St Petersburg Tour For A Couple Confusion

chris43

This is our first cruise and we have booked Regal Princess for July 2016 with a 2 day visit to St Petersburg.

I have been looking at the forum and web pages and I am a lot confused about the visa free tours that everyone seems so keen about and the guides that they recommend.

As the heading says we are a couple - 2 people - and as such a private tour is horribly expensive if you look at the price for 2 people - many seem reasonable at 16 people!. We are hoping to find a tour that is not price dependent on the number of people that we book.

The place we would like to go that do not seem to be on all tours include the Faberge museum, the Hydrofoil & the Railway Museum. If we cannot find a reasonable price tour that includes them we would happily consider a standard tour.

Advice please.

Edited by chris43

This is our first cruise and we have booked Regal Princess for July 2016 with a 2 day visit to St Petersburg.

I have been looking at the forum and web pages and I am a lot confused about the visa free tours that everyone seems so keen about and the guides that they recommend.

As the heading says we are a couple - 2 people - and as such a private tour is horribly expensive if you look at the price for 2 people - many seem reasonable at 16 people!. We are hoping to find a tour that is not price dependent on the number of people that we book.

The place we would like to go that do not seem to be on all tours include the Faberge museum, the Hydrofoil & the Railway Museum. If we cannot find a reasonable price tour that includes them we would happily consider a standard tour.

Advice please.

Welcome to Cruise Critic. Your post suggests that you do not yet know about the Roll Call section of this web site. Roll Call allows you to be in touch with other people who will be on the same cruise. Go to the Home Page for this Northern Europe board and near the top of the page, you'll see a cream-colored bar with different links. One is titled "Roll Call Tool." Click on this link and it will take you to a list of all the upcoming cruises for which a roll call has been established. If no roll call yet exists, I assume you'll be able to start one the same way you'd start any new thread.

After the flurry of introductions on a Roll Call, the members get down to the business of exchanging ideas about private tours -- setting up tour groups -- exchanging tips about good tour providers -- in each of the ports on the itinerary. This would be especially important if you want to go to some unusual places. (I wouldn't put the Faberge Museum in that category. By the Hydrofoil, do you mean traveling to Peterhof via Hydrofoil or simply taking a Hydrofoil ride?) You might want to be the tour organizer if you have specific desires are aren't exactly standard. You'll definitely find some people who might not have put the Faberge Museum on their list, but are more than happy to go there once you've made the arrangements and they can get the benefits of joining a group .

A couple of the recommended tour providers offer their own group-forming service. You can sign up with strangers via the tour company's web site. But I'd definitely begin by becoming an active participant in your roll call.

Since you're largely unfamiliar with the function and benefits of a roll call, if your roll call isn't active yet, go to another roll call that has lots of posts. Check out this roll call those simply to learn how a roll call works. The benefits you'll take away from your roll call are definitely related to the work you put into it!

Edited by Pet Nit Noy

If you want a fantastic tour for two people for a reasonable price, look at Anastasia Travel. We used them last September and a private tour for just my husband and me, along with a guide and a driver, cost $300 per person. They were terrific from start to finish and I recommend them without reservation. http://anastasia.travel/en/2-day-tours. Here is a link to our Trip Advisor review: http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowUserReviews-g298507-d3136991-r315888745-Anastasia_Travel_Group_Day_Tours-St_Petersburg_Northwestern_District.html#CHECK_RATES_CONT

Advice please.

@chris,

As others have suggested, the Roll Call for your cruise is the place to start. A few years ago, I was in the same situation, and posted on the Roll Call looking for like-minded travellers to share a private tour in SPB. Quickly found 2 other couples, and arranged a private tour for the 6 of us with Red October. They were excellent, and customized a tour to include what we wanted to see over the three days we were in port. Our guide was Katya Chystiakova, who I recommend without reservation. She was great. Transport was a comfortable 8-passenger van, driven by Ivan (who knew his way around the city). They took care of the visas, and we breezed through Immigration each morning ahead of the hordes taking the cruise line's bus tour.

A (competent) private guide is definitely the way to get the most out of your brief visit to that amazing city.

Hi Chris

Let me also join in on welcoming you to Cruise Critic and to our little corner of the site. All the info you have already gotten is great and right to the point.

