Plaza Deck Oceanview Rooms

CruisingCoral

Lose the drawers in the night stand? How could that happen?

Normal configuration is two beds, and two more-or-less square nightstands.

This works fine, if set up as twin, or if set up as queen.

In the narrower cabins, there is one wider night stand.

If set up as twin, no problem, the wider night stand fits.

If set up as queen --- you can put the bed in the corner,

with one side against the wall, and the double-wide night

stand fits on the other side.

Or, you can put the queen in the middle, so there is an aisle

on each side of the bed.

Once you do this, the night stand will only fit sideways on one

side, so the drawers won't open.

It is an true hack.

Regarding the far forward OV cabins, we had one of these on the Ruby and it was by far the worst cabin we ever had. I will never book one again. Yes, only one nightstand and the bed pushed against the wall, so it was awkward for one person getting in and out. It was smaller than a normal oceanview and we definitely noticed the lack of space. The location was fine though, it was just the cabin itself we didn't like.

Also, the window was recessed into the hull by about 6 inches or so, which impacted the view and created a little shelf outside the window. Because of this little sill, we had a very odd thing happen, which will probably never happen again......a flying fish hit the side of the recess and landed dead on the little shelf outside the window. This happened on the second day of a 7-day cruise, and there it lay every day until we disembarked. Of course, management and our cabin steward knew all about it, in fact his buddies all came in to look at it and were teasing him about it, but the ship docked with our side out at all the ports so they said they couldn't hose it off. So we had a view of a rotting fish the whole cruise......

Also, the window was recessed into the hull by about 6 inches or so, which impacted the view and created a little shelf outside the window. Because of this little sill, we had a very odd thing happen, which will probably never happen again......a flying fish hit the side of the recess and landed dead on the little shelf outside the window. This happened on the second day of a 7-day cruise, and there it lay every day until we disembarked. Of course, management and our cabin steward knew all about it, in fact his buddies all came in to look at it and were teasing him about it, but the ship docked with our side out at all the ports so they said they couldn't hose it off. So we had a view of a rotting fish the whole cruise......

That just struck me as so funny!! All of his buddies were teasing him about it...LOL!!

Because of the curve in the hull and less space in the cabin you actually lose a nightstand or 2 depending on the wall angle. Its just not there. :(

Oh great. Looks like P209 on the Emerald will have that issue. But, our beds are to be set up with twins. I guess it won't kill us, we are packing light as it is only a 4-nighter!

P.S. I've always loved ocean view cabins on Plaza.

Edited by metairiegal

We are booked in Plaza 308 on the Star Princess for a May 2017 cruise. I thought it looked like a great location, but the comments on noise from below makes me nervous.

Mom insists on a cabin with a window, and I cannot really afford balcony, so the oceanview rooms are our choice, and that choice is fairly limited. I could move up to Emerald and an obstructed view or stay with Plaza deck. Any advice?

Love plaza deck! So close to international cafe. Also as you go by the plaza area you just happen to run into all the shows and activites. If not you might miss some of them. Also you can walk up to the next deck for many of the activites. Great location Plaza deck

Emerald in Seattle. What would port difference make? Like where the gangway is located?

Yes depending on tide and port setup.

Seattle we embarked on deck 7 Promenade.

Sometimes they use Deck 6 as well.

In Nov in Rome we embarked on deck 4 walking on right at pier level.

That just struck me as so funny!! All of his buddies were teasing him about it...LOL!!

Actually we laughed about it, too, since it was such a bizarre thing....we didn't raise hell with anyone, after all it was a freak of nature and not anyone's negligence. Although it was a little annoying that management just shrugged and said "nothing we can do about it, you'll just have to look at a dead fish on your windowsill for a week." DH has pictures of it somewhere; I might try to post one so you can get the full visual! I guess I was just pointing out that not only do you lose cabin space in the far forward Plaza cabins, but dead fish or not, your view out of the windows is not as good because they're recessed.

Actually we laughed about it, too, since it was such a bizarre thing....we didn't raise hell with anyone, after all it was a freak of nature and not anyone's negligence. Although it was a little annoying that management just shrugged and said "nothing we can do about it, you'll just have to look at a dead fish on your windowsill for a week." DH has pictures of it somewhere; I might try to post one so you can get the full visual! I guess I was just pointing out that not only do you lose cabin space in the far forward Plaza cabins, but dead fish or not, your view out of the windows is not as good because they're recessed.

Oh, great. Leave it to us to pick one of the worst type cabins on the ship! We could have gone with obstructed.

P.S. That is kinda funny about the fish!

Edited by metairiegal

Oh, great. Leave it to us to pick one of the worst type cabins on the ship! We could have gone with obstructed.

How far forward is your cabin? The P3xx are fine.

And, they are all super convenient to the i.cafe, and

the mid ship dining rooms.

Yes depending on tide and port setup.

Seattle we embarked on deck 7 Promenade.

Sometimes they use Deck 6 as well.

In Nov in Rome we embarked on deck 4 walking on right at pier level.

Thank you very much:)

If we book outside cabins, we always do so on the Plaza deck. All too often, on the middle or upper decks, you get stuck waiting on elevators that have room. Plaza is generally the bottom and easy to get in a vacant elevator. Also central to the Piazza, IC, Vines, and coffee.

Todd

If we book outside cabins, we always do so on the Plaza deck. All too often, on the middle or upper decks, you get stuck waiting on elevators that have room. Plaza is generally the bottom and easy to get in a vacant elevator. Also central to the Piazza, IC, Vines, and coffee.

It's also nice that you don't need an elevator when coming back

on board in a port.