Thomas Keller food on Odyssey

won2go

My wife and I are currently on the Odyssey from Sydney to Fiji. I was very much looking forward to sampling the new Thomas Keller menus on the ship. The first opportunity was the Napaburger at the Pool Grill. It had a larger than normal meat patty with raw red onions served on a rather sweet brioche bun. Yes it was a little different than the regular burger but was it better? No, not at all.

Next opportunity to sample the TK food was in the main dining room last night. On offer was blistered heirloom carrots as the appetiser, followed by citrus crusted king salmon and then a chocolate tart with coffee ice cream. Appetiser tasted OK but the portion size was about 1/3 of what I would consider a normal size. Salmon was served on a bed of rice porridge and was totally covered in yellow so that it was impossible to see the salmon on the plate. My wife and I both thought it was probably the worst dish we have ever been served on the ship, her description was that it tasted worse than hospital food. The dessert tart was very salty and it was impossible to taste any coffee in the ice cream that was served with it. All in all a big disappointment. At least in the restaurant you do have a choice as to whether you dine TK or choose from the regular menu, but when they do TK food served family style in the Colonnade there is no alternative.

I know that our views are very subjective but the other two couples on our table, who have been on the ship since January, share a very similar viewpoint to ours on the TK food, especially the family style service in the Colonnade.

I am also on the Odyssey....at a table of 6 last night only one person ordered the whole TK menu. The appetiser was the smallest appetiser I have ever seen, but she enjoyed it. She also enjoyed the salmon.....but both her and her husband seemed to have the opinion that TK could do no wrong. (he didn't order any of it though) Both the other lady and I ordered the chocolate ganache tart.....I am a chocoholic, and didn't like it at all. Much too rich, I LOVE dark rich chocolate, but this was quite bitter, and as stated above, very salty, as in lumps of salt.....we both only ate half.....and I agree, I had forgotten it was supposed to be coffee icecream, I thought it was just vanilla.

I'm trying to go on memory here but that dessert wasn't one of the ones that featured sea salt was it?

Sorry you don't like the new burger, for my tastes the new burger and hot dog are an improvement over the old. Now if he'd just teach them how to do Bouchon fries...

If you see Garlic Fries listed on say a lunch menu in the restaurant - they have no resemblance whatsoever to what you'd see in a ballpark, brewpub or come to think of it - any restaurant in the states that offers such fare.

We are currently on the Sojourn. Today, and for three more days, we are in Myanmar, or should I say, one and a half hours from Myanmar.

Two nights ago, we tried the family style dinner in the Colonnade. We have had better ribs from Tony Roma's. We have not found anything special about the TK menu.

The internet is working just fine and is faster than we have experienced in the past.

Our captain is Karlo Buer, HM Helmut Huber, CD John Howell.

Last week we had dinner at Buchon in Yountville, Napa Valley, one of Keller's restaurants. It was perfect. I would expect something approaching that with the Keller menus on Seabourn, but I can see from the reviews on this thread and on others that something is going wrong. Very wrong. The Keller empire should be aware.

Last week we had dinner at Buchon in Yountville, Napa Valley, one of Keller's restaurants. It was perfect. I would expect something approaching that with the Keller menus on Seabourn, but I can see from the reviews on this thread and on others that something is going wrong. Very wrong. The Keller empire should be aware.

I dined at Ad Hoc last week and had a surprisingly disappointing meal. The food was good albeit not spectacular. The service, sadly, was marginal. I've had more gracious and attentive service at Applebee's.

The muffin I picked up at Bouchon for my next morning's breakfast was lovely though!

Edited by jenidallas

I dined at Ad Hoc last week and had a surprisingly disappointing meal. The food was good albeit not spectacular. The service, sadly, was marginal. I've had more gracious and attentive service at Applebee's. ��

The muffin I picked up at Bouchon for my next morning's breakfast was lovely though!

I wonder if Kellers learning about the downsides to empire expansion now. Good to know the bakery and Bouchon are still putting out a reliable product.

I've eaten at every Keller restaurant and always come away happy (though in the case of French Laundry and Per se also a little poorer.) I eat regularly at Bouchon in Beverly Hills and likewise love it. I am a bit concerned about these current reviews of the TK menus on board the ships but I will reserve my judgement for when he actually has the chance to open the TK restaurants on board where he (or his associates) will have more control. Let's hope that makes a difference.

We were on from Auckland to sydney , After readingCC comments before boarding we were not sure of what to expect. our only previous experience with Keller was at per se , great meal but $$$. On the ship we only had the meal once in the Restaurant. The meal that night was very good and served hot and on time. We skipped the other nights particularly in the Colonnade as we did not like the menu. The burger and napa hot dog were terrific. but we ate those at the patio grill.

Highly doubtful that a keller menu will lead to more customers for SB but they, like any business need new things to keep the product fresh.

we booked Antartica for next year because its SB not Tom Keller