Guarantee

BOOFER9

Usually it's the day before your cruise. Twice we didn't know our cabin assignment until we checked in at the port. This really sucked because we couldn't place tags on our luggage to check them at the curb.
It's not too big a problem. We found out our cabin number after leaving home a couple of times. The porters have plenty of blank luggage tags. It just takes an extra minute or two to write your cabin number on tags and affix it to your bags.

I have gotten my assignment the day after I booked a gty. I have gotten my assignment a week before the cruise.

I am sitting on two unassigned gtys right now. It is a big old waiting game!

So what is reasoning for picking Gty cabins? Are they a better value than picking an known assigned cabin?

~~Joel~~

So what is reasoning for picking Gty cabins? Are they a better value than picking an known assigned cabin?

~~Joel~~

A Guarantee cabin is usually the cheapest price for Inside, Outside, Balcony, etc. For example, on my cruise coming up in March, I booked an Inside Guarantee. It was the cheapest priced cabin on the ship. A few weeks later I was assigned a mid ship inside on Aloha deck. If I had chosen that particular cabin when I booked, it would have been $130 PP more than what I paid. So, it's a bit of a gamble. But I've always gotten some sort of an upgrade when booking a Guarantee.

We, almost always pick a guaranteed cabin. The price is always less than picking one, sometimes a little, sometimes a lot. We are on the transatlantic Spanish passage in April and booked a guaranteed balcony for $1069pp with a $600 cabin OBC. The cheapest balcony princess shows right now is $1874. While it's true that we may at some point get a bad location, for the several times we have done it, the cabin was always as good or better than expected. We are on the 4/22 sailing and still do not have an assignment yet either. I was told by my TA that the guarantee cabins are assigned after the ship sells out.

I was told by my TA that the guarantee cabins are assigned after the ship sells out.
Your TA is wrong. Guarantee cabins are assigned whenever Princess wants to do so. Sometimes they're assigned early--even before the final payment date. Other times we've had to wait until the last minute, including once after the start of the land portion of our cruise tour.