HAL Triple Denali (land 1st ex Vancouver)

Shiraz49

Hi travelling from Australia to do the Triple Denali tour with HAL, land portion commencing in Vancouver 12th July travelling via Whitehorse, Dawson City, Fairbanks, Denali NP, Anchorage and then Sweard to begin 7 night southbound cruise.

Love to hear from anyone that has done this tour and their thoughts as well as anything that resembles an itinerary (currently just very vague).

Not sure about the bus trip from Whitehorse to Dawson City, 10+ hours or have I got that wrong, Flights from Vancouver to Whitehorse and later Dawson City to Fairbanks is OK but that long on a bus ??? Does it stop for sightseeing/wildlife??

I'm a Gold Prospector here in Australia and wondered what if any opportunities exist in that region to get a bit the yellow stuff.

Open to any thoughts, suggestions, tips for the unwary and you "must Do" suggestions.

Cheers Tom & Maureen

To get more details, copy your itinerary, dates, times, mode of transportation is needed.

You are cruising in/out of Seward?

Sorry, but you aren't going to have any opportunity for any "real" gold panning- it's all going to be seeded, without your own transportation. Yes, you have long hours on a bus. Wildlife is stopped for, but don't expect a lot of it. It's a vast spread out area.

Your best opportunity for wildlife is Denali Park, with your extra day/s, if a priority then, get back INTO the park to at least Eielson, via the shuttle bus.

did you look thru the trip reports for HAL cruisetours?

This one from 2014 isn't the same as yours but will give you an idea on travel times. http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=43238897#post43238897

Thanks, yes booked through HAL Cruisetours (Y1 - Triple Denali), that review looks quite detailed will spend some time reading and digesting the info.

Cheers Tom & Maureen

To get more details, copy your itinerary, dates, times, mode of transportation is needed.

You are cruising in/out of Seward?

Thanks BQ ... we cruise out of Seward following the 'land' portion of the tour ... only info we have so far is the brochure details.

Coming from Australia we realise Alaska is not dissimilar with great distances between localities.

May just have to wait till cruise docs come through.

Cheers Tom & Maureen

IMG_0249.jpg.bfce7d2e26972a0892113f1d23b580f7.jpg

IMG_0250.jpg.0a461bd31b03ea925c0fe8d34a31cc1c.jpg

Hi travelling from Australia to do the Triple Denali tour with HAL, land portion commencing in Vancouver 12th July travelling via Whitehorse, Dawson City, Fairbanks, Denali NP, Anchorage and then Sweard to begin 7 night southbound cruise.

Love to hear from anyone that has done this tour and their thoughts as well as anything that resembles an itinerary (currently just very vague).

Not sure about the bus trip from Whitehorse to Dawson City, 10+ hours or have I got that wrong, Flights from Vancouver to Whitehorse and later Dawson City to Fairbanks is OK but that long on a bus ??? Does it stop for sightseeing/wildlife??

I'm a Gold Prospector here in Australia and wondered what if any opportunities exist in that region to get a bit the yellow stuff.

Open to any thoughts, suggestions, tips for the unwary and you "must Do" suggestions.

Cheers Tom & Maureen

You will love this trip. I hope you will have 2 hights in Dawson City as that is your best opportunity (along with Skagway) to learn about the gold rush. You might enjoy reading Klondike Fever by Pierre Berton and I Married the Klondike by Laura Beatrice Berton (his mother) who gives a wonderful account of her life in Dawson City during that time.

The bus trip between Whitehorse and Dawson City is a long day but broken up with stops along the way. It is all part of the history of the gold rush.

I've done it three times. Each time has seen changes from the time before but each has been a worthwhile experience. You really need two nights in Dawson and maybe two in Whitehorse. The last time we did it we had two nights in Skagway before we met the ship.

It looks like you are taking the Y1, 20 days? Good choice!

Edited by oaktreerb

You will love this trip. I hope you will have 2 hights in Dawson City You might enjoy reading Klondike Fever by Pierre Berton and I Married the Klondike by Laura Beatrice Berton (his mother) who gives a wonderful account of her life in Dawson City during that time.

It looks like you are taking the Y1, 20 days? Good choice!

Yes the full 20 days ... 2 nights in Dawson City but 1 will be after the 10+hour bus trip so really only 1 full day.

Will checkout those titles to help put me in a Klondike frame of mind.

Been trying to check some previous trip reviews to get an appreciation of how much free time is available.

Would love to get to Hope but it looks like a 2.5 hour bus out of Anchorage, shame there isn't a ferry service or such.

Thanks,

Tom & Maureen

Yes the full 20 days ... 2 nights in Dawson City but 1 will be after the 10+hour bus trip so really only 1 full day.

Will checkout those titles to help put me in a Klondike frame of mind.

Been trying to check some previous trip reviews to get an appreciation of how much free time is available.

Would love to get to Hope but it looks like a 2.5 hour bus out of Anchorage, shame there isn't a ferry service or such.

Thanks,

Tom & Maureen

These tours, do get excellent reviews but unfortunately, some of the changes with HAL, have eliminated some previous highlights.

It is only 1 1/2 hour drive to Hope. I don't know of any "bus" service there? Simple to drive, if you consider a rental car. A LOT of activities in the Girdwood/Portage area on the way.