Docking in southampton

Aussie Gal

This will be our first time on QM2. I have long wanted to do a crossing on her and as we are finishing a cruise from Tahiti in New York, we were lucky that the QM2 would be leaving for Southampton 4 days after we had arrived so we decided to book a passage.

I have two questions. The first one is where in Southampton does the QM2 dock? I want to book a car to pick us up from the ship and take us into London but I am not sure which dock it will be in order to tell the car firm.

Secondly I have been reading about disembarkation and have read that it can take a few hours. What time would be the best for us to leave the ship and make our way into London? Usually we are off a ship by 9.30am but I think that would still be peak hour and knowing how busy the roads are in that part of the U.K. would it be better to leave it until 10am or even later?

Thanks for any information to help make this trip so special.

Jennie

I believe she typically docks at the Ocean Terminal, but when the hired car goes into the port, the driver can ask "which terminal for the QM2" in case there is a last minute change. Telling the driver the name of the ship is more important than naming terminal.

How wonderful voyages !!!!

jimmybean,

Thanks for being so prompt with your reply. I understand that the ship is more important than the dock but on one web site, there were about 4 different docks to choose from so I did become confused and then wondered which one the QM2 used.

Jennie

You are welcome, Aussie Gal.

DH and I usually take the train from Southampton to London and self-disembark, so I can't advise about how the ship's masses go ashore. Probably, it is by location on the ship, after those with priority disembarkation (passengers with the highest loyalty status).

Since you will be on an earlier (longer) voyage, my guess is that you will have too many bags to self-disembark and manage on the train…. I can tell you that it takes just an hour and a half, by train, to get there.

Transatlantic is a wonderful experience on the QM2 (we think). I hope you enjoy as much as we have : )

jimmybean,

We always prefer a transfer by car, we are getting too old now anyway though over the years we have never used a train in any city as a transfer from the airport or from a ship, so we will be using a Private Car for our journey to London.

It is a packer's nightmare re what we are needing to bring because on our first cruise which is 33 days, it is on Oceania which doesn't have formal nights so we more or less will be bringing clothes for one ship, which will mainly be summer clothes and then the formal and warmer clothes for the crossing. We are expert packers and we think we will have one large suitcase each, one smaller suitcase between us and one carry on piece of luggage. Not too hard to handle but of course we first need to do a trial pack!!

We have done two transatlantic cruises before, one going up through Greenland, Iceland, Norway etc. from the U.S. and the other one going across from Spain, Portugal, Canary Islands, Lanzarote and Madeira but this is our first true crossing and one we have wanted to do for a long time.

We are so looking forward to being on this big liner and hopefully we won't be disappointed. We are in the Grills so we are expecting a wonderful experience.

Jennie

... I have two questions. The first one is where in Southampton does the QM2 dock? I want to book a car to pick us up from the ship and take us into London but I am not sure which dock it will be in order to tell the car firm.

Secondly I have been reading about disembarkation and have read that it can take a few hours. What time would be the best for us to leave the ship and make our way into London? Usually we are off a ship by 9.30am but I think that would still be peak hour and knowing how busy the roads are in that part of the U.K. would it be better to leave it until 10am or even later? ...

Hi Aussie Gal,

jimmybean is quite correct, Queen Mary 2 regularly uses the Ocean Terminal when in Southampton. Only occasionally is she moved to another terminal.

The ABP Southampton Cruise Ship Schedule is here:

http://www.southamptonvts.co.uk/live_information/shipping_movements_and_cruise_ship_schedule/cruise_ship_schedule/

If I spot any change or further update myself I will try to find this thread and alert you. The Ocean Terminal is modern and works well whether boarding or disembarking.

As you are a passenger in the Grills you will be given priority, and the opportunity to disembark reasonably early if you wish. Someone may correct me but I believe that Grills are usually amongst the very first off, and then the remainder are released deck by deck, starting at the top of the ship.

I wouldn't let the traffic situation (after the "rush hour" has abated) influence my choice of time to disembark. Roads in town and on the motorways to London are always going to be busy regardless of the time of day. Furthermore, if you leave it too late in the morning to leave you are likely to encounter cars, taxis & coaches coming to the port bringing the next set of passengers to QM2 (and any other ships docked in Southampton that may be added to the schedule).

I have enjoyed many crossings on Queen Mary 2 (however, all west-bound) and cruises, I cannot put into words how excited I am each time I board her. She is due to go into refit shortly after your crossing. Many people (my family and friends included) find her to be quite unlike cruise ships; she is a true North Atlantic Liner. Anyone who loves being at sea should cross the atlantic on her at least once.

