Should I give Carnival Glory a try?

KarimaJ

I am hesitant to try Carnival based on poor food reviews and outdated rooms/balconies. I am used to food on RC and Disney but the Glory has the itinerary we want for Western Caribbean. I want good activities for my daughter too. Any thoughts?

We've sailed her twice and loved her both times..try to get the scenic OV room...floor to ceiling window in front of ship..we loved it! Glory is one of I believe on 3 ships with this type cabin. We took our children on the Glory and they loved it. Look at it like this you need to at least try it once...ONLY you will know if you like it but you gotta try it first for you to know for sure!

I am coming back to Carnival after several years on RCI. The Glory is a very nice ship. Food is so subjective, some people like Carnival food, some like RCI. Both have good dishes and bad. I am sure you will find something you like to eat.

We sailed on Glory last September and loved it! We aren't picky but really enjoyed some of the adult areas and the Alchemy Bar. I agree that food is an individual choice but we found plenty of options on this ship. Some of our favorite were the fish and chips, Blue Iguana and Guy's. The deli even made a special grilled veggie sandwich.

Thanks! By outdated, I guess I mean not very modern looking by seeing the pictures. I could be wrong. Another question folks. We aren't big drinkers, from your experience is it a huge party atmosphere, obnoxious drunk loud people, etc..?? I know any cruise will have a few of those but I'm asking from a general feel and vibe of the cruise. I didn't really encounter that on my RC and Disney cruises.

Thanks! By outdated, I guess I mean not very modern looking by seeing the pictures. I could be wrong. Another question folks. We aren't big drinkers, from your experience is it a huge party atmosphere, obnoxious drunk loud people, etc..?? I know any cruise will have a few of those but I'm asking from a general feel and vibe of the cruise. I didn't really encounter that on my RC and Disney cruises.

In my opinion the cabins were no different (except bigger) than the cabins we've had on DCL and NCL.

We cruised the Glory over New Years and while it was crowded it certainly wasn't a huge party atmosphere with drunk people everywhere. Their certainly were some rude and obnoxious guests but you find those everywhere.

:oHow to put this gently so as not to offend Carnival fans...

There will most likely be a noticeably different vibe to the crowd on a Carnival cruise from what you're used to. I have personally seen far more people behaving obnoxiously / drunkenly / inappropriately / etc. on each one of my Carnival cruises than on all my other cruises (1 NCL, 1 Celebrity, 1 RCI) added together. I have also read many more reports of bad behaviour on Carnival ships than on Disney or RCI.

Yes, I know it can and will happen on any cruise (I could tell you a shocking story about 2 of our tablemates on our Celebrity cruise, but won't;)). But I think a lot of people are afraid to admit that Carnival's bad reputation is based partly in truth. Others have blinders on and just will not see anything amiss on their favourite cruiseline. Others that refuse this behaviour exists might actually be the ones participating in said behaviour. And others simply may have been fortunate enough to never witness it. But I have. I have enjoyed all of my Carnival cruises, but it is definitely a different crowd feel, overall.

Hairy chest contests, with raunchy, lewd, overtly sexual behaviours performed by guests as part of the "show", right by the main pool for all (including children) to see. Thong-clad girls twerking and grinding on poles around the pool. Things being done in the public hot tubs that should never be done in public. Profanity emblazoned on T-shirts and shouted in the hallways. Teenagers having food fights across the buffet seating area. People passed out drunk in various public areas of the ship. Belligerent drunks fighting with security. Many instances of self-centered rudeness...These are just some of the things I personally have witnessed on Carnival ships that I never witnessed on any of my other cruises. I don't think it's a coincidence.

Like I said, I have still enjoyed all my Carnival cruises, and have one coming up, but I will only cruise Carnival now for very specific itineraries, or to sail with friends or family that are already booked, or as a free cruise from my Carnival MC points.

I'm opening myself up to a whole bunch of flaming here from the usual suspects:rolleyes:, but I didn't want you, KarimaJ, or anyone else in your position reading this thread in order to get the truth, to get misled into thinking that Carnival will be the same as RCI or Disney.

