Is The Wine Corkage Fee Mandatory?

yma01blue

It's been a couple of years since I've cruised Carnival. At the time, passengers were able to bring a bottle of wine per guest on board at no charge as long as it wasn't brought into the dining areas. I recently took a NCL cruise, and to my dismay, was charged $15 corkage fee per bottle that was paid at check-in, or the wine would be confiscated,

I know Carnival has charged $15 per bottle if it's brought into the dining room. I will be sailing on the Carnival Valor next month and am wondering if I will be pulled over during embarkation to pay this fee? Just want to be prepared;)

Carnival's Wine Policy - copied from their FAQ's

Guests are prohibited from bringing alcoholic beverages on board with the following exception:

At the beginning of the cruise during embarkation day only, guests (21 years of age and older) may bring one 750 ml bottle of sealed/unopened wine or champagne per person in their carry-on luggage.

A $15 USD corkage fee (a charge exacted at a restaurant for every bottle of wine served that was not bought on the premises), per 750 ml bottle, will be charged should guests wish to consume their wine or champagne in the main dining room, steakhouse or bar.

All liquor, beer, other forms of alcoholic and non-alcoholic beverages outside of the exceptions referenced above are strictly prohibited in both carry-on and checked luggage and such items will be confiscated and discarded and no compensation will be provided.

---------------------------------

So, yes you can bring a bottle each at no corkage charge to drink in your cabin. DH and I have often gotten a couple of wine glasses from one of the bars to take back to the cabin (:eek: and shhhhhh ... don't tell ... but one could use one of those glasses to take a glass of wine from your own bottle to drink elsewhere:eek:) :D

We carry a cheap corkscrew in our toiletry bag. The room steward can normally loan you one as well if you don't have your own.

Edited by summersigh

Yes, NCL did that. I felt nickel and dimed throughout the entire cruise. Won't sail with them again:mad:

We haven't sailed with them since 2008, but I have been looking at possibly sailing with them again. I like the sound of The Haven, the whole ship-within-a-ship concept. But a few examples of that kind of ridiculousness (mandatory corkage fee) would definitely make me reconsider.:(

We haven't sailed with them since 2008, but I have been looking at possibly sailing with them again. I like the sound of The Haven, the whole ship-within-a-ship concept. But a few examples of that kind of ridiculousness (mandatory corkage fee) would definitely make me reconsider.:(

On NCL you can bring as many bottles as you want, not just one per adult. Depending on what wines you like to drink the system can work for you.

On NCL you can bring as many bottles as you want, not just one per adult. Depending on what wines you like to drink the system can work for you.

Oh! Really? Well, that does change things. I am a wine drinker, this could definitely work for me. I guess a $15 mandatory fee per bottle, with unlimited bottles on NCL could win out against only two bottles (one for me, one for my DH), no fees, and buying the rest of my bottles onboard at hugely inflated prices on Carnival.

Thanks for the information!:)

Oh! Really? Well, that does change things. I am a wine drinker, this could definitely work for me. I guess a $15 mandatory fee per bottle, with unlimited bottles on NCL could win out against only two bottles (one for me, one for my DH), no fees, and buying the rest of my bottles onboard at hugely inflated prices on Carnival.

Thanks for the information!:)

With the cost of your wine plus $15...you might as well just purchase it on board. But then again, you will at least have your favorite.

With the cost of your wine plus $15...you might as well just purchase it on board. But then again, you will at least have your favorite.

It depends on the wine (the price I paid for it at home vs. the onboard price). But you're right, at least I'd have all my favourites. I don't know... I'll have to look into it, as well as NCL's wine list. Thanks, everyone, for the info.:)

...I recently took a NCL cruise, and to my dismay, was charged $15 corkage fee per bottle that was paid at check-in, or the wine would be confiscated,

I know Carnival has charged $15 per bottle if it's brought into the dining room. I will be sailing on the Carnival Valor next month and am wondering if I will be pulled over during embarkation to pay this fee? Just want to be prepared;)

Depends upon the MD. Some will make their waitstaff charge and some will not.

We keep our wine in cabin and bring glasses of wine with us on nights we want it.

OP was talking about the corkage fee being charged (at check-in, for example, with NCL) no matter what, just just bringing the bottle onboard.

Edited by ShakyBeef