No Plastic Bottles?

violetsmile

The only problem I see in buying it after you get to Florida is that not all states carry Vernors. Son that lives in SC said they are finally getting it there.

Darn. That's a good point. Violetsmile, is there anyway to find out if it's available in your embarkation port town before you fly?

Darn. That's a good point. Violetsmile, is there anyway to find out if it's available in your embarkation port town before you fly?

I've found 20oz bottles in Miami in the past. This is our first time out of Port Canaveral. There's a Winn-Dixie that we were planning to stop at, but I can't find for sure through Googling if they stock it. Who would have thought this would turn into such a *thing*?! Wikipedia says it's pretty popular in Florida because of the large number of Michigan and Ohio snowbirds who moved south. Maybe I will bring my own just to be sure...

It's not the smuglers. Or evil plot by carnival. It to protect us all from dangerous liquids being brought on board same as airlines.

Carnival actually placed blame on the smugglers. No mention of liquids being a hazard.

Do you have some kind of inside information? Do you know this for a fact, or are you just guessing? If that were the case, why would they still allow bottles of wine?

Well, where is the inside information/proof/facts Carnival made these changes due to folks smuggling booze on board, like so many on here believe?

Well, where is the inside information/proof/facts Carnival made these changes due to folks smuggling booze on board, like so many on here believe?

I don't have any. But I'm just going with common sense and logic, combined with experience.

Emod20 stated that it was not what it is commonly understood to be, and that it was something else entirely, in an unequivocal statement. I am not demanding proof, but just wondering what would make him throw that statement out in such a way.

We all know the security screening process took longer because every bottle had to be shaken. And they weren't shaking them to see if they contained "dangerous liqiuds".;):rolleyes: We all know that people were constantly attempting to smuggle booze in water bottles (along with all the other methods).

Carnival disallowing water bottles speeds up the whole embarkation process, cuts down on some smuggled booze by people who figure the rules don't apply to them, and brings in a little more profit from all the water that we all have to buy from Carnival now. It's a win for Carnival all around.

And, if it were about "dangerous liquids", why would wine bottles still be allowed? A dark green, 750ml wine bottle could hold and hide a lot more "dangerrous liguid" than any water bottle.:cool:

So I say, yeah, it's obviously because of the smugglers unless I'm given some good reason to believe otherwise.

Smugglers like to justify their selfish, entitled, dishonest ways and say that their breaking of the rules doesn't affect anyone else.:rolleyes: Well, they are wrong. This is just one example in which all the rest of us honest people have been affected in a negative way by their selfish acts.

I've found 20oz bottles in Miami in the past. This is our first time out of Port Canaveral. There's a Winn-Dixie that we were planning to stop at, but I can't find for sure through Googling if they stock it. Who would have thought this would turn into such a *thing*?! Wikipedia says it's pretty popular in Florida because of the large number of Michigan and Ohio snowbirds who moved south. Maybe I will bring my own just to be sure...

Just got back from my WD and checked while I was there. 12 packs are $4.99 there or if you have a WD card they are 3/$11 till 3/22 but you must buy 3 for that price. I would think all WD's carry it, but not sure. Our store certainly isn't in a big city area.

Aside from appreciating the logic and reason of your post, I did get a chuckle out of that typo. :)

Thanks.:o I seriously don't know how I managed that one. I mean, the double r is understandable, but what was my finger even doing anywhere near that g?!:eek: Geesh.:rolleyes:

I don't have any. But I'm just going with common sense and logic, combined with experience.

Emod20 stated that it was not what it is commonly understood to be, and that it was something else entirely, in an unequivocal statement. I am not demanding proof, but just wondering what would make him throw that statement out in such a way.

We all know the security screening process took longer because every bottle had to be shaken. And they weren't shaking them to see if they contained "dangerous liqiuds".;):rolleyes: We all know that people were constantly attempting to smuggle booze in water bottles (along with all the other methods).

Carnival disallowing water bottles speeds up the whole embarkation process, cuts down on some smuggled booze by people who figure the rules don't apply to them, and brings in a little more profit from all the water that we all have to buy from Carnival now. It's a win for Carnival all around.

