Hospital while on a cruise

Coopie

Some friends of our adult children who also live in our hometown have just experienced a living nightmare because the husband had appendicitis while in Nassau. It is my understanding that most of the issue arose because they sailed using only birth certificates and did not have passports. The hospital required payment in full before allowing them to leave. Additionally, she was unable to stay at the hospital at night with her husband so she had the added expense of a hotel and eating out. From what my son said, it was quite expensive. Their family was helping but could only do so much to help with the financial end of it.

As for the actual care that he received, I'm not sure, however, my son did say that he required additional surgery once they were able to return to the US.

It's something that no one ever plans to happen but is the reason that we only sail with our passports and we always purchase trip insurance.

My sister was on a cruise with about 10 couples. One of the women had to have emergency gallbladder surgery in Nassau. They required payment in full prior to doing the surgery. All the couples were putting money on their own credit cards to pay for the surgery. She wasn't happy with the care she got their either. We always use passports and buy enough travel insurance to cover medical emergencies.

Tortola, B.V.I. while on a cruise, yes, I have. Bahamas, no, I have not.

Was there something Bahamas-specific you wanted to know? Or is it more about experiences with hospitals in other countries while on a cruise in general in which you're interested?

Edited by ShakyBeef

Tortola is very inexpensive. Not the most modern facility, but pretty efficient. I am more familiar as a sailor, not a cruiser.

From my personal experience in the Tortola ER, I would agree with your assessment. I was actually a little shocked at how inexpensive it was!:eek: But it was also a little scary-icky, from the blood spatters on the walls and ceiling, to the doctor not wearing gloves.:eek: I was so thankful when I didn't come down with any kind of infection after my visit there.:cool:

Some friends of our adult children who also live in our hometown have just experienced a living nightmare because the husband had appendicitis while in Nassau. It is my understanding that most of the issue arose because they sailed using only birth certificates and did not have passports. The hospital required payment in full before allowing them to leave. Additionally, she was unable to stay at the hospital at night with her husband so she had the added expense of a hotel and eating out. From what my son said, it was quite expensive. Their family was helping but could only do so much to help with the financial end of it.

As for the actual care that he received, I'm not sure, however, my son did say that he required additional surgery once they were able to return to the US.

It's something that no one ever plans to happen but is the reason that we only sail with our passports and we always purchase trip insurance.

Well said ! Even though medical travel insurance won't help to pay the bill before out of country hospitals will even operate, anyone who travels without passports and medical travel insurance is up against a ticking time bomb.

Happened to someone at our hotel in Aruba a couple of years ago.

a helicopter transport can cost $10,000 on its own.

Are you guessing at this amount? I am sure it is much higher. My son was in a car accident just outside of the town where he goes to college. He was medevac'd less than 75 miles to our home town. The bill was $26,000. If I would have claimed him on my income taxes, he would have been covered on our MedStar account through my work. I let my kids get their own tax refunds, since it's never very much. I do cover him on our health insurance, but I guess I didn't see the (*) or read the fine print when we signed up.

The moral of the story, definitely get the insurance and know what it covers. Most places are probably more than 75 miles from the US and likely much more expensive than $26,000.

I've been on 6 cruises and while I have gone to sickbay for simple stuff like cough drops or decongestant, last year I got an opportunity to see exactly what level of care the sickbay can provide.

We were docked at Rotan, Honduras and my dad had come down with a severe upper respiratory infection. We saw the ship doctor who gave him a breathing treatment, a steroid shot and antibiotics all that and the doctor consolidation at cost of $250. This price also included a followup checkup two days later. Id be paying many times that seeing a doctor US Doctor without insurance.

However while we in the sickbay the ship was doing one of their emergency drills. Since it was really busy they put us in the infirmary while he did his breathing treatment. This is not a room most people ever see. And I have to say, I was stunned. It was comparable if not more advanced than any ICU/ER room I've ever seen in a US hospital. The room was equipped to handle 6-9 patients at once with every advanced medical device you can think of. My dad actually sat next to a bed with a mannequin in it that had a label with the word "deceased" on it. It was apparently part of the drill.

In addition when my dad was done with his breathing treatment and waiting to be discharged and another patient came in with a broken leg and the doctor was in the process performing an x-ray and I overheard he was going to put a cast on her.

