using a travel agent

happy traveler69

this is not really a question, nor a complaint.. just an observation. I book my cruises directly with the cruise line. it doesn't matter which cruise line, but directly with them. it gives me control of my vacation, payments everything. I can call them up and make additions, corrections and anything else on my own. I recently joined with a group and hopped on their rate (THANK YOU!!!!!!!) and am happy. got a better cabin at a lower rate and so far, those I've spoken to are so very nice!

my observations:

***when I called carnival to get my deposit back, I was reminded that the deposit was non refundable. oh my (thank goodness the savings are waaaaaaaay greater than the deposit. I wonder if the travel agent can intervene in this...

***I wanted to make a payment and when I got ready to dial the number to the cruise line I remembered that I now have a T.A. I had to leave a message... no worries, though. she will call back

***I have to figure out how to do the extras (any packages, excursions, etc) I want to do. I'm used to contacting to cruise line and the website to do these things, don't I have to go through the T.A.?

these are just observations I'm noticing between doing it myself and working with an agent, that's all..... looking forward to meeting everyone!!!

Not because it saves me money but because if a catastrophe happens I can call the travel agent and tell her my dilemma and let her clean it up. We are able to still book shore excursions, FTTF, and make some changes on the website.

happy traveler69

We have a TA that's a jewel and have worked with her for years.

We discuss with her which type of fare works best for us and would normally NOT choose one that is clearly described as non-refundable. We also discuss which trip insurance is best for us since DH needs prior-condition insurance. She's saved us hundreds of $$ that way.

***I wanted to make a payment and when I got ready to dial the number to the cruise line I remembered that I now have a T.A. I had to leave a message... no worries, though. she will call backWe do our payment just before final payment is due - we figure the $$ may as well stay with us until it's due. If you wanted to make an early payment I don't see it as a problem if you have to wait a day or 2 for her to get back to you.

***I have to figure out how to do the extras (any packages, excursions, etc) I want to do. I'm used to contacting to cruise line and the website to do these things, don't I have to go through the T.A.? Having a TA makes no difference in booking extras as long as you get your booking number from the TA - Our TA gives us this number the day we make our deposit. We do all of that on our own and they are billed to our credit card independent of the cruise costs.

I love my TA and always use him. He has always tried to get us the best deal and I like that you have a local person to deal with if you have any questions rather than a person who answers the phone with a dog barking in the background! Just saying. I usually pay off the cruise right before it is due as well as there really is no need to pay it off early!

Not because it saves me money but because if a catastrophe happens I can call the travel agent and tell her my dilemma and let her clean it up. We are able to still book shore excursions, FTTF, and make some changes on the website.

My Carnival PVP does the same for me. Any question, price drop, etc. I contact him. He returns emails and phone calls promptly. We're also FaceBook friends so I can contact him through messaging.

Our TA gets every OBC and perk that we are entitled to and then some. We also get cash back on our Discover card when we book with this TA. Sometimes it's 5% cash back and sometimes it's 10% cash back depending on what Carnival or Princess is offering. The nice chunk of change this last time really paid off for us ($850). Whenever I want to pay the cruise off in advance I just call the TA. Never had any problems with a TA. I don't trust Carnival or Princess with my booking. There's no recourse if something gets screwed up.

Carnival PVP's are the way to go IMHO. They function somewhat like a TA (the same person is there to help you with planning purposes, answer your questions, book your cruise and assist you with any issues that you may have) but you still have full control of your booking.

Pricing should be the same, although they will sometimes make you aware of a promotion or discount rate that doesn't pop up on the Carnival site. For example, I qualify for an interline rate which I can't book online , so I always call my PVP in order to secure that non-advertised rate. Saves me hundreds of dollars every time.

I've recently received quotes for cruises that I already have booked directly with the cruise line. I was shocked that each one was able to offer the exact same fare, or better, plus offer hundreds of dollars of onboard credit that the line would not offer.

Provided they will continue to offer price matching if the price drops (booked Early Saver), I see no reason not to transfer the booking to an agent. For my Transatlantic I have booked with Celebrity, it would be a $400 savings, $200 for my NYE cruise on Carnival!

Edited by Ahsndpro

I used a PVP until he was no longer working for Carnival. Used a TA once. Never again. He booked me, left for several months for some reason or other, did not hand me off to another TA. When I had questions and called Carnival, it was a hassle as they saw I had booked through a TA. Now, I just do it all online and have not, so far, had any problems.

Carnival PVP's are the way to go IMHO. They function somewhat like a TA (the same person is there to help you with planning purposes, answer your questions, book your cruise and assist you with any issues that you may have) but you still have full control of your booking.

