Skagway - Avis Car Rental Question

csroberson3

Will be in Skagway in June, 2016. Party of 7 has decided to rent a van while in Skagway after reading lots of reviews from past travelers. This seems to fit our needs the best.

Just curious if anyone knows of any discounts for renting a van in Skagway. We prefer to all go in one care as opposed to renting two cars. Besides the price was about the same for renting two cars versus one van. Right now the price for the van is about $246.00 for the day. Seems really high for a rental.

We looked into Sourdough Rental company too but found them to have some really bad reviews.

Any help or advice much appreciated!!

You can try various discounts, that you are qualified for, but, don't expect success. In the past there were few discounts accepted.

Frankly- that is a darn cheap per person rate for what you are getting, even with gas- should be less than $45pp.

I'd suggest calling the agency and asking them if they offer any discounts. You might be able to get an AAA or AARP (dont have to be 50 to join) rate. But don't be surprised if that's the price you have to pay. We're cramming all five of us into full size cars in Alaska because the price difference between the car and van was over $100/day in Skagway and Seward. Just can't justify the additional expense.

A few months ago someone posted a potential discount code for Avis: W046000. I've booked Avis cars in Skagway and Juneau for my June cruise and I'm sure I tried the code, but I don't remember at all whether it worked or not. But it's worth a shot.

A few months ago someone posted a potential discount code for Avis: W046000. I've booked Avis cars in Skagway and Juneau for my June cruise and I'm sure I tried the code, but I don't remember at all whether it worked or not. But it's worth a shot.

This is a travel industry rate- and I know for a fact, in the past, you had to show your eligibility (which I have), and them repricing those who did not qualify.

I tried every discount code I have access to through memberships, loyalty programs, etc. ... at least 8-10. None of them worked for our 2015 Avis rental in Skagway. They know they don't need to discount during high season.

We paid about $125 for a mid-size car, which by lower 48 standards is ridiculous. But when you compare that cost to the price of an equivalent tour for each person, you will generally save money.

The drive into the Yukon is well worth the cost!

Have those of you who have booked through Avis done it online? I am not sure whether I will be renting a car or not, but did browse the site. On the main Avis page, the location near the cruise port is not listed and when I attempt to reserve through the Avis Alaska site, the site fails midway through the process.

Will be in Skagway in June, 2016. Party of 7 has decided to rent a van while in Skagway after reading lots of reviews from past travelers. This seems to fit our needs the best.

Right now the price for the van is about $246.00 for the day. Seems really high for a rental.

$246 for 7 people is a lot cheaper than any tour. Also you have to consider the lack of competition. They have a captive audience & probably could get away with charging more than that!

Have rented there for many years. Just booked again last night. They were showing 6th Street address instead of 3rd street. This is still very close to port-everything in Skagway is close to port.

They are now open all year. The 6th st is their winter address. The Westmark, hasn't been open in the winter. Every year- they open the 3rd Street address during the cruise season.