So many options, what to choose from?

johnt83

Hi Cruisers,

We're going to Alaska this summer on a big friends trip so I thought I'd get a head start in planning shore excursions. The ports we'll be visiting are Juneau, Skagway, Ketchikan and Victoria, the cruise is out of Seattle on the Norwegian Pearl.

I looked at the options in each of the ports and wow there are waaaay to many to choose from. For those who have already been to these ports, what are the MUST DOs? I definitely want to try dog-sledding and also go on the train/scenic railway and see the beautiful mountains, nature and the glaciers, along with a little bit of history but not too much.

The prices per person are ridiculously expensive as well, but I don't think there is any way to get around that, or is there?

Any advice on what are the must do excursions while not spending an arm and a leg would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

Hi Cruisers,

We're going to Alaska this summer on a big friends trip so I thought I'd get a head start in planning shore excursions. The ports we'll be visiting are Juneau, Skagway, Ketchikan and Victoria, the cruise is out of Seattle on the Norwegian Pearl.

I looked at the options in each of the ports and wow there are waaaay to many to choose from. For those who have already been to these ports, what are the MUST DOs? I definitely want to try dog-sledding and also go on the train/scenic railway and see the beautiful mountains, nature and the glaciers, along with a little bit of history but not too much.

The prices per person are ridiculously expensive as well, but I don't think there is any way to get around that, or is there?

Any advice on what are the must do excursions while not spending an arm and a leg would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

There are more "must do" activities, then you can do, in 25 trips. :)

Focus on your selections. :) It doesn't matter, if I claim ABC is a "must", if you haven't any interest. :) With dog sledding, determine if you want real sledding on snow (however you do NOT drive any sleds, it's a ride), or a cart ride on dirt.

The White Pass RR is an excellent selection for those interested in history and scenery. BUT, be aware of the additional options. There are 2 distances with the train, along with various add on road tours.

Your ship has Glacier Bay with the itinerary. I suggest, with your "glacier and nature", it is well worth your time, to be up and out on deck, early, AND staying out -all day. :)

There aren't big differences on prices of the same tours, with different vendors. In my opinion, tours aren't the place to skimp.

Hi Cruisers,

Since you don't go to Glacier Bay, look into the Tracy Arm excursion. (For me Mendenhall Glacier was a let down after seeing the Sawyer Glaciers in Tracy Arm.) I think that in comparison that it is reasonably priced.

Hard to get around the expense...

Edited by TheCalicoCat

yup it's a 7-day glacier bay cruise on the Pearl...

we were debating between the dog sledding experience vs the helicopter/mendenhall glacier experience and are going to opt for the glacier experience since that is something we've always wanted to do.

in Skagway we will probably do the white pass railway experience and in Ketchikan still TBD, wish there was a dog sledding experience there as I've wanted to try that as well, but not more than a scenic copter ride + being on an actual glacier...

although after doing a bit more research, it sounds like there are other ways to actually go to the Mendenhall glacier and a helicopter isn't the only way?

we're thinking if we can save a bit of money and take a bus or some other way to get the glacier and actually walk on it that would be pretty cool... maybe there is a way we can do that and do dogsledding in the same day....?

Another great option over the White Pass Railway is Dyea Dave. He offers a tour to Emerald Lake that is great. It is also only $79 pp! We took the tour in 2009 and it was so nice as we were able to stop for photo ops next to the Welcome to Alaska and the Welcome to the Yukon signs. You can't do that on the train. Also, if you see wildlife you may be able to stop to view it. We had a bear walk within 10 feet of our van! It was amazing. We also got to see the worlds smallest desert as well as beautiful Emerald Lake.

It's a long of bang for the buck. You can visit his website http://www.****************** for more info.

[quote=johnt83;

we're thinking if we can save a bit of money and take a bus or some other way to get the glacier and actually walk on it that would be pretty cool... maybe there is a way we can do that and do dogsledding in the same day....?

No, you can not walk on Mendenhall, getting there by "bus". Closest you get from that access is Nugget Falls- if you walk the 1 mile trail.

IF you want to get on the glacier, you need to book with Above and Beyond, and invest about 8 hours of time.

IF you want to walk on glaciers, glacier helicopter landings are going to be your only option, with the 1/2 day port time of the Pearl.

If you want to do glacier dog sledding, you are still on a glacier, but it is snow covered and not a lot, if any look at ice. Not sure what "dog sledding" you are looking at?