranga, New Zealand (1).pdf