Beware The Baths in Tortola

Hamitchell

I fell off one of the boulders to the right on the other side of the beach, tore 3/4 of a rotator cuff tendon clean through. Surgery to repair it is tomorrow am. Painful and expensive.

I found the place so beautiful that I just lost my common sense and leaned up against a rock and soon found myself falling face down toward a rock covered with some sand. My arm saveD me from broken teeth. And I was in fairly decent shape--training for half marathon, weight lifting off days.

Let my stupidity be an example to those who get caught up in the thrill of a new and exotic place!

Have to be real careful with those boulders as they're slippery suckers. Had something similar happen to me on the rock outcropping at Magen's Bay in STT. Fell on one of the rocks but walklled away with only a sore butt.

Walking water shoes made especially for the beach and sea are helpful as they've these protective, lined rubber soles.

Wish you a speedy recovery.

I fell off one of the boulders to the right on the other side of the beach, tore 3/4 of a rotator cuff tendon clean through. Surgery to repair it is tomorrow am. Painful and expensive.

I found the place so beautiful that I just lost my common sense and leaned up against a rock and soon found myself falling face down toward a rock covered with some sand. My arm saveD me from broken teeth. And I was in fairly decent shape--training for half marathon, weight lifting off days.

Let my stupidity be an example to those who get caught up in the thrill of a new and exotic place!

Sorry for your fall, climbing the boulders definitely isn't recommended!

The other thread you started included "Avoid my mistake" in the title and didn't make the Baths sound so ominous. This second thread was missing that and wasn't really necessary was it?

Yes, speedy recovery!

Edited by blue_water

I also had a bad experience there. Same thing, it's so beautiful you forget to watch yourself. I was in Devils bay, enjoying the warm beautiful beach...waves weren't bad. Huge wave went over my head. While trying to recover and get myself back to the beach, another hit, slamming me into one of the boulders. I couldn't recover myself. With the help of a young girl who witnessed, who also called out to her father, who also helped, they were able to get me back to the beach safely. Thank God for them. I could have easily been swept out. The under tow was very strong.

Sorry for your experience tinadago, I'm sure that was very scary.And yes, the undertow can be wicked when there is a sea swell and in the winter months just as anywhere else. We've seen very experienced swimmers have a tough time swimming to shore from their cats during a heavy sea swell. But generally very safe along the shore and boulders as long as you use common sense and aren't too adventurous. I'd hate to see someone miss seeing the Baths because they were scared off after reading of these isolated incidents too. But yes, be careful when among rocks and waves for sure!

Edited by blue_water

Sorry for your experience tinadago, I'm sure that was very scary.And yes, the undertow can be wicked when there is a sea swell and in the winter months just as anywhere else. We've seen very experienced swimmers have a tough time swimming to shore from their cats during a heavy sea swell. But generally very safe along the shore and boulders as long as you use common sense and aren't too adventurous. I'd hate to see someone miss seeing the Baths because they were scared off after reading of these isolated incidents too. But yes, be careful when among rocks and waves for sure!

Definitely don't miss the Baths.

I agree, don't miss them. Just be aware.

I came thru surgery fine. But it hurt bad last night for awhile. That is where the meds came in. It wasn't as bad a sugery as I thuoght it would be. I am a big baby re pain.

Surely hope your pain will go away and you'll be back to normal soon.

Good warning to remind folks to be VERY careful because it is slippery in spots and on that walk up & down the hill getting there.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...