We have sailed Glory 4 times, last time three weeks ago and had a wonderful time.. We have no complaints, enjoyed all 4. The ship is very nice. Carnivals food gets a bashing all the time, some like, some dont. Im a picky eater so it doesnt bother me. The hairy chest contest is no more. We just finished our 10th Carnival cruise, spanning 3 to15 days, and have never seen or heard any of what ShakyBeef has to say. The 3-4 day cruises do attrach a younger crowd out to party. The longer the cruise the older the crowd gets. Cabins look fine to me, I dont know what is meant by outdated. Give it a try, even if the food is not up to your standards, youll have the itinerary you want.

There will most likely be a noticeably different vibe to the crowd on a Carnival cruise from what you're used to. I have personally seen far more people behaving obnoxiously / drunkenly / inappropriately / etc. on each one of my Carnival cruises than on all my other cruises (1 NCL, 1 Celebrity, 1 RCI) added together. I have also read many more reports of bad behaviour on Carnival ships than on Disney or RCI.

Yes, I know it can and will happen on any cruise (I could tell you a shocking story about 2 of our tablemates on our Celebrity cruise, but won't;)). But I think a lot of people are afraid to admit that Carnival's bad reputation is based partly in truth. Others have blinders on and just will not see anything amiss on their favourite cruiseline. Others that refuse this behaviour exists might actually be the ones participating in said behaviour. And others simply may have been fortunate enough to never witness it. But I have. I have enjoyed all of my Carnival cruises, but it is definitely a different crowd feel, overall.

Hairy chest contests, with raunchy, lewd, overtly sexual behaviours performed by guests as part of the "show", right by the main pool for all (including children) to see. Thong-clad girls twerking and grinding on poles around the pool. Things being done in the public hot tubs that should never be done in public. Profanity emblazoned on T-shirts and shouted in the hallways. Teenagers having food fights across the buffet seating area. People passed out drunk in various public areas of the ship. Belligerent drunks fighting with security. Many instances of self-centered rudeness...These are just some of the things I personally have witnessed on Carnival ships that I never witnessed on any of my other cruises. I don't think it's a coincidence.

Like I said, I have still enjoyed all my Carnival cruises, and have one coming up, but I will only cruise Carnival now for very specific itineraries, or to sail with friends or family that are already booked, or as a free cruise from my Carnival MC points.

I'm opening myself up to a whole bunch of flaming here from the usual suspects:rolleyes:, but I didn't want you, KarimaJ, or anyone else in your position reading this thread in order to get the truth, to get misled into thinking that Carnival will be the same as RCI or Disney.

I'm not cheerleading, but we have sailed spring break, summer, fall, winter. Not once have we experienced what you have described. Not flaming, just my experience.

OP, I do my research, I read reviews, I've learned a lot here on CC about cruising. One thing, I have learned is take everything with a grain of salt.

Go with an open mind, don't sweat the small stuff. Enjoy your cruise!

Edited by sweetsixteencruisers

We have sailed Glory 4 times, last time three weeks ago and had a wonderful time.. We have no complaints, enjoyed all 4. The ship is very nice. Carnivals food gets a bashing all the time, some like, some dont. Im a picky eater so it doesnt bother me. The hairy chest contest is no more. We just finished our 10th Carnival cruise, spanning 3 to15 days, and have never seen or heard any of what ShakyBeef has to say. The 3-4 day cruises do attrach a younger crowd out to party. The longer the cruise the older the crowd gets. Cabins look fine to me, I dont know what is meant by outdated. Give it a try, even if the food is not up to your standards, youll have the itinerary you want.

Carnival is no longer doing The Hairy Chest Contest? Or is that a ship-by-ship (Glory specific) thing? If it's gone from all ships, I applaud Carnival for a change in the right direction.:)

BTW, all those things I witnessed (and I didn't list half of what I've seen in the 'Bad Behaviour' category) on 5-Day or 7-Day cruises. Actually, all but one (Glory 2011) were 7-Day cruises. I have never been, nor will I ever be on a cruise shorter than 5 days, because I whole-heartedly believe that the short cruises bring out the worse crowds.