My point is after that experience, I have complete confidence for a ships sickbay to handle just about anything and I would go there before going to a hospital on land. Something that would require immediate surgery of some type would probably be the exception, but let the ship doctor make that call.

This was on the Carnival Magic

Edited by wo5m

All great information about the ship's sickbay. Thanks for sharing it, Wo5m.:)

We can't always make the choice to be taken to the ship's sickbay, though. I had a near-fatal reaction to a box jelly sting while on a catamaran off the coast of Tortola, was rushed by emergency boat, then ambulance, straight to the Tortola ER. I was given no choice as to where I was being taken. Granted, I was too busy convulsing and trying to breathe to have made much of a choice, but my DH says he wasn't given a choice, either. They just took me to the ER fast, and I'm grateful to everyone involved in getting me there and most likely saving my life.

All great information about the ship's sickbay. Thanks for sharing it, Wo5m.:)

We can't always make the choice to be taken to the ship's sickbay, though. I had a near-fatal reaction to a box jelly sting while on a catamaran off the coast of Tortola, was rushed by emergency boat, then ambulance, straight to the Tortola ER. I was given no choice as to where I was being taken. Granted, I was too busy convulsing and trying to breathe to have made much of a choice, but my DH says he wasn't given a choice, either. They just took me to the ER fast, and I'm grateful to everyone involved in getting me there and most likely saving my life.

Wow, now that sounds scary

Thanks for everyone's response. Really do appreciate the info. The reason for my post is that, long story short, I was in the hospital 3 times last year and had two surgeries. The first two trips and surgery were for a blockage in my large intestine. Had the surgery in Aug. Had a cruise booked for 8 days in Nov. Feeling fine so we went. Two weeks after we returned I was rushed by ambulance to the hospital with a small intestine blockage due to scar tissue from the earlier surgery. Fortunately we were back home. We cruise once or twice a year and now I am scared to death to leave the country. I was in really bad shape and can't imagine what would have happened else where. Now I know anything can happen to anyone ANYWHERE but after all of this I am concerned.

I was considering going back north to NE/Canada because I would feel much more comfortable should something happen up there but we don't want to do the Sunshine.

One side note,,,we agree about the infirmary. My husband had to use their services on our last trip and things couldn't have gone better. They did a good job.

I also had a positive experience with a ship's medical facility. Was on a ship sponsored shore excursion, gashed my foot on sharp coral. Sustained painful injury.

Received very competent care from nurses/physician.

Since it was a cruise sponsored event, they continued contacting me, the remainder of the cruise. Approached at MDR, inquired about my status; whether I had missed out on any planned activities, etc.

Like all of the other advocates, strongly encourage having travel insurance. Never know what might happen.

What happens if one does not have upfront money?

From talking to a few people who have had this happen to them and discussions here on Cruise Critic, they will not operate until you have fronted the money.

That's why I always carry a credit card or two when I cruise or travel outside the US with a credit limit in the $20 thousand range.

Edited by lizardhowson

Thanks for everyone's response. Really do appreciate the info. The reason for my post is that, long story short, I was in the hospital 3 times last year and had two surgeries. The first two trips and surgery were for a blockage in my large intestine. Had the surgery in Aug. Had a cruise booked for 8 days in Nov. Feeling fine so we went. Two weeks after we returned I was rushed by ambulance to the hospital with a small intestine blockage due to scar tissue from the earlier surgery. Fortunately we were back home. We cruise once or twice a year and now I am scared to death to leave the country. I was in really bad shape and can't imagine what would have happened else where. Now I know anything can happen to anyone ANYWHERE but after all of this I am concerned.

I was considering going back north to NE/Canada because I would feel much more comfortable should something happen up there but we don't want to do the Sunshine.

One side note,,,we agree about the infirmary. My husband had to use their services on our last trip and things couldn't have gone better. They did a good job.

Wow, Coopie, given your history, I can understand your hesitation to leave the country.:( There's always Alaska cruises, in addition to your idea of NE/Canada cruises.:) Good luck. I hope you find the right fit for your vacation, that gives you peace of mind as well as all the great things a vacation should.:)

What happens if one does not have upfront money?