Your roll call is where you need to begin, but since you do have a few preferences, don't give up on them. Almost all the major tour companies in St Petersburg, will bend over backwards to try and make your tour there as exciting and pleasurable as possible. If you want to go to the Faberge museum, then do keep it in mind.

What you also need to do is contact a few of the tour companies always mentioned here and tell them when you are touring and look at their itineraries and see which ones you feel most comfortable with. All do basically the same tours but each company offers slight differences which might or might not appeal to you. Like we chose SPB Tours because we felt so comfortable with Victoria, the owner, and they had us go to Russian Restaurants for lunch on both days of our 2 day tour. Other companies may do it one day, while another may just offer a boxed lunch/ We wanted to visit a real Russian restaurant, so that really tipped the scale towards SPB Tours.

Again, you do have to do some homework, so contact the tour companies, what they are offering, which you feel comfortable with. Then you have a better idea of which company you may want to tour with. If no one on your roll call is using them, then you try and organize a group. Start by telling people what your plans are and asking is anyone wants to join you to form a group. When we toured, that is what I did and before long we had over 30 people signing up. It took 2 separate buses to accommodate everyone,. but we all had a magnificent time.

Cheers

Len

Also, please note that these tours are paid for in dollars. Last year when the rouble was low, some people reported on these forums that they were able to take private tours for just their families for less than the price the websites listed through reputable tour guide companies. I don't know if the tour guide companies are still willing to negotiate (they all quoted me a standard price the same as their website in 2014 when I took a private tour with just my family but the rouble was a lot stronger in 2014). It might be worth an email to see if they are willing to be flexible and if that doesn't work, I'd try to organize a group on your roll call.

Edited by kitkat343

Hi there,

I am totally new to cruising and have booked on a celebrity Baltic cruise. I immediately booked on a couple of the ship's excursions in st Petersburg as I was told that it was the only way to sightsee without sorting out our own visas and that they get booked up quickly. I have since discovered this forum and discovered the option of independent tours which also arrange the visas and which also have better reviews than the ships' tours. I would be most grateful if someone could point me towards an uptodate list of the recommended tour companies that include the visas.

Thank you very much

Edited by Dottymac

... as I was told that it was the only way to sightsee without sorting out our own visas and that they get booked up quickly. I have since discovered this forum and discovered the option of independent tours which also arrange the visas and which also have better reviews than the ships' tours. I would be most grateful if someone could point me towards an uptodate list of the recommended tour companies that include the visas.

You probably haven't heard the end of lies from your cruise line on the subject of visiting St. Petersburg. Stay strong and come here often for hand holding. Some of the cruise line's communication will be pretty intimidating.

A list of the type you've asked about doesn't exist on this board. However, if you go to Trip Advisor and look up "St Petersburg," "Things to Do," and, finally, "Tours", you'll find a useful list. If you compare the names on Trip Advisor's list with the names that appear most often on this N. Europe & Baltic board, you'll see there's a tremendous amount of overlap.

Do not obsess about whether a tour company is number one or number ten on the Trip Advisor list. For example, one of the favorites on this boards, Best Guides, is ranked at #10. Given the praise Best Guides regularly receives from lots of posters here, you'll be a very happy customer. Or in our case, we were thrilled with our tour using White Nights Travel. At the time of booking, they were ranked #10 on Trip Advisor. Now, they're #6. I can't believe the company has gotten any better since we thought they were flawless.

Although I've already said all of the top names are excellent, there are some details that might make one better for you. One has a reputation for being better with children. One has a reputation for being better for wholly custom tours. One is known for going places which offer glimpses into the life of the ordinary St Petersburg citizen as part of the standard tour. Definitely write to a couple of names to get the answers to your questions.

Here's a link to a thread with 140 posts titled, "SPB tours, Best Guides, Alla etc… any difference" which basically answers your question.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1640607

Just read that thread and I'm confident your next step will be clearer.

Dottymac-

Check out the roll call for your cruise. People may have already started forming groups for tours and you can join out of those if you choose. Often times the groups are with different tour companies. Check out the tour companies and join a tour group for the company you prefer, if one is formed. We have been to St Pete twice and used Alla and SPB, both excellent. This time we have a private, just the two of us, tour booked with Best Guides to go to Novgorod on the first day and walking tour on the second day. They have been great to work with.

