What are your personal Top Tips for Royal Princess?

LMaxwell

I'm late to this discussion & haven't read all of the previous posts & thus some some of this may be redundant but here's some suggestions based on 6 weeks sailing on the Royal & Regal.

Winemakers Dinner: Unfortunately this is only available on the Royal & Regal. It costs $40/pp. and for $15/pp. more than the Crown Grill it includes free flowing wine throughout the meal (white for first courses, red with entrée). Gnocchi was prepared tableside & despite not being a big fan it was great. This website shows the 3 menus but all 3 times its been the Michael Mondavi menu which they said is most popular. http://www.beyondships2.com/uploads/8/2/4/5/8245255/wine_makers_menu_2-oct-13_without_price.pdf

Horizon Court & Horizon Bistro buffet and Pastry Shop: A great selection & good food and when the weather was nice the covered Horizon Terrace was a place we enjoyed eating outdoors. These areas have coffee machines which have free filtered coffee made from ground coffee unlike from coffee concentrate on other Princess ships. In the Pastry Shop you can get specialty coffee drinks (no brewed coffee) without going to the International Cafe.

Alfredo's Pizzeria: It's a great place for a free multi course Italian meal (appetizers, soup & salad, pasta, pizza & dessert) http://www.beyondships2.com/uploads/8/2/4/5/8245255/rp-alfredos_pizzeria-23-may-13.pdf

Gelato's: Great ice cream treats & on sea day afternoons they had made to order crepes. The price is now $3.50 which makes using a coffee card punch an even better deal. http://www.beyondships2.com/uploads/8/2/4/5/8245255/m_gelato.pdf

Cabin TV entertainment system: The wall mounted 40" flat panel TV is located at the foot of the bed & provides many options including an on-demand function. The newest movies shown on MUTS are added to the TV system the next day to view in your cabin. They also have original programming created on the ports which includes historical info narrated by a professor which we enjoyed very much.

Shower step: It may be a small step opposite the showerhead but my wife found it very useful for shaving her legs. The deep rectangular sink was great & we used it to wash our delicate clothing & hang it on the line in the shower to dry.

Production shows: We enjoyed the new shows Fiera and Bravo that were exclusively on the Royal & Regal. I don't know if they've been expanded to other ships but we enjoyed seeing new production shows. Fiera took full advantage of the digital background screen that made us feel like we were riding a rollercoaster at a carnival.

These are some of top tips we have for the Royal & Regal and it's why we enjoy this class of ship. :D

Edited by Astro Flyer

We are new to Princess, so we are trying to figure everything out. What is the difference between Horizon Court and Horizon Buffet?

Besides a different decor with the Horizon Court and the Horizon Bistro there are different food options. It's been a year since we sailed on the Regal but if my memory serves me correctly the Bistro had more self service options. We could assemble tacos & burritos and get made to order sandwiches. I believe the Court was mostly prepared food from serving trays but also had a great salad bar area. In the morning the Court had 2 made to order omelette stations which quickly made them & took less than 5 minutes. The Pastry Shop had wonderful baked goods & in the morning had freshly made round waffles.

My main problem with the Royal-class ships is they don't sail from the West Coast where we can drive to the Port of LA instead flying to Europe, the East Coast or the Caribbean. ;)

Edited by Astro Flyer

My biggest tip about the Royal Princess is that the library had almost no books when I was on in October. At one point, there were about 15 fiction books. I like to read a real book and I don't like hauling them with me, so I went to the library and found virtually no books. Unless something has changed, I suggest you stock up your eReader or bring along books if you're a reader.

PS. I really enjoyed the Royal.

This one of the things I disliked most of about the new Celebrity ships... sadly Princess has copied this trend. Like you I like a read book very reader... I don't travel with electronics either. I am retired, so don't even use a cell phone other than a go phone for emergencies. Liked a long time without a phone on my hip, don't see reason to change. lol

Yes, Perry Grant is a wonderful entertainer! He will be back on the Royal Princess starting in October or November '16 through early February of '17.

I just checked Perry's web site and he will be on the Royal Princess from November 6th to February 8th 2017.

Tony

Get a Katydyn water bottle w/filter and you can drink any water from spigots with no bad taste and even in 3rd world countries, like the US for instance! Atttaches to a backpack with a caribiner.

Edited by WupperAV