And for the record, at least half of the behaviour I referred to was perpetrated by adults. I don't have a problem with 'younger' crowds and I'm not anti-kid. I just turned 40, and I'm a mom of 2 DDs (13 & 9). I enjoy the adults-only comedy, and the nightlife in the dance club, for example. I'm not exactly a prudish old fogey that can't stand young people.:rolleyes::p

I'm simply reporting some of what I've seen onboard Carnival ships to help the OP and others that might read this get more information. Just providing some balance.;)

This is why you should take reviews with a grain of salt. Cruise ship reviews are much different then a yelp review for a restaurant or something. Most people go on a cruise and have a great time and don't bother to review it. Then the people who have something negative to say write scathing reviews that make people nervous to book that ship.

I haven't been on the Glory, but I have her booked later this year. However, I would personally rate Disney's food the best out of all of them, followed by Carnival, with Royal Caribbean a close third.

The basic cabins on Carnival tend to be bigger than the basic cabins on the other cruise lines. For example, Carnival has ocean views that are 220 sq. ft., while Royal has ocean views from 159 sq. ft. to 293 sq. ft. depending on which category you choose.

Carnival does have a bit more of a party atmosphere, most noticeable in the pool area on sea days, but not as bad as some will lead you to believe. The hairy chest contest is a bunch of old men trying to dance sexily (is that a word?). It is usually hilarious, and only lasts a few minutes. I have never seen anything there that would make me cover a child's eyes....besides an old dude in a speedo who wasn't in the contest. I'm not saying that ShakyBeef didn't see all those things she described, but that is really not the norm. Again, the bad reviews are the loudest.

As far as kids go, Carnival does a great job. They have their different kids clubs based on age group just like the other cruise lines. Disney is definitely a step above, but they are also several steps above in price. Carnival and Royal are very similar in that regard. Carnival has Dr. Seuss characters with a character breakfast, Royal has Dreamworks characters with a character breakfast.

If you were to give me an option for any cruise line for the same days at the same price with the same Itinerary, I would probably choose Royal Caribbean. However, when Royal Caribbean is regularly hundreds of dollars more than Carnival, or goes to places I've been to 18 times, I'll choose Carnival in a heartbeat.

I'm not cheerleading, but we have sailed spring break, summer, fall, winter. Not once have we experienced what you have described. Not flaming, just my experience.

OP, I do my research, I read reviews, I've learned a lot here on CC about cruising. One thing, I have learned is take everything with a grain of salt.

I believe you. And I appreciate you disagreeing without flames.:) I even stated in my post that I was aware others will (and already did) report quite opposite experiences from mine, for various reasons. I also agree about the grain of salt and researching.

It is in that spirit, in order to provide a totally honest, more balanced sample group of viewpoints and experiences, that I shared those experiences here. I am not saying you or anyone here is being dishonest, I believe you are reporting the truth of your experiences just as I am reporting the truth of mine.

There are many people who have witnessed similar bad behaviour and consequentially have been turned off of Carnival, will never come back, and thus won't see this thread to post here. There are also people here on the Carnival boards that could back me up, but won't 'put themselves out there' to do so. But that's OK, I knew the risk I was taking when I posted. I just thought it would be a kind of dishonesty on my part to have read the OP and know what I know, and not report honestly.:o

The demographics of any ship including the Glory depends on when you cruise. We just got off the Glory February 13 and the majority of cruisers were of retirement age. If you are going during Spring break you can expect more families, children and college students. Give it a try. There was one bar by the main pool that got kind of rowdy at times but you can just move to a different area. We had a great time in the Glory and she was one of the cleanest ships I have been on. Also the MDR food was good if not better than our RCI Freedom of the Seas trip in November. The buffet was not great and if you eat lunch late the food was warm to cold. But hey there is pizza, burgers, sandwiches and Mexican food available everyday.