Pricing should be the same, although they will sometimes make you aware of a promotion or discount rate that doesn't pop up on the Carnival site. For example, I qualify for an interline rate which I can't book online , so I always call my PVP in order to secure that non-advertised rate. Saves me hundreds of dollars every time.

Thank you for your information Tapi...

Have you cruised with IMHO or MSC before? I also qualify for an interline rate.

Tapi I see you have been on many cruises. Do you remember which cruise lines let you book directly with Interline Rate?

When I recently booked Princess, I was surprised when told I couldn't book directly and even gave me numbers of agents I could book through.

I always laugh when people say they want to keep control of their booking. Just what are you controlling?

With an agent the only aspect you can't control is billing (payments).

Agents not working for Carnival can and will get you on board credit, goodies and better cabins. What's not to like?

I prefer a travel agent. Either that or do it on my own. Twice I used a personal vacation planner. Both very nice and helpful. But saw not a single benefit. They can't offer any extras. And for as picky as we are about our cabin, I'm well able to pick my own after research if necessary. I watch for my own pice drops. My TA does that too but I'm too obsessive to hand it over to someone else. I can do everything on my own but apply payments. Plus he's already helped me with a non cruise vacation and is fully accessible. Plus I know fot fact that I would have been screwed out of money over a odd situation last year had my TA not been an advocate, becauase Carnival was in the wrong but tried not to budge. My TA dealt with it.

Book whatever way is comfortable for you. I gave my brother the PVP I used, and he loves him and only books through him now. So there you go. There's no one way. So long as you are happy.

Sent from my SCH-I435 using Tapatalk

Edited by cruizinisthebest

Has anybody using a TA ever gotten a call from the upsell fairy? I've only used a TA for all of my cruises, but have never received a call, and am wondering if only those booked directly get the calls? Will the TA get the call?

Yes ,,, the TA will get the call. We don't worry about that because we carefully choose our cabin and check the box that we're not open to changing.

My suggestion would be to discuss with your TA what you'd like or be willing to do before they might receive the call. That way if they call you and you're not available they can respond on your behalf.

Edited by summersigh

We have had the same TA for 20 years. I wouldn't dream of booking through anyone else. No need to watch for price drops. On our Princess cruise last month she got us 3 price drops totaling $1200 and OBC of $250. Every so often I would get a new confirmation showing a lower total. I don't have time to chase down price drops. If it is Carnival she files the forms and then follows up with the new confirmation. Recently she booked a trip to Mexico for us and thanks to a best price guarantee got our hotel changed to the one we really wanted when it ran a sale of 58% off. We didn't even consider it originally because of the price. Not only did we get a great price, but she got us upgraded to a one bedroom Presidential suite for less than we were originally going to pay at a resort that was not our first choice.

We sit down every year and discuss what cruises/trips we would like to do in the next 12-18 months. She knows what accommodations we like on each line, has all our past guest numbers and has our credit card number for payments. When something we are interested in comes up at a good price she holds it for us and then we say yes or no. If we say yes, she makes the deposit. She always contacts a couple weeks before final payment to see if the credit card has changed or if we still want to go on the trip.

There are always nice gifts (wine, specialty dinners, etc) awaiting us onboard. She gets us great prices so I would never dream of asking her to kick back her commission. She works hard for us and should be rewarded.

We have had the same TA for 20 years. I wouldn't dream of booking through anyone else. No need to watch for price drops. On our Princess cruise last month she got us 3 price drops totaling $1200 and OBC of $250. Every so often I would get a new confirmation showing a lower total. I don't have time to chase down price drops. If it is Carnival she files the forms and then follows up with the new confirmation. Recently she booked a trip to Mexico for us and thanks to a best price guarantee got our hotel changed to the one we really wanted when it ran a sale of 58% off. We didn't even consider it originally because of the price. Not only did we get a great price, but she got us upgraded to a one bedroom Presidential suite for less than we were originally going to pay at a resort that was not our first choice.

We sit down every year and discuss what cruises/trips we would like to do in the next 12-18 months. She knows what accommodations we like on each line, has all our past guest numbers and has our credit card number for payments. When something we are interested in comes up at a good price she holds it for us and then we say yes or no. If we say yes, she makes the deposit. She always contacts a couple weeks before final payment to see if the credit card has changed or if we still want to go on the trip.

There are always nice gifts (wine, specialty dinners, etc) awaiting us onboard. She gets us great prices so I would never dream of asking her to kick back her commission. She works hard for us and should be rewarded.