<<<Karen>>>

Dotty

All the info you have been given is excellent. Go to your roll call, investigate Trip Advisor, but most important read, read and read some more. This forum is just a wealth of info for anyone cruising the Baltics. Go back several pages or even several month. Many of the topics have been discussed over and over again and you will gain a wealth of knowledge.

First thing you need to do is cancel your ship's excursions, That will be the best move you make. Eventually, once you see who are the main players in St Petersburg, you will need to contact a few of them. They all do about the same thing, but there are some minor differences. Talk to them, via email or whatever and see who you feel most comfortable with. See if there is a tour from that company that people are going on from your roll call, If not then ask if any others might want to join you on a tour with that particular company. Remember group tours are usually cheaper than a 2 person private one. Everyone who posts here will tell you that they simply loved the company that they chose to see St Petersburg with so there are NO wrong choices, as long as you stick to the top tier companies.

Once thing is for sure, you will love the Baltics. Once you get a bit educated, ask anything that you feel the need to know. If you are adventurous, all the other ports you can do on your own, very easily and we are here to help you every step of the way.

Cheers

Len

Advice please.

Chris, Certain 'Russian Gov't Approved' Tour Agencies offer tours that won't require you to get a VISA before you sail. Such a tour with Alla, SPB, etc etc. exempt you from needing a VISA, just as Princess' tours exempt them from needing one. If you go that route...that Tour Agency will 'bundle you up' with others who also contacted them before sailing. But, If you want to simply wander aimlessly around St.Pete after walking down the Princess Gangway...you need a VISA from Russian Authorities well before you sail. Comprende' ?? Enjoy. Locomotiveman Tom

Thanks Giantfan13. I have cancelled the ship's excursions in St Petersburg and contacted a few independent companies. I think I have decided which one to go with - just waiting for confirmation.

In terms of the other ports of call we plan to do our own thing mostly - I normally do quite a bit of researching before going anywhere so I expect this forum will be very useful for that.

One other "newbie" question - what would happen if we didn't get back to the ship on time? We have booked on the ship's trip to Berlin which basically sorts the train out for us and gives us some info but then we do our own thing in Berlin. What would happen if there was a problem with the train on the way back and we were late?

Thanks Giantfan13. I have cancelled the ship's excursions in St Petersburg and contacted a few independent companies. I think I have decided which one to go with - just waiting for confirmation.

In terms of the other ports of call we plan to do our own thing mostly - I normally do quite a bit of researching before going anywhere so I expect this forum will be very useful for that.

One other "newbie" question - what would happen if we didn't get back to the ship on time? We have booked on the ship's trip to Berlin which basically sorts the train out for us and gives us some info but then we do our own thing in Berlin. What would happen if there was a problem with the train on the way back and we were late?

If you are on the "ship's train or bus," the ship will wait for you. If you are with another tour guide or on your own and you get stuck in traffic, etc., then in theory, the ship would not wait for you. But, keep in mind that the ship's own buses and trains use the same rails and roads so they could still be waiting for their own buses/trains which would be delayed along with yours. The tour guides wouldn't stay in business very long if they missed a ship, so as long as you don't miss your transport back to Warnemunde, you should be fine.

Dotty

Is this a ship's sponsored excursion? If so, as the last poster said, the ship is required to wait until they arrive.

Several of the tour companies in St Petersburg offer trips to other ports, most notably Berlin. Obviously, if they encounter a problem the ship will not wait, but I believe all offer a guarantee, that if, for some unknown reason, the ship sails without you, they will get you to the next port of call at their expense.

That said, nothing is ever written in stone, but I have been on this forum for over 5 years and have NEVER heard of any tour, ship or private, that has missed their ship's departure. NEVER. I know for a fact that most of the tour companies always have a back up plan, like another bus if one breaks down or other routes to get you back on time. They don't schedule tours so you are back with a few minutes to spare, they leave a large enough cushion so you really have nothing to worry about.

Cheers

Len

Yes, actual journey to Berlin is ship excursion though have opted to do our own thing in Berlin. Thought it would be best to do it this way so at least if there is a problem with the trains we have booked it through the ship so expect they would have some responsibility to get us back on it.

Thanks for your comments.