Please help me decide- Athens only or Athens and Corinith?

emarismom

We are a family of four who will have two days in Athens (Overnight on a cruise). Originally I was planning on DIY in Athens on the first day, then a 1/2 day tour to Corinith with PK Travel on the second with a drop off at the airport.

Now I am reconsidering. I will be traveling with a 17 year old and a 20 year old. We will be seeing a lot of ruins. I am thinking Corinith maybe too much.

Would I be better off getting the 2 day Hop On Hop Off in Athens? On the second day we would take a taxi to drop our luggage at the luggage storage place in Monskrati (sp), then use the Hop On Hop Off for the day. Transferring by taxi to the airport in the afternoon.

The tour with PK is 250 euro, but I think that my kids may be over the ruins at that point.

Is it just Corinth or Corinth and Mycenae? Adding Mycenae would let them see the Lion Gate, the wonderful little museum with Agamemnon's mask, etc.

If it is just Corinth, ask for a visit to the canal. You will see the "sinking" bridge that lets the boats go by and you should be able to take a boat ride in the canal. Your kids will enjoy that.

Sounds like we had a similar plan to yours, only in reverse.

We were in Athens for a couple of days this summer before our 14-day cruise. On our last day, we were picked up at our Athens hotel then did the half-day trip to Corinth and the Canal, then were dropped off at the cruise ship.

Our land and cruise excursions included many ruins: Athens, Corinth, Akrotiri, Palace of Knossos, Lindos, Ephesus, Pompeii, Rome... to name a few. There are so many amazing places to visit ruins on a Mediterranean cruise.

Since Corinth would be at the end of your trip, your kids might be "ruined" out.

I am glad I went to Corinth, even though I've been to many historical ruins. It was worth it to me, because of it's biblical significance. To visit locations where New Testament events took place is pretty cool.

Enjoy your trip, the Mediterranean region is amazing!

I love ruins, and I have been to Corinth twice. Having said that, you may indeed find that everyone is "ruined out" especially if you are planning to see lots of other ruins on your cruise. Corinth in and of itself is not extremely impressive without some context. You may be better off just spending the time in Athens over 2 days...

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
The hill-top fortress in Corinth is quite unique and really worth a visit. There is nothing but rock all around there. It has so much history, and the view is spectacular.

I agree!

Also the museum of Corinth has some amazing artifacts! Moreover you can visit the waterland that is near to Corinth if you want to please your children.

Also the museum of Corinth has some amazing artifacts! Moreover you can visit the waterland that is near to Corinth if you want to please your children.

I totally agree re: the museum in Corinth. I really enjoy it when historic places have their own "on site" museum -- it makes it so much easier to put the archaeology of the site and the artifacts together in my mind, rather than having them all in one giant museum somewhere.

Corinth is a good example. I also like the small museums at Mycenae, Epidavros, and especially the one in the Greek agora in Athens.