In my case, I was rushed into the ER on a gurney (not surgery, but emergency drugs and treatment to get the reaction under control) and DH was held outside in the lobby. He was not allowed to go in and see me or even be told if I was still alive until he had filled out all the paperwork and handed over the credit card. We weren't given the total cost until discharge, when DH actually signed the bill.

They didn't refrain from giving me treatment until he paid, but they weren't giving him any information or letting us see each other until they knew they were as good as paid. At the time, it seemed like a very long time (to both of us) before they let him into the treatment area to see me. At the risk of sounding melodramatic - he didn't know if I was alive (from the last glimpse of me he had, he feared I might not be), and I thought I might die without being allowed to see him again.:(

They were very serious about making sure they were getting paid.:cool:

Edited by ShakyBeef
dumb typo

From talking to a few people who have had this happen to them and discussions here on Cruise Critic, they will not operate until you have fronted the money.

That's why I always carry a credit card or two when I cruise or travel outside the US with a credit limit in the $20 thousand range.

I'm talking about the average or tight income people who might not have a credit card or a low card limit.....like me.;)

Wow, Coopie, given your history, I can understand your hesitation to leave the country.:( There's always Alaska cruises, in addition to your idea of NE/Canada cruises.:) Good luck. I hope you find the right fit for your vacation, that gives you peace of mind as well as all the great things a vacation should.:)

I am going to disagree with you on the Alaska Cruise. We were on the Carnival Legend back in August and I actually felt like we were more remote. While docked in Skagway we did an excursion that had a tour guide. He informed us that Skagway not only doesn't have a hospital, they don't even have a full time doctor. They do have nurse nurse that can handle mote minor things, but if you need to go to the hospital, your only options are being flown there or a drive that will take several hours. Keep in mind this is a town with a normal population of only 950(not including the seasonal employees that work there during cruise season). As for the other ports such a Juno and Ketikan your probably fine, since they are decent sized cities, but you we didn't get to one of them until the cruise was into it 4'th day.

I 100% agree about getting insurance , except I never get it thought the cruise line. It is really overpriced. I'm I Scuba Diver and since my medical and life insurance will not cover anything that happens during a dive, I am a member of DAN(Diver Alert Network). My wife is even a member even though she can't dive. My basic yearly coverage include emergency air evacuations but I also get will get additional travail insurance though Dan for each cruise that actually covers a lot more than whats available though carnival. Its a fraction of of cost. There are many insurance options out there and I'll go as far saying your will probably have a hard time finding something more expensive than the insurance carnival uses.

I'm talking about the average or tight income people who might not have a credit card or a low card limit.....like me.;)

It's a scary thought. Even generally healthy people can slip and fall or get appendicitis. I guess I didn't realize that travel insurance did not pay up front.

I am going to disagree with you on the Alaska Cruise. We were on the Carnival Legend back in August and I actually felt like we were more remote. While docked in Skagway we did an excursion that had a tour guide. He informed us that Skagway not only doesn't have a hospital, they don't even have a full time doctor. They do have nurse nurse that can handle mote minor things, but if you need to go to the hospital, your only options are being flown there or a drive that will take several hours. Keep in mind this is a town with a normal population of only 950(not including the seasonal employees that work there during cruise season). As for the other ports such a Juno and Ketikan your probably fine, since they are decent sized cities, but you we didn't get to one of them until the cruise was into it 4'th day.

I 100% agree about getting insurance , except I never get it thought the cruise line. It is really overpriced. I'm I Scuba Diver and since my medical and life insurance will not cover anything that happens during a dive, I am a member of DAN(Diver Alert Network). My wife is even a member even though she can't dive. My basic yearly coverage include emergency air evacuations but I also get will get additional travail insurance though Dan for each cruise that actually covers a lot more than whats available though carnival. Its a fraction of of cost. There are many insurance options out there and I'll go as far saying your will probably have a hard time finding something more expensive than the insurance carnival uses.

Good point about Alaska. I've been to all the Alaskan ports you mentioned, and you're right - they were pretty remote. Even Juneau, the capital, can't be reached by road.:eek: I didn't think about that. I was just thinking of it being in the U.S. I guess it's a really good thing we didn't get injured on the White Pass Railway.:o