Airport transfers

Jay23

We will be disembarking from Sojourn on 8th September in Monte Carlo (Monaco)

There is no Roll Call for this cruise at the moment so I am asking my question here. Does anyone know the best way to get from the Port to Nice Airport? There is a train from Nice but I suspect the taxi drivers won't be too happy to do Monte Carlo to Nice train station.

Taxi seems quite expensive for 2 people and without a Roll Call finding someone to share is problematical.

Many thanks. J

revelations-tours.com very reliable, comfortable vehicles reasonable rates

We have used them Monte Carlo to Nice Airport several times and Avignon to Villefrance etc etc.Michel is a great connection to have in the South of France. You may like take a tour en route if you have some time pre flight.

The 11 mile journey between Nice airport and Monaco must be one of the most expensive taxi rides anywhere. My parents in law live down there so I'm sadly familiar with the costs of getting around from the airport!

Depending how much you're prepared to pay, there is a bus - do you do buses? - from Monaco to Nice Airport. It's the Airport Express bus, number 110. Takes around 45 minutes and costs 18 euro. This still leaves you with the issue of getting from the port to the bus stop at Place d'Armes. Honestly for the hassle, and if there are two of you, I'd strongly recommend a car service. Public transport locally is good; clean and reliable but such a hassle with suitcases etc.

We did a Monaco- Monaco with SB in September with family and friends from different places in Europe and in the end everyone decided to book one of the local limo services back to the airport. Costs between 80-95 euro. As Chairsin suggests, SB will definitely book a transfer for you but even I was shocked by the cost of it compared to the local car services.

And the best way to do the transfer is by helicopter. They pick you up at the quayside and whisk you to the heliport. 10 minutes down the coast to the airport. It's fabulous and everyone should try it at least once. But it's rather more expensive than a taxi ;)

I've just had another thought. What time is your flight?

SB did have the usual transfer/tour combination on offer for a reasonable price. I think it was for flights leaving after 3.30pm. Our flight was at 12.30pm so we couldn't use that. I think they did a quick tour around Monte Carlo and went to Nice flower market too, this was on a Saturday.

Hi N. Thank you for the helicopter suggestion!! I must agree that seems the best option. Maybe if we make a killing at the tables...........

The tour idea is also a good one, We have no flight booked yet! We are staying overnight in a hotel in Nice, taking the train from the airport to the hotel the day before the cruise. We could easily make our return flight fit the SB tour.

Thank you so much for this information. J

Just do not book a private limo company called Guidoon. A few years ago we and another couple on our cruise were left stranded at the port when the cars failed to show up (and we had paid in advance). As to the transfer which we took last time they did specify your flight could not depart prior to 11:30. As I recall the price for the two of us was a bit less than a private transfer but we booked it because it was convenient and we had some unspent shipboard credit. And yes, they also offer the "tour" transfer if you have a later flight. The only thing I would be wary of is depending on just getting a taxi as there are so few taxis in Monaco and the line of passengers waiting for them is long. As to the train, it is about a ten minute walk from the port but I am not sure you would want to do this with luggage -- though I have seen some fellow passengers (a group of young German flight attendants) do it. And others can confirm or dispute this but I did not think the train went to the airport in Nice.

Oh thank you everyone. The Seabourn transfer seems the best bet and we will be making enquiries about this with our TA or Seabourn.

Regarding Taxis in Monaco, we feel sure if we go that route we need to have it booked in advanced (but NOT Guidoon!!)

My countdown clock is showing the wrong date!! I can't find away to edit it so it will have to stay the way it is.

Maybe there will be a Roll Call later in the year. We have a long time to go before September. J

Edited by Jay23

Hi N. Thank you for the helicopter suggestion!! I must agree that seems the best option. Maybe if we make a killing at the tables...........

The tour idea is also a good one, We have no flight booked yet! We are staying overnight in a hotel in Nice, taking the train from the airport to the hotel the day before the cruise. We could easily make our return flight fit the SB tour.

Thank you so much for this information. J

Promise yourselves you'll take the helicopter one day, it's amazing. Flying over the Med with superb views.

I'll have a look to see if I still have the transfer info from our cruise and will update here if I do. I think I binned it in disgust when I saw how much they wanted for a private transfer but the tour option was much more sensibly priced.

Charsin, yes you're correct, it's a bus transfer to the airport from Nice railway stations. There was talk of extending the rail line out to the airport or building a people mover similar to the one in Miami. This was several years ago, I think the powerful taxi unions put a stop to it.

About the tour/airport transfer, I've just realised that the details should already be online and accessible from your booking.

Login to 'My Seabourn', find your reservation, go to the excursions section and there's a drop down menu. Choose the last option which should be Monaco and one of the tours there will give you the details including cost and time of arrival at the airport. SB changed their website a couple of months prior to our last cruise and I can't remember exactly the steps to get to the excursion selection on the new format, but it should be there. Somewhere! (I don't like the new format at all).

We will be disembarking from Sojourn on 8th September in Monte Carlo (Monaco)

There is no Roll Call for this cruise at the moment so I am asking my question here. Does anyone know the best way to get from the Port to Nice Airport? There is a train from Nice but I suspect the taxi drivers won't be too happy to do Monte Carlo to Nice train station.

Taxi seems quite expensive for 2 people and without a Roll Call finding someone to share is problematical.

Many thanks. J

Seabourn provides a several-hour morning tour of the Eze area, and then drops you off at the Nice Airport around noon.

I agree the helicopter is the best option and certainly the most fun. But it is much more expensive than a car service. But do not book Seabourn's bus transfer. By the time you pay the per person charger for that you can have a private car take you for the same or less. Another good service is Dreamtours.

I can't believe what lot of really helpful info you have given especially as I realise my Title was so vague.!!!

All of it will be looked into. I can see that the taxi drivers in Monaco are definitely on the make, but that is the way of the world I am afraid. J

The Seabourn excursion which goes to Eze and Nice is worthwhile if you haven't been to those parts before. We've been to the area lots of times, and helicopter is great, but if you have a few hour to kill until an afternoon flight the Seabourn option is, in my view, best overall value. If you go by taxi, hire car or helicopter you still have to wait with luggage at the other end. The tour bus is very convenient.