Alaska in September

Iamsailing

My wife and i are thinking about Alaska in early September is this to late in the season , What will we see and what will we miss

Many thanks

We did Alaska 10 throu 17 September this year, and it was glorious. You will see plenty, and you won't be able to take it all in.

The weather for us was perfect. We had one half day of rain while in Juneau, otherwise, it was sunny and beautiful.

We were able to see whales, seals, glaciers, beautiful sunsets, and almost the Northern Lights.

They were visible to some, and not to some. They were visible around 2AM, and these old eyes had been closed several hours by then.

We took Murray's Yukon Highway trip by renting a car through Avis. This was a glorious photo op the entire trip. So glad that we did that.

Now, the downside - the weather for the cruise right after ours, which left on 17 September, did not have our wonderful weather.

So, I guess it is a chance you take. We were absolutely prepared for rain, and had taken layering clothing - lightweight thermals, all the way to a medium weight jacket.

We did use jackets several times out on deck, but usually, a warm shirt or sweater was fine.

Good luck, and regardless of weather, you will absolutely love Alaska. We are already planning our next cruise - right back to Alaska!

We were on the Sept. 17 -24 sailing of the Radiance. The temperatures were in the 50s. The only day we had rain was in Juneau which the whales and seals didn't seem to mind. The next day- Skagway was overcast and very windy. We took a bus tour into the Yukon where the weather was beautiful, sunny and clear skies. Due to the season, the fall foliage was magnifcent. The day at Hubbard Glacier was partly cloudy- perfect viewing conditions for the glacier. The Captain got the ship as close as possibe to the glacier. The day at Ketchican was sunny and warmer as was the next day. Most of the time we wore medium weight jackets which to me was a welcome relief from the oppressive heat we had all summer in NY. From what I hear the weather in Alaska can be unpredictable at any time.

Two years ago we took our then 2nd trip in Sept.to Alaska and we felt it was the best time to go. As everyone said make sure you layer your clothes, take raingear, just be prepared. The leave had already started to turn especially in the Yukon. It was a fabulous site. Our favorite times to go to Alaska is in May and early Sept. Have a great cruise.

Marilyn

Now, the downside - the weather for the cruise right after ours, which left on 17 September, did not have our wonderful weather.

Sailaways is right, that was our cruise! We still had a wonderful time, but after viewing our pics, I told my DH I was glad he had a red rainjacket, as that was the only color in our pictures! Earlier is better in September, but the weather can "turn on you" at any time. :cool:

we did Alaska 3 Sept this year and we were told we had the best weather of all the trips the ship had made this year. The colours were lovely and we also had the advantage of all the close out sales in the shops

Archived