New to NCL & already a bit Apprehensive

I'm looking for guidance, opinions, previous experience...heck, even links to menus so I can get a handle on how things work with restaurants on the NCL ships, specifically - Escape.

I booked three cabins as the agent went on and on about all the different restaurants onboard and how good they are. No mention was made that at least half are for a fee.

I was excited, though, by her encouragement that no matter where you were on the ship (mid/forward/aft) there was always a restaurant nearby. I was confident knowing that my elderly mother would not have to trek from the front of the ship to the back or vice versa (as it is on Carnival sometimes).

Now I've recently found out that most of the restaurants are for a fee. Is this supposed to be frustrating to me or am I just ignorant?

What experiences have you had and how did you handle this?

I'm looking for guidance, opinions, previous experience...heck, even links to menus so I can get a handle on how things work with restaurants on the NCL ships, specifically - Escape.

I booked three cabins as the agent went on and on about all the different restaurants onboard and how good they are. No mention was made that at least half are for a fee.

I was excited, though, by her encouragement that no matter where you were on the ship (mid/forward/aft) there was always a restaurant nearby. I was confident knowing that my elderly mother would not have to trek from the front of the ship to the back or vice versa (as it is on Carnival sometimes).

Now I've recently found out that most of the restaurants are for a fee. Is this supposed to be frustrating to me or am I just ignorant?

Just choose the meal plan as your perk.

Dont stress, most other lines have pay restaurants also

I have not been on the Escape, but have been on the Getaway (step down from the Escape), the Dawn, Pearl, and Star (smaller 2.2k person ships). Most of the restaurants are the same on the ships except older ones that haven't had dry dock to upgrade (Jade comes to mind). Read this post from my review of the NCL Star and you should find them, plus maybe a few more on the larger Escape ship. I think the MDR's have a different name. Anyway, the main dining rooms (MDRs) and the buffet are free along with O'Sheehans and the Topsiders Poolside Grill. You also have the Asian restaurant that is mostly free, but has a la carte items on it. Sushi is a la carte. The rest are a la carte or pay flat fee ($25-$30), or get the dining package to eat at the "Big 5" - Teppenyaki, La Cucina, Le Bistro, Moderno, and Cagney's.

Sometimes the a la carte is nice to just get a pizza at La Cucina or something like that. You'll find a mix of reviews on the a la carte pricing on the forums.

As for trekking across, up/down the ship, you will more than likely have to do that on any ship, any carrier.

A lot of lines these days have upcharge restaurants.

We usually eat in the included in cruise fare ones and they're very good too.

It is too bad the agent (was it NCL?) did not mention that only some are included and some are an upcharge.

...and if the purpose of choosing the ship with lots of restaurants was to minimize walking, it won't work very well because most specialty restaurants are limited to supper. Unless you plan on ordering room service for breakfast and lunch, this isn't a good plan.

Personally, I'd be having a talk with the TA. There are ways to strategically pick cabins to reduce walking between desirable areas, but it sounds like the OP didn't get good information to make an appropriate decision.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What cabins do you have now? Rooms on any floor near the aft elevators are probably your best bet, as you can take the elevator to deck 6 for Taste and Savor (free MDRs), deck 7 for the Manhattan Room (free MDR) or deck 16 to the Garden Cafe (free buffet), all right near the aft elevators. There is also O'Sheehan's is near the forward elevator on deck 7, that is free. Other restaurants on Escape do cost extra but some of those are near the aft elevators as well.

NCL mega ships like the Escape do not have mid ship elevators. Be wary of that when booking cabins.

I was confident knowing that my elderly mother would not have to trek from the front of the ship to the back or vice versa (as it is on Carnival sometimes).

Have you considered renting a scooter for your elderly mother? That way she wouldn't need to do so much walking.

As others have pointed out, many of the restaurants are specialties that carry a charge. It sounds like you've cruised Carnival, which has a steakhouse on most ships, but that's the only upcharge restaurant so I understand if you were unaware of the variety of specialties on NCL that it could come as a surprise. Your TA didn't do you any favors by not explaining that. There are restaurants that are included in your fare--it's not necessary to eat at an upcharge restaurant.

I was on Escape in Jan. I have a son in a wheelchair. You basically have 3 Complementary choices. The Garden Cafe Buffet at the rear of the ship on Deck 16. O'Sheehan's is on deck 7, beside the forward elevators. The MDR is really 3 different rooms all serving the same menu. Taste and Savor are right beside each other by the aft elevators on deck 6. And the Manhattan Room room is on deck 7 by the aft elevators. There is a $7.95 delivery fee for all room service orders. In comparison, RCL's, Allure, has 7 different complementary venues plus free room service, all with different menus scattered throughout the ship, but Allure is a larger ship and tends to have a significantly higher cruise fare than the Escape.

Edited by Mouse's Shadow

Check your reservation, especially something called the "Amenity Invoice", to see if the agent has the dining plan included in your fare. It is often offered as a promo. It means those "extra charge" restaurants are included, at least for the number of nights the dining plan states.

I don't know the current promos, but often you get 4 to 5 free meals on a 7 day cruise. It has become very common for people to have this promo.

I find it always pays to do your own research on what is available on various cruise lines and ships before you commit to booking. There are some very good TA's and some that are just plain terrible. Same goes for NCL's PCC's.

This, exactly. Consumers are their own best advocate, if they take the time to be.