Amber cove vs La Romana?

SugarStar00

I've never been to the Dominican republic and I tried mapping it but found no answer. How far is Amber cove from la romana? We are stopping at la romana on the breeze in April but doesn't seem like there's many beaches around there? Can you take a taxi to Amber cove?

Thanks

Jen

• 1 month later...
  • 7 months later...
la Romana..a real dump..took the Carnival Beach excursion..driving through the area was depressing..once on the Catamarran it was ok..I will not book a cruise with this port again.

I just noticed between the conquest and the magic, that magic has amber and conquest has la romana, I wanted to thank you for the information that la romana is not good.

really helpful

I have booked Jan 30, 2017 to Feb 3, 2017 on Nor Sky, first time on any other cruise line other than carnival. Open bar, and the price was right, little bit trickier with hotels in Miami, pricey.

Where it is only a 4 day cruise, I want to do another before we go back from florida to Canada, I really wanted to see that amber cove port.

thanks again'

lisa:)

they are on opposite sides of the island. I wouldn't waste time driving from one to the other, the island is mountains and dirt roads, and a 3rd world country.

Dominican-Republic-Map.jpg

Amber cove is up north, by Puerto Plata

La Romana is down south

Edited by ABQrobin

Do not be fooled, the beaches of La Romana are 100x better than Puerto Plata. I have done both cruise ships and resorts to both, and I have fallen in love with La Romana. The town of La Romana is not my favorite, but the beach strips are gorgeous. Casa de Campo, Grand Bahia Principe La Romana, and Dreams La Romana all offer day pass options for cruisers to use for the day, if you want bathrooms, pools, and a beach. There are also many public beaches and beach bars all around. I would personally suggest an excursion to Isla Catalina (one of my all time favorite beaches), as it is a protected nature reserve, and is set in such a beautiful place.

Please do not spend the day in La Romana on the ship, or walking through the town. It is definitely a gorgeous area, and the dock in the town just serves as your gateway, not your actual destination. You will love it if you venture out! :)

Wow, I am gonna copy and paste that on my post It notes on laptop.

Great info. We are usually scared to venture far from ship because of so many ppl asking you to buy stuff etc.

But I am def. gonna give this a try for sure.

I also hear Friday is a good day to book this cruise, Black Friday special.

Thank you very much.

lisa

Wow, I am gonna copy and paste that on my post It notes on laptop.

Great info. We are usually scared to venture far from ship because of so many ppl asking you to buy stuff etc.

But I am def. gonna give this a try for sure.

I also hear Friday is a good day to book this cruise, Black Friday special.

Thank you very much.

lisa

Definitely look into Isla catalina. Many tours actually leave right from the town of La Romana. For about $70US you can spend part of the day snorkeling a protected nature reserve reef, and then spend the rest of the day on the beach with food and an all day bar included. I loved Isla Catalina so much, I am dying to go back!

I checked the other day pass areas, and copied the info on all resorts, so for the same price I could go to the isla one you speak of.

Did you book this on the cruise or take a cab to the area?

That is the only one I did not look up as I thought it would be so much more in cost. Sounds perfect. WE have never been snorkeling and hubby wants to do it. Even though at his work, he uses the scuba kinda gear rarely, at least has to be able to wear it. I am against scuba, (brother died doing it) so I have a fear. But snorkeling....totally ok. This would be our first excursion.

Thanks so much.

lisa

I checked the other day pass areas, and copied the info on all resorts, so for the same price I could go to the isla one you speak of.

Did you book this on the cruise or take a cab to the area?

That is the only one I did not look up as I thought it would be so much more in cost. Sounds perfect. WE have never been snorkeling and hubby wants to do it. Even though at his work, he uses the scuba kinda gear rarely, at least has to be able to wear it. I am against scuba, (brother died doing it) so I have a fear. But snorkeling....totally ok. This would be our first excursion.

Thanks so much.

lisa

We actually booked it directly through our resort when I did it, didn't do Isla Catalina through a cruise ship. But you could always look up tours that depart from town (many will have transfer buses to/from the dock that you'll leave from). There should be options, I've seen cruisers do it before.

To the OP. Understand that "Amber Cove" is a specially built cruise ship "terminal" area that was built by the cruise line to cater to the passengers.

LaRomana is a city. Two very different experiences. You cannot just "go" to Amber Cove from La Romana.

I agree with the above posters that while the city of La Romana leaves a little to be desired, in general, it's a much more beautiful place if you are looking for beaches!!