In Port from 2pm - 9pm

mompells

We will be in San Juan from 2pm - 9pm. We aren't doing an excursion. What should we do? Where should we go? Where should we eat? Any suggestions or hints? Thank you in advance!

I assume you have not been there before; so get off the ship and start walking due north by northwest, crisscrossing all the side streets Enjoy the scenery, the shops, the restaurants, the people and ending up at the fort... By then you will have answered all your own questions. When you get to the fort you've gone as far north as you can...and you saved excursion expenses.

Sent from my LG-H631 using Tapatalk

we will be there on the NCL BREAKAWAY monday 4th of July/2016. because is a US Holiday, will the Fort be open? What is like in the city when is a major holiday? many business closed?

Thanks

Yes, many things will be closed, including many restaurants, as well as the forts and other National Parks.

We will be in San Juan from 2pm - 9pm. We aren't doing an excursion. What should we do? Where should we go? Where should we eat? Any suggestions or hints? Thank you in advance!

With the sun going down around 6-7, I would say to zip off the ship asap, and walk to Castillo de San Cristobal, this will leave enough time to walk down Calle Norzagaray, and watch the sunset with El Morro in the background, or from inside of El Morro. The streets at night are beautiful. Walk from El Morro back towards the ship, stopping for some shopping if that's your thing. There's a place called Café Ochoa by the outdoor market, near the farthest cruise dock that I love. That's very close to the ship, after your meal you'll be able to scoot right back to the ship.

I hoped this helped!

Thanks. so what would you suggest for an itinerary in a 4th of July holiday?

Well, I really like OSJ a lot. So you could just walk the streets, get some good food, and do some shopping. You could walk to EL Morro and walk up to it, it'll just be closed. You could also go to the beach for a few hours. But certainly get off the ship, even if you're just going to go to Starbucks for the wifi. You'll have a great time, San Juan is one of my favorites. But if it's your frist time, I definitely recommend walking around OSJ since the ship docks right there. There are many tour operators one you get off the boat, I've even seen 2 hour tours go for $10. That's another thing you can do.

I have my photo review links in my signature. The cruise from San Juan we didn't do much in the city, but the other two (Carnival Glory and Splendor) we spent the day walking OSJ, and Splendor was on Thanksgiving, so everything was closed. Read the San Juan section for some pictures if you would like!

we will be there on the NCL BREAKAWAY monday 4th of July/2016. because is a US Holiday, will the Fort be open? What is like in the city when is a major holiday? many business closed?

Thanks

Yes, many things will be closed, including many restaurants, as well as the forts and other National Parks.

Why are people saying the forts will be closed? The NPS web site says this:

Castillo San Cristobal & Castillo San Felipe del Morro are open to the public everyday 9:00am to 6:00pm except on Thanksgiving Day, Christmas Day and New Year's Day.

http://www.nps.gov/saju/planyourvisit/hours.htm

(National Parks in general don't close on July 4th.)

Why are people saying the forts will be closed? The NPS web site says this:

http://www.nps.gov/saju/planyourvisit/hours.htm

(National Parks in general don't close on July 4th.)

My mistake. I was told all national holidays and major religious holidays by the security guards there so I thought the Fourth of July carried over.

I think this the best time to be in PR. Definitely start by walking up and back to fort. You can then make your way through sides streets and all the shops. Our first time there we hit up Senior Frogs when it was still on a back street, it was a lot of fun. Unfortunately after they moved it closer to pier,they changed things. We were not able to go in and just sit at bar and have drinks, you had to sit at table and order food. But if you have never been at one, try it once.

Then There is this corner bar, where you can sit outside at tables and see ships all lit up. They make the absolute best Piña Colada!!!! I can't remember the name lol, because of the coladas but hoping we can find it again in May.

Has anyone ever been to this chocolate restaurant? If so, what did you think? I tried to look at the menu on-line, but it is only in Spanish......Can I find the menu in English anywhere? Also - Can we walk to it from the cruise ship, or would we need to take a taxi? Thank you!

I love Old San Juan and DH and I have spent a great deal of time there. We loved walking the cobbled streets, viewing the pastel of some of the buildings, the unique architecture and great food/drinks. :)

We often did a bit of shopping, found a comfortable restaurant either indoors or out and enjoyed.

Easy walk from and back to the ship.

Has anyone ever been to this chocolate restaurant? If so, what did you think? I tried to look at the menu on-line, but it is only in Spanish......Can I find the menu in English anywhere? Also - Can we walk to it from the cruise ship, or would we need to take a taxi? Thank you!

See this link. English in subtitles below each dish. Also full site has English subtitles.

http://www.casacortespr.com/#!menu/c1yv3

Old San Juan stores make money when ships are in port since local business is somewhat limited. Most stores will be open the 4th of July. Non-retail/ souvenir/ tourist attraction WILL be open. Locals also flock to San Juan on major holidays since school's out as well as government offices and some private services. The days quoted at the National Park website is a general rule for other business in San Juan. Other than those days you might find most stores closed on Good Friday (not the forts).