I just roll around laughing when I see post like this, because I have no doubt your ta is wonderful. But twenty years. You are going to be in for a rude awakening when you need to replace her. I promise.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Pricing is not always the same. Every cruise I've taken, I've priced out and the Carnival site is always much more than using a TA. My upcoming Glory cruise was about $300 or $400 less with my TA than if I had gone through Carnival.

Same holds true for the NCL cruise I just booked, but with a much greater price difference.

Tapi I see you have been on many cruises. Do you remember which cruise lines let you book directly with Interline Rate?

When I recently booked Princess, I was surprised when told I couldn't book directly and even gave me numbers of agents I could book through.

So far, the only cruise line that has allowed me to book interline directly has been Carnival. All others have required that I book through an interline travel agency. On Carnival, almost always the interline rate is the lowest rate available, but I've learned that, with other cruise lines where pricing can vary wildly from one TA to another, the interline rate many times is not as good as the rates that some TA's can offer. When we sailed on Princess the interline rate was best, but with Holland America it wasn't. On MSC, the kids sail free and 2 for 1 balcony promos add up to a way better deal than any cruise rate out there.

Edited by Tapi

Pricing is not always the same. Every cruise I've taken, I've priced out and the Carnival site is always much more than using a TA.

Carnival has price parity regulations in place to prevent unfair competition. They don't allow TA's to discount further and they also set limits on OBC. If you've found pricing that's considerably cheaper than what you're finding on the Carnival site, the TA may have held group space, or you may be looking at one fare code on the Carnival site and a different one at the other TA's site, or plain and simple the TA may be violating Carnival's regulations in which case they could loose their ability to sell Carnival cruises if caught.

I always laugh when people say they want to keep control of their booking...

Agents not working for Carnival can and will get you on board credit, goodies and better cabins. What's not to like?

You are laughing probably because you've never found yourself stuck with a botched booking that someone messed up, unable to reach the TA responsible for it, and worse, a cruise line unwilling to help because that TA has ownership over the booking.

Since my last few cruises have been on other cruise lines for which I've used multiple TA's for the sake of pricing. I've realized how spoiled I was using a Carnival PVP. Believe me, it's no laughing maybe every time I have to talk to someone new who has no clue who I am or what my previous conversations were about, or when I need assistance and I'm on hold for an hour, or when I want to manage my booking online only to learn that the same TA that had me on hold for an hour has to handle something as simple as correcting a number.

I've also learned that the same TA's that lure people with "goodies" are also the most incompetent. They can't compete with good costumer service or with their cancellation or change policies, so they need to attract clients some other way.

Edited by Tapi

You are laughing probably because you've never found yourself stuck with a botched booking that someone messed up, unable to reach the TA responsible for it, and worse, a cruise line unwilling to help because that TA has ownership over the booking.

Since my last few cruises have been on other cruise lines for which I've used multiple TA's for the sake of pricing. I've realized how spoiled I was using a Carnival PVP. Believe me, it's no laughing maybe every time I have to talk to someone new who has no clue who I am or what my previous conversations were about, or when I need assistance and I'm on hold for an hour, or when I want to manage my booking online only to learn that the same TA that had me on hold for an hour has to handle something as simple as correcting a number.

I've also learned that the same TA's that lure people with "goodies" are also the most incompetent. They can't compete with good costumer service or with their cancellation or change policies, so they need to attract clients some other way.

I think it's a little unfair to paint all TAs with the same broad brush or to generalize their clients as being lured or not knowing any better. I don't prefer PVPs but don't bad mouth their profession. In fact even loving my current agent, twice I've recommended the PVP I used before because that's what they preferred and despite letting me down, I was happy to pass on his name to someone looking for a PVP.

I found the agent I use. I sought him out based on a friend's experience. He has been great. Always available. Even when I ask him things and insist the answer is no rush, he will respond as soon as possible every time.

People can't be objective most of the time with these type of discussions. It always has to be my way or person is better and all or "most" that offer you something for your business are incompetent. Totally unfair statement but of course you have a right to your opinion.

I have had a reservation botched. Well the pricing. Because I was offered a discount from Carnival over a cabin issue and ran into way too many hiccups trying to use it. All of them Carnival's fault. Almost made it not worth it. If it had not been for my agent telling me to just let him handle it, I probably would have just thrown my hands up. Having someone - one person who you can trust and rely on - makes a huge difference. Doesn't matter if the acronym PVP or TA goes with their title. I like a TA probably for all the reasons you like your PVP. And if he gives me an extra perk or two, that doesn't instantly make him incompetent. Incompetent is what the last PVP I used did who has yet to inform me himself that my Vista cruise to nowhere was cancelled. Good thing I'm not holding my breath.

Sent from my SCH-I435 using Tapatalk