First time sailing with RCI . What should we expect?

My husband and I will be cruising on the majesty of the seas in August. This will be my first sailing with RCI ( Hubby sailed with them when he was around 16, songs been a long time) and we have only sailed carnival prior. What should we expect? We are 25 and 28.. Will there be enough for us to do? We won't be doing formal night because we don't have a suit for hubby, but will the other nights in the dining room still be enjoyable? Do they offer any souvenir drink glasses? Has anyone ever not gotten their luggage to their room? We had that happen on carnival so I'm really nervous to check my bags? I'm just in uncharted territory here lol

Edited by quirkygrl16

Some differences from Carnival:

Royal has no per day drink lmit on the beverage packages.

Royal does not require everyone in the stateroom to purchase a beverage package.

Royal has no equivalent to FTTF or Early Saver fare.

With regard to formal night, the cruise line does not enforce dress suggestions, and many ignore the suggestions anyhow, so you can wear what you like.

Some differences from Carnival:

Royal has no per day drink lmit on the beverage packages.

Royal does not require everyone in the stateroom to purchase a beverage package.

Royal has no equivalent to FTTF or Early Saver fare.

With regard to formal night, the cruise line does not enforce dress suggestions, and many ignore the suggestions anyhow, so you can wear what you like.

So we could just wear a nice dress and a nice button up and be okay?? Hubby would really like to do formal night. And we could do one beverage package and share??

First of all, the Majesty is an older ship. The cabins are smaller than their other ships, so don't judge the line by the Majesty cabin size.

Don't skip formal night. If your husband has a nice shirt and a pair of slacks, you will be fine. All of your nights in the dining room should be most enjoyable.

The drinks of the day often come in souvenir glasses. If you don't want to pay a little extra for the glass, ask the server for the drink in a regular one. (P.S. the drinks of the day are usually at a good price.)

It has been my experience that on any Royal cruise you can do as little as you want or as much as you want. There will be plenty of activities scheduled.

Just relax and have fun.

So we could just wear a nice dress and a nice button up and be okay?? Hubby would really like to do formal night. And we could do one beverage package and share??

No problem with the dress, but no sharing of drink packages is allowed.

First of all, the Majesty is an older ship. The cabins are smaller than their other ships, so don't judge the line by the Majesty cabin size.

Don't skip formal night. If your husband has a nice shirt and a pair of slacks, you will be fine. All of your nights in the dining room should be most enjoyable.

The drinks of the day often come in souvenir glasses. If you don't want to pay a little extra for the glass, ask the server for the drink in a regular one. (P.S. the drinks of the day are usually at a good price.)

It has been my experience that on any Royal cruise you can do as little as you want or as much as you want. There will be plenty of activities scheduled.

Just relax and have fun.

Thank you for this! I don't drink a lot so the thought of getting a fun cup for when i do is a perk lol. I'm glad to hear we can do formal night! We don't get to enjoy nights out often as new parents so hubby will be excited to hear this!

Edited by quirkygrl16

We quit eating in the main dining room because hubby didn't like getting dressed up. Our last cruise in September we decided to go back to the dining room. On formal night he wore black Dockers and a button down dress shirt and 95% of all the men looked exactly the same as he did! We're so glad we decided to give it another try! Majesty was our first ship on our first cruise and we never left Royal!

We quit eating in the main dining room because hubby didn't like getting dressed up. Our last cruise in September we decided to go back to the dining room. On formal night he wore black Dockers and a button down dress shirt and 95% of all the men looked exactly the same as he did! We're so glad we decided to give it another try! Majesty was our first ship on our first cruise and we never left Royal!

So excited to hear this!

As others have said .... Formal Nights are no longer all that formal on Royal Caribbean ships. Your husband will be fine in some nice long pants and a shirt with a collar.

It's a no-no to share a beverage package.

There'll be enough activities to keep you entertained in the evenings.

Look forward to having a GREAT cruise! :)

Op, you will have a wonderful time! Don't worry about the repeated postings about "no sharing the drink package." It's a hot button here and many people don't read the whole thread before chiming in. You are thoughtful to ask in the first place; most people don't.

Thanks for being so considerate about formal nights! We are in a group of old "formal types" who now consider button-downs for men & black slacks with a nice top for ladies the ultimate in dressing up!

Op, you will have a wonderful time! Don't worry about the repeated postings about "no sharing the drink package." It's a hot button here and many people don't read the whole thread before chiming in. You are thoughtful to ask in the first place; most people don't.

Thanks for being so considerate about formal nights! We are in a group of old "formal types" who now consider button-downs for men & black slacks with a nice top for ladies the ultimate in dressing up!

Thank you! Yes I like to ask things, especially being on a completely different cruise line than we normally sail on. I would hate to do something that is considered wrong. My husband is really excited for formal night now

While she is older, Majesty is a great ship with a great crew. We've sailed on her twice and enjoyed both cruises. Your cabin steward will leave you a "Cruise Compass" every evening with all of the activities listed for the next day - lots of different things to do on board. Have a great cruise!

Drinks cost more on RCCL than carnival (10-12$ vs $7-8)... You can bring 1 bottle wine each in carry on, and bring to dining room if you like. As others have said, formal night is more of a "dressier" night. RCCL does not hav 50 million photographers blocking every inch.