Thanks for the unbiased reviews everyone. I wouldn't say we are prudish old folks, but are probably a little more conservative then some. I just don't want my daughter around a bunch of drunk fools. A few here and there no biggie. I don't care about people dancing around having fun, I just don't want to hear the F bomb being dropped around kids, etc... Even if hairy chest contest is going on, we can choose to go elsewhere.

I am looking at Norwegian Getaway too, more stuff on board for kids, but more $$ of course. This Glory itinerary is better IMO so we shall see :)

I'm going to be lazy and just say I agree with this. I can't guarantee you'll have fun because I don't know exactly what you like. Loved the Glory. I would have no problems going on her again.

My daughter has cruised with Rccl, Celebrity; about six cruises. Her last cruise was on Carnival Glory. She said it is not in the same class, as the other ships. But overall, Glory was acceptable, and would recommend it.

Like yourself, the ITINERARY is my first criteria, in selecting a cruise. If Glory has your desired itinerary, I would go for it!

Ditto for me as well. Except replace spring break, fall, winter cruises with New Years Eve and Mediterranean cruises. Even on the NYE cruises, all was good fun.

I should also point out, I've never been out and about after 1 am or before 5 am, so I don't know what goes on between those hours.

No Flaming from me. People don't stop and think about children being around and what they see.

No Flaming from me. People don't stop and think about children being around and what they see.

Thank you. I really appreciate the lack of flaming from everyone.:) I was pretty sure I was in for it after mentioning those negative experiences. And I completely agree with you that people don't stop and think about children being around and what they see. That is definitely part of the issue.

A few more bits of info just for clarification on that bad behaviour I witnessed:

• I have never sailed on any cruise over a holiday (unless you count Tet or Valentine's day), or Spring Break. All of these cruises were just "normal", non-holiday cruises.
  • These were all 7-Day cruises on Carnival Pride, and one 5-Day Glory cruise (the most rudeness and bad behaviour).
  • The bad behaviour wasn't constant throughout the entire cruise, and wasn't the majority of passengers.
  • All of the mentioned incidents occurred in public areas of the ship, between the hours of 9:00AM (I'm not an early riser:o) and Midnight - no 'wee hours' shenanigans here.

KarimaJ,

Check out this thread, if you haven't already, to get an idea of what Carnival is and is becoming:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2318929

...a lot of different opinions and experiences are being shared, that when taken all together, paint a fairly accurate picture of the Carnival cruise experience.;)

The Glory holds about 3K paying customers. There will be some that wont like something. Then, they bitch about it like a 5yo. There are many food options on the ships. Something for everyone.

Many people bitch about RCI- Anthem of the seas. I see it has a very low rating

Don't put much focus on reviews. Go in with an open mind and have fun

I see we are cut from the same cloth. I enjoyed Carnival the first 3 times I sailed, but now that I've been on RCI 3 times since, the shortcomings are obvious. On my 2nd time with Carnival, the table mate next to me was so drunk he passed out during dinner, literally every night. It's uncomfortable eating when the person next to you is face first in his food. Eventually I didn't see him again due to missing the boat after passing out in a bar on the island. I found out after the cruise that he was an ex-convict and was arrested for probation violation for leaving the state.

I agree that 3 to 5 day cruises with carnival runs a very high risk of an unsavory crowd.. The cruising world is RIPE for a company that will bring back the days of old. By days of old, I'm talking basically the 90's and 00's.

Cruising is still an enjoyable experience, but gone are the days of selecting a random cruise ship. Do your research and you should be ok.

KarimaJ,

Check out this thread, if you haven't already, to get an idea of what Carnival is and is becoming:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2318929

...a lot of different opinions and experiences are being shared, that when taken all together, paint a fairly accurate picture of the Carnival cruise experience.;)

I really liked the Glory. Loved the layout. No idea if it's dated because I just don't pay attention to that kind of stuff.

As for the crowd on Carnival, I guess it depends on the length of the cruise and when it is.

But one thing I'll say about the crowds: the young people having fun don't bother me as much as people with sticks up their butt, worrying about what other people are doing instead of just having fun themselves. I have never been on a Carnival cruise where drunk people bothered me. Maybe it's because I'm busy bothering others. I don't know. I'm drunk.