Anthem of the Seas: A not-so-live Review: Feb 6, 2016

Just saw that the Anthem is coming back early from its current sailing to avoid another storm situation. Looks like their new monitoring and safety procedures worked.

I feel terrible for the ship's crew having to deal with this all winter - first Jonas, then the Feb 6th sailing, and now this.

This is regarding the passenger who recently filed a lawsuit - He claims he was thrown 18 feet across his cabin, which sounds preposterous!

Methinks this fool opened up and stepped out on his balcony during the immense wind up to 175 mph in order to be thrown "18ft". LOL !!

Agree...

Absolutely absurd. Thrown 18 ft in a cabin is totally absurd unless he was in the Royal suite. The cabins don't have that much free space. I was in a suite and was on this sailing. We had a clinometer. We are boaters. The lists were not that great. 12-15 degree lists. He could not have been thrown that far. What a bunch of bull just to get more money. Got my refund and future cruise credit. Had a great time on a beautiful ship. The captain and crew were amazing. The lies people will tell to for money. Very sad.

My sister, BIL and I were on that cruise too! Your sequence of events is spot on. Funny, I watched "Everest" on the free movies as well! I was also solo in a cabin but I wasn't worried about being alone. I realized things were sliding about and had the sudden thought to put everything on the bathroom counter, including the glasses, into the sink! I lay in bed laughing at the sound of my clothes sliding back and forth on the closet rod.

My sister and I had also been in the Solarium but decided to head back to our cabins. I had just gotten in when the captain advised everyone to stay in their cabins, so I missed the rush at the stairs.

We had also been on "Hurricane Sandy cruise" and actually thought that was worse because the Explorer is a much smaller ship and was tossed about more.

We already booked our "Do-over" cruise for next Feb, also on the Anthem. Can lightning strike twice???:D

• 1 month later...
  • 10 months later...
  • 2 months later...

I'm a little late to the review but I loved it. Living in the NJ and loving cruising, we heard all about the storm, saw the videos, and loved this realistic account.

I feel better prepared if ever I'm on board during a storm!

• 1 month later...

https://www.cruiseindustrynews.com/cruise-news/17504-royal-caribbean-to-implement-weatherops-risk-mitigation-system.html

Weather Decision Technologies and Royal Caribbean Cruises announced that the cruise company will implement WeatherOps risk mitigation system on each of its 47 vessels across all subsidiaries, including Royal Caribbean International, Celebrity Cruises and Azamara Club Cruises and in their emergency operations centers in Miami as of November 2017.

Royal Caribbean said in a statement that WDT’s WeatherOps platform was chosen to support RCL’s global cruise line operations after real-world validation and the approval of each captain in each division. The company's shoreside team in Miami also will utilize WeatherOps to support captains across the fleet and ensure that logistics and weather safety across all aspects of the company’s operation are handled with respect to any weather hazards or delays.

“We’re pleased to work with a client like RCL who will not only utilize our service to ensure the safety of passengers and staff but help WDT innovate and ultimately reach deeper into various offshore applications for weather information,” said WDT President & CEO, Michael Eilts. “RCL’s Vision and Values statement reads: ‘To deliver the best vacation experience’ and we are here to help them in every way possible.”

“We are extremely excited to be using WDT’s innovative technology to ensure that our ships and Captains can plan the safest route possible for our guests and crew members,” added James Van Fleet, Chief Meteorologist, Royal Caribbean International. “Our goal is always to make sure our guests have the best vacation possible and this technology helps us do that.”