And, if it were about "dangerous liquids", why would wine bottles still be allowed? A dark green, 750ml wine bottle could hold and hide a lot more "dangerrous liguid" than any water bottle.:cool:

So I say, yeah, it's obviously because of the smugglers unless I'm given some good reason to believe otherwise.

Smugglers like to justify their selfish, entitled, dishonest ways and say that their breaking of the rules doesn't affect anyone else.:rolleyes: Well, they are wrong. This is just one example in which all the rest of us honest people have been affected in a negative way by their selfish acts.

I read somewhere that Carnival, in a review of fleet wide alcohol related incidents, found that the large majority of them involved smuggled alcohol. Makes sense to me. I used to do it and no longer do. Yes it's more expensive to purchase in Bon Voyage and Cheers program but it's easier and less stressful trying to sneak onboard.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Just got back from my WD and checked while I was there. 12 packs are $4.99 there or if you have a WD card they are 3/$11 till 3/22 but you must buy 3 for that price. I would think all WD's carry it, but not sure. Our store certainly isn't in a big city area.

Thanks for checking! I think I'll just plan to pick up a 12 pack once we're in Florida, then.

You know, I'm going to see this as a win for me, too, now that you put it that way! Speeding up embarkation is good for me!

I have been a smuggler in the past, and never got caught, but the last few cruises haven't bothered. It's just too much extra work and stress. We bring on our allotted wine, and buy additional wine and drinks on board as we want them. I don't bother with Bon Voyage--we almost never drank our smuggled alcohol because it was in the room, and we spend almost no time in the room beyond sleeping and showering.

Now, the alcohol policy I'd like to see them loosen up on is allowing people to bring boxed wine, if only for the reduced environmental impact...

You know, I'm going to see this as a win for me, too, now that you put it that way! Speeding up embarkation is good for me!

I have been a smuggler in the past, and never got caught, but the last few cruises haven't bothered. It's just too much extra work and stress. We bring on our allotted wine, and buy additional wine and drinks on board as we want them. I don't bother with Bon Voyage--we almost never drank our smuggled alcohol because it was in the room, and we spend almost no time in the room beyond sleeping and showering.

Now, the alcohol policy I'd like to see them loosen up on is allowing people to bring boxed wine, if only for the reduced environmental impact...

What a niced, positive outlook you have. That's a great way to "Pollyanna it", as we say in my family.:)

I agree about the boxed wine - I would like to see them allow one box in lieu of 2 bottles for a cabin with 2 adults. The amount of wine in the typical box would be much greater than two bottle's worth, so it's probably not going to happen. We can hope, though. Enjoy your cruise (although, with a great attitude like yours, there's no doubt you will)!:)

Just a suggestion: When you pack your cans, why not place them in a Ziploc or Hefty disposable bag and then place them in your luggage? If you don't feel that's enough then wrap them in a towel as well. Since I have to fly to the ports for the majority of my cruises I will do this to bring Pepsi because I'm not a Coke fan. Before I check in I simply take them out of the large luggage. I can then use the bag to bring back used underwear or swimwear. I purchase the extra large 2-1/2 gallon bags for this purpose. A 12 pack is too much for me so I would do this with a six pack..

That was my thought also. When we go anywhere (whether we're driving or flying) anything that comes in a plastic bottle (like shampoo) or a can (shaving cream) gets put in a ziploc bag that has another ziploc over the top of it backwards (so the zipper is at the bottom..not really sure why we do it that way, we just do).

I haven't been paying a lot of attention, but it looks like the policy of bringing on bottles of pop/seltzer water has changed, and now you can only bring cans? I don't drink a lot of pop, but I usually would buy a couple 20oz bottles of Vernor's, my favorite ginger ale, for when I get motion sick (inevitable, even with a Scop patch on).

I don't really want--or need--to carry an entire 12 pack on. Can you bring loose cans outside of a pack?

Does anyone know what the ginger ale on board is? Regular Seagram's has Splenda in it these days, and as I'm not interested in triggering a migraine on a cruise, I'd have to pass on that.

You must be from Michigan. Vernor's is also my favorite.