Seabourn Odyssey

cwisleman

Sorry to read this.

I think you boarded the segment before us, we were on for the Holiday cruise only, so you've now been onboard for at least 2 months. Can't believe the internet is still poor. Well, actually I can.

I always enjoy your wildlife photos, I understand you'll be very limited with poor internet but I hope you'll be able to upload some eventually.

The flashing message light issue for me at least was fixed after the start of a new segment, then broke again at the end of the segment - imo its some kind of stupid software accounts-permission issue that should have been caught in testing - but should be fixed now rather than later.

The inet connection was horrid for the duration of my time on - but part of that I was attributing to being so far from the equator.

For the duration of my cruise the wand in the shower was non functional and never fixed.

The problem I had with print papers was passenger related - they'd take them from the square never to be seen again.

Unlike the little sisters the septic system didn't go down - though I did hear parts of deck 5,6,8 forward got flooded.

for all those reading about so many complaints on the Odyssey, we are one couple who are not having ANY problems! We also got the apology message about the flashing phone light, but we didn't actually have a flashing light problem, the large print newspapers is not an issue for us.....the normal ones are still available.....AND I am not having any trouble with the internet!! Since Sydney I have uploaded many many photos to a social media site......I have been doing this every day!.......of course its not broadband speed, but more than acceptable for me. I simply resize the file size of the photos and they load quite well. I am an internet junkie, and are quite happy with the service so far! My only complaint so far is that there is not enough salt on the breadsticks!

The internet can be like the food. Unless you're connecting at the same times to the same sites and pushing the same data... ;)

Too bad theres no tool to collect/log data on ships locations and connection speeds to passengers could see beforehand where likely dead/superslow zones are.

.. I simply resize the file size of the photos and they load quite well.!

I have resized photos. However it is always a long and difficult process!! Not simple at all :( They always ask for the photo to be reduced in pixels. How do I know what that means. Of course I know what pixels are, but as to how many in any photo.... no idea. As for resizing 15 pictures, well............ B Gran I don't expect you to answer this, you are there to enjoy your holiday not answer silly questions. But it is obvious there is a large gap in my IT understanding!!!! :eek: J

LOL....I use a very simple FREE program called Photo Razor. It resizes one or many pics at a time. I put all my pics into folders, like in Ports, Crew, etc etc....then resize the lot at once. You can use how many pixels to resize to on a side bar....I have been using 750, I think the default is 600. For a folder of around 30 photos, it takes about 30 seconds. Your original photos are not touched, but in each folder will be another folder called "small pics"......simple! even for me! :D

The inet connection was horrid for the duration of my time on - but part of that I was attributing to being so far from the equator?

Are you talking Antarctica MrsWaldo as I thought the speed was quite good compared to other shipping lines we have been on

Even kinda surprised we had the internet at all every day down there

Edited by Thecat123

Nope.

Just that Oz and parts of NZ will be better than San Fran as they are closer to the equator

Personally I believe that theory is bunkum...

its all been discussed and dismissed before

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=48277524&postcount=8

Still waiting for a fact based dismissal of this.

There may also be variability from suite to suite. In suite 912 on the Odyssey last September I had horrible internet, or none, most of the trip, but it was reasonable in SB Square at the same times, so I went there to connect. Perhaps no longer true.

There may also be variability from suite to suite. In suite 912 on the Odyssey last September I had horrible internet, or none, most of the trip, but it was reasonable in SB Square at the same times, so I went there to connect. Perhaps no longer true.

You tried wifi in the suite and then wifi in the square, or wifi in the suite and one of the wired desktops in the square? On my last trip you could eke a bit more speed out of the connection by using the wired provided desktops.

we are on the odyssey now - i think that the ship is in great condition. the internet is working just fine (uh..remember - we are in the middle of the pacific ocean bouncing O's and 1's off of satellites from space.).

the food has been the best i've had on seabourn so far including the thomas keller dishes. it never ceases to amaze me how they are able to serve so many people in 4 different restaurants with the variety and quality and level of service that they consistently offer.

and the crew is great - we even have a new batch of enthusiastic young people who have just come out of onboard training and are earning their sea legs. fantastic young people!

the only downside seems to be the usual set of passengers who are rude to the staff and seem to complain about everything. but fortunnately that's not my problem ;)

fare winds and calm seas!

we are on the odyssey now - i think that the ship is in great condition. the internet is working just fine (uh..remember - we are in the middle of the pacific ocean bouncing O's and 1's off of satellites from space.).

the food has been the best i've had on seabourn so far including the thomas keller dishes. it never ceases to amaze me how they are able to serve so many people in 4 different restaurants with the variety and quality and level of service that they consistently offer.

and the crew is great - we even have a new batch of enthusiastic young people who have just come out of onboard training and are earning their sea legs. fantastic young people!

the only downside seems to be the usual set of passengers who are rude to the staff and seem to complain about everything. but fortunnately that's not my problem ;)

fare winds and calm seas!

Good to hear some positive news, but it always bothers me when I hear about passengers who abuse staff. I suppose anyone who has cruised much has witnessed it. Always so disturbing to see people who work so hard being berated or treated rudely by those who imagine themselves "entitled."

Good to hear some positive news, but it always bothers me when I hear about passengers who abuse staff. I suppose anyone who has cruised much has witnessed it. Always so disturbing to see people who work so hard being berated or treated rudely by those who imagine themselves "entitled."

The first time we sailed with Seabourn we did their Ephesus classical evening and had the misfortune to share a table with another couple - she was lovely, he was an arrogant mochyn (means pig in Welsh!). He arrived late, ignored us totally, used his mobile phone throughout almost the whole performance and requested drinks by clicking his fingers in the air or tapping his glass which was his sole means of communication with the staff - he obviously thought he was very important but as my grandmother would say it's manners maketh the man.

You tried wifi in the suite and then wifi in the square, or wifi in the suite and one of the wired desktops in the square? On my last trip you could eke a bit more speed out of the connection by using the wired provided desktops.

My usual comparison was wifi in suite vs. wifi in the Square. Square was always faster and often the only place I could access internet at all off the laptop.

I have a special security function setup on my travel laptop to allow access to my work ( I like to keep up with work during cruising downtime if I have decent wifi, as this makes my absences less disruptive to my work functions, thus allowing more cruising!) . I cannot access work from any old shared desktop, plus even if I could, I would worry about people walking by and easily seeing confidential information.

However, there were a couple times when I used the desktop for casual browsing, e.g., news and checking flight schedules, and cruisecritic, and I noted it was faster than on the laptop ( or at least worked, where the laptop wifi did not, even in the Square on the really bad days).

My ideal would be good wifi, on my laptop, on my bed ( with a drink, and cushioned :)) , in my suite.

Edited by Catlover54