Alaska Cruise - May vs June/July

RLP66

So hubby and I are planning our first Alaska cruise next year out of Seattle as we only live 1 1/2 hours away :) We will not be taking our 7 year old with us so we don't have to go during summer when school is out. May is appealing because I'm thinking the ship won't have as many kids on board as there would be in the summer so hopefully it would be more peaceful. Or are the amount of kids on board not really an issue as they have kids clubs? On the other hand, we would have better weather in July. Is the weather in May that much worse? Would love to hear the pros and cons from those of you who have been to Alaska during these months.

So hubby and I are planning our first Alaska cruise next year out of Seattle as we only live 1 1/2 hours away :) We will not be taking our 7 year old with us so we don't have to go during summer when school is out. May is appealing because I'm thinking the ship won't have as many kids on board as there would be in the summer so hopefully it would be more peaceful. Or are the amount of kids on board not really an issue as they have kids clubs? On the other hand, we would have better weather in July. Is the weather in May that much worse? Would love to hear the pros and cons from those of you who have been to Alaska during these months.

We had picture perfect weather in May (mid-May to early June) for both the cruise and land tour. I didn't see any children on board. The prices are lower too.

We traveled to Alaska in late may/early June due to my wanting to travel earlier in my pregnancy. Please note that May tends to be one of the driest months in Alaska. It was quite warm during most of our cruise (we often didn't need a coat) but it is very hard to predict the weather in Alaska. If you are planning on doing a cruise tour, you need to be careful of the opening dates of the national parks. The bus routes in Denali start running on June 1st, but the longer routes don't start until later (we didn't realize we got there one day before the longer route I wanted started, but it turned out that the 4 hours we spent on the bus while I was pregnant was more than enough for me, plus we got really lucky and saw a ton of animals, including a mommy bear and her 2 little cubs).

The biggest downside of May is that you will miss salmon spawning, which means it might be harder to see bears. Prices tend to be better though and it certainly is something to consider.

Edited by kitkat343

I have only sailed Alaska in July. But ask anyone who has gone both early and peak times and they will tell you the best weather is before the Summer Solstice. Longer and brighter days, more wildlife, and the best time of year to view the glaciers. Do not hesitate to book a May cruise.

My first trip was in early June and it was chilly and drizzley for the most part. It wasn't "really cold" with the exception of the day we went up Tracy Arm Fjord. I wore long silk undies, jeans, long sleeved T, sweater, insulated jacket, hat and gloves. That was quite fine everywhere else, but in the fjord I thought my you know what's were going to freeze off!

We have had snow in June/July. Layers layers layers.

You just never know.

Edited by Colo Cruiser

I have only sailed Alaska in July. But ask anyone who has gone both early and peak times and they will tell you the best weather is before the Summer Solstice. Longer and brighter days, more wildlife, and the best time of year to view the glaciers. Do not hesitate to book a May cruise.

So, did you enjoy your July Cruise? I am confused; we booked for mid July

We love our May/June cruise. We did a b2b from Vancouver. The weather was wonderful on the way to Whittier but rainy and foggy on the return to Vancouver.

You did not mention what ship. We were on the Sapphire and had a Caribe balcony which was wonderful.:) I believe it was C710.

I have been on two May Cruises and loved them both. The first one we did have some bad weather traveling up to Alaska and it was a rock and roll trip but once we arrived the weather was not bad. On the second trip the weather was wonderful warm and we stayed on the Caribe deck in one of the big balconies loved it. Got a sunburn while watching the glaciers calf.

We've been in May and the only downside we had was that we didn't get anywhere near to Hubbard Glacier, which was disappointing. Great weather though and great prices in May.

We've cruised Alaska in May, June, July, and August. By far the best weather has been in May. Plan for the worst and hope for the best. Layers are the way to go. Be sure to bring rain gear (a poncho or rain jacket works fine). It's snowed on us in Juneau in July, it's been sunny and 75 in Juneau in May. I always pack a pair of shorts along with my jeans; I usually don't need both, but there have been times when they were nice to have.

Getting close to the glaciers, whether Hubbard, Sawyer, College Fjords, or Glacier Bay is variable from day to day and also from captain to captain. We turned away from Sawyer one year, when the ship (different company) was able to get closer (both ships about the same size).

Regardless of what you choose, enjoy yourselves and the beautiful scenery.

We sail up to Alaska at least every other year ... it's our favorite destination. We always go in Sept with the exception of going on the first one up to Alaska one season...May 7th. We've been blessed with the best weather up in Alaska except for one time and that was in mid-late Sept. The following year, we went again at the same time of year and we were at the outdoor pool in our swimsuits while sailing up Tracy Arm up to the Glacier.

Our May cruise was beautiful ... we had great weather and no rain. We had some friends that left SF about 5 days later than us and they hit poor weather the entire way. So, it is a crxx shoot. But, the one and only cruise we were on where the weather was bad was one of my favorite cruises of all times. We had a blast. Just layer, layer, layer so you are ready for chilly weather or downright hot weather.

You will be happier with a cruise while the school year in in session if you don't want a lot of kids onboard. There will be a marked difference between May and Sept vs June, July and August.

With regard to when the roads will open in Denali Nat'l. Park . . . . . . .

This is from the current Denali Nat'l. Park shuttle website:

Shuttle Bus Service start dates are as follows (weather dependent):

•Toklat - May 20

•Eielson Visitor Center - June 1

•Wonder Lake and Kantishna - June 8

We almost booked a cruise tour that would have had us departing Denali the morning of the day the shuttle route opens! I ended up phoning the park about 3 wks. ago, and the person I spoke to said those were the EARLIEST dates they begin the shuttle due to the roads being closed. However, I am still confused somewhat because the cruise line offers bus tours to Toklat prior to May 20. IF I understood the guy I spoke to correctly, it sounded like "some special private bus tours" are allowed to go further in before those dates. I don't see how that would be possible if the road isn't open all the way! :confused: So you might want to call the park for clarification on that part.

We sailed from Seattle roundtrip the last week of May into the first part of June. The weather was great and there was lots of snow on the mountains still so nice scenery. As far as kids, there were some on our sailing, and the people next to us had toddlers who made lots of noise:(....so I vividly remember that.

I would totally go during that time again if it fit our schedule and the price was right. The one thing I regretted somewhat was it was too early to see many bears. We did see one grizzly as we sailed into Glacier Bay National Park, and one black bear on the road from Skagway to the Klondike -- but the bear excursions weren't running yet since it was too early in the year.

Whatever you decide, I'm sure you'll have a great time!