Although you'll have the Queens Grill Lounge to use, please visit my favourite room on board, pre or post dinner, the Commodore Club (Deck 9 forward).

Obviously your table for all meals awaits in the Grills, but don't miss the opportunity to take lunch at least once in the spectacular Britannia Restaurant; the room is just as one imagines a traditional transatlantic ocean liner dining room to be. I have friends who cross regularly in QG, but often have lunch in Britannia "just because the dining room is amazing".

There are photos taken on QM2 during several crossings, photos of the interiors (including Princess and Queens Grill Restaurants), and a "tour" of QM2 via the link below.

Have the most wonderful time, a huge Bon Voyage! :)

Edited by pepperrn

Actually, 9:30 am is a good time to disembark as the traffic will be much lighter by then. We have done so about a dozen times.

We always use http://www.tmr-executive-cars.co.uk/ who use S-Class Mercs (very comfortable). The journey to Central London is just over 2 hours and will cost about £150.

Don't worry about where you will berth as the driver will sort that out.

Stewart

Peppern& Turnip Eater

Thanks so much for the cruise schedule itinerary and the good advice. We are novices as far as Cunard is concerned and every bit of advice is very welcome. It is going to be an exciting trip and we will probably be pinching ourselves when we board this great ship. I know she is going into dry dock straight after our crossing but we are thrilled that we have the opportunity to cruise on her.l

Jennie

Edited by Aussie Gal

Actually, 9:30 am is a good time to disembark as the traffic will be much lighter by then. We have done so about a dozen times.

We always use http://www.tmr-executive-cars.co.uk/ who use S-Class Mercs (very comfortable). The journey to Central London is just over 2 hours and will cost about £150.

Don't worry about where you will berth as the driver will sort that out.

Stewart

Thanks Stewart for the link to Executive cars. I will get a quote from them. Also for the good advice re the time we should leave the ship. I will take your word and leave at around 9.30am.

Jennie

Hi Aussie Gal, congratulations on booking the wonderful QM2 for your crossing! For your transport, you might consider smithsforairports. We have used them several times and have been very pleased with their price as well as their great service!

As others have said QM2 usually docks at Ocean Terminal but can be changed at any time so I am glad they have given you the link to check. Several years ago we were supposed to dock at Ocean Terminal but were changed to the older Mayflower Terminal so was glad that someone gave me the link to keep an eye on it.

Congratulations again and have a wonderful time!

Immigration clearance into the UK takes place during the voyage on QM2. You will receive a letter in your cabin on the arrangements. Typically everybody; including British Passport holders, has to be processed during the voyage, on a deck by deck schedule, specific hours as advised on the allocated days. You just need to attend with your passport and cruise card at the appropriate on board location. When the ship arrives at Southampton no immigration queues will occur apart from a random snap luggage search by HM customs as people are cleared by this time. Delays are only as a result of the disembarkation process which is efficient in my opinion.

Regards John

Edited by john watson

Jennie,

I would love a "compare and contrast" posting, telling us what you liked (and might not have liked) on the Oceana and QM2. Please do let us know your experiences! (I am particularly eager to learn your opinion of daytime lecturers on each voyage. DH and I find the lecturers on Cunard always a highlight).

DH and I have dealt with "two voyages in different climates" (dragging bags through train stations in Europe in-between) so I sympathize with your packing dilemma. My thoughts are always towards being practical and then enjoying all the enrichments of travel. Then too, problem-solving, in itself, gives a sense of accomplishment :) when all is said and done… Good luck with the challenges of packing!

BTW, cheers to John Watson for pointing out an advantage of traveling east on the QM2. When you arrive in England, it is as easy as walking off the ship.

You can see there are many posters on the Cunard board, who willingly share information as well as enthusiasm about crossing on the QM2. Ask almost any question and someone will have a (good) answer.

Jimmybean

Jimmybean and everyone else who has posted. You have all been so helpful. Thanks for all the information and when I return which won't be until June, I will definitely find this thread and post my views on both ships.

We have been on Oceania once before, a wonderful cruise from Hong Kong to Athens where we did so many fantastic excursions such as spending 3 days in Agra, visiting Luxor and the Valley of the Kings, Petra, Cairo and the Pyramids etc.

As my sister and BIL mainly cruise with Cunard and the QM2 is their favourite ship, we are looking forward to the experience which will be in contrast to the Marina. I have heard about the wonderful lectures during the day and also the entertainment on the QM2whereas on Oceania, it is more laid back and there isn't as much to do. We too will be having quite a few sea days once we leave Tahiti with only one stop - Easter Island - before we reach Lima, so it will be interesting to compare the two ships in that regard.

Jennie