UBP freebie charges

KarimaJ

I noticed with the current promotion if you choose the UBP it tacks on a $173 service charge to the booking. Is this for tips or in lieu of tipping on board? Seems like a lot of you don't plan on drinking large amounts of alcohol.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

I noticed with the current promotion if you choose the UBP it tacks on a $173 service charge to the booking. Is this for tips or in lieu of tipping on board? Seems like a lot of you don't plan on drinking large amounts of alcohol

It is 18% gratuity of the retail price of the package. Would be a similar 18% if you pick the dining package.

I noticed with the current promotion if you choose the UBP it tacks on a $173 service charge to the booking. Is this for tips or in lieu of tipping on board? Seems like a lot of you don't plan on drinking large amounts of alcohol.

Drinks have an 18% gratuities charge automatically so that is the drinks gratuity. You will still have the DSC to pay each day.

Edited to add: I was typing my answer the same time as BirdTravel was posting.

Edited by NMLady

So if we aren't big drinkers it wouldn't be worth it to us. When I chose UDP I think it only added $26 to the booking. Choices, choices....

Ubp covers soda and nonalcoholic aka "virgin" drinks too, which you'd pay 18% per drink too.

Just figure how much you would pay for charged drinks and see if it'd be more than $173. Chances are, the answer is yes.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

Edited by tiger-91

Norwegian's Ultimate Beverage Package includes a variety of spirits, cocktails, wines by the glass and bottled or draft beer up to and including $15 and unlimited fountain soda and juices at all bars, lounges, restaurants and the Great Stirrup Cay. A 20% discount will be applied to all bottles of wine purchased on board.

A sticker will be placed on your guest key card to identify that you have purchased this package.

The Ultimate Beverage Package does not include room service, package sales, ship specific promotions or beer buckets, designated Super Premium brands (subject to change), bottled wine, mini bar purchases, bottled water, fresh squeezed juices, select Lavazza coffee beverages, energy drinks, vending machines, wine stations or spirits, cocktails, draft or bottled beer and glasses of wine over $15. One (1) beverage per person per transaction. Package can be used in all restaurants, lounges, bars and Great Stirrup Cay. Any items over $15 will receive an $15 discount and the guest will be charged the difference to their account.

An 18% gratuity and beverage service charge will be added to all package purchases; your check may reflect applicable VAT and/or taxes for certain ports or itineraries. Packages must be purchased by all qualifying individuals residing in the stateroom or additional staterooms under the same method of payment for the entire length of the cruise. Packages may not be shared and are non-transferable and non-refundable. You must be at least 21 years of age to purchase any alcoholic package and to consume alcohol. See the terms of our guest alcohol policy. Other terms and conditions may apply. This package is not available for purchase on charters, sailings that are two (2) days or less and Pride of America. Guests purchasing this package on board during the dates of March 1st through April 15th will only be able to purchase on embarkation day.

Please note that rates are subject to change at any time at the discretion of Norwegian Cruise Line

Ultimate Beverage Package Terms & Conditions

Tiger, so how much would a smoothie or fancy coffee drink cost? Roundabout price would be helpful so I can decide if it's worth it for mostly non-alcoholic.

I don't buy those so I don't know. Neither one of those are in the package anyway.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

Edited by tiger-91

Drinks have an 18% gratuities charge automatically so that is the drinks gratuity. You will still have the DSC to pay each day.

Edited to add: I was typing my answer the same time as BirdTravel was posting.

Sorry, what is DSC? I'm new at this.

So if we choose the UBP as one of our Free at Sea items, we still get $173 added to the price of the cruise?!

Yes. I just chose UDP and shore excursion credit so I didn't add $250 to our cruise price (2 adults and 2 kids). We don't drink much pop or alcohol, so it didn't make sense as we will spend less buying as we go.

I really don't like these changes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes. I just chose UDP and shore excursion credit so I didn't add $250 to our cruise price (2 adults and 2 kids). We don't drink much pop or alcohol' date=' so it didn't make sense as we will spend less buying as we go.

I really don't like these changes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk[/quote']

Gah, thanks for that warning! I was thinking I'd switch from the shore excursion credit so I'd have the option of doing non-NCL excursions (I have the SDP chosen already, I got two with my balcony booking) but I'll definitely take 250 minutes of internet access if there isn't a massive extra charge!

Gah, thanks for that warning! I was thinking I'd switch from the shore excursion credit so I'd have the option of doing non-NCL excursions (I have the SDP chosen already, I got two with my balcony booking) but I'll definitely take 250 minutes of internet access if there isn't a massive extra charge!

Exactly. We were in a suite in Jan so didn't have the extra gratuities on the "free" packages, but the balcony doesn't get that perk :)

If there hadn't been 3 feet of snow in the past week I could have stayed home, but I need another vacation!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So if we choose the UBP as one of our Free at Sea items, we still get $173 added to the price of the cruise?!

Yup. Just to be clear, though, it's not $173 for everyone -- the cost of the "free" UBP choice depends on the number of days. You must be looking at 7-day cruise. To calculate how much the UBP will cost if you choose it for any given cruise, take the cost of the UBP if purchased (currently $69 per day), and multiply it by 2, and by the number of days on your cruise. That's the retail price of the UBP. Then multiply by .18 to get the cost. So, in your case, it's 69x2x7x.18=$173.88. For a 14-day cruise, the supplement you have to pay is $347.76.

When you understand that's how they do it, it really puts the lie to the whole "18 percent" for all but the heaviest of drinkers. If you're not planning to drink $69 worth of drinks every single day of your cruise, you're actually paying a service charge much more than 18 percent. For example, if you take a 7-day cruise and you both have 3 drinks a day at $10 per drink, the $173 you were charged really turns out to be a 41.4% "gratuity" and "service charge" on what you actually drank. It turns out to be a true 18 percent service charge on what you actually consume if you drink nearly $1,000 in booze in 7 days.

$173 for 2 people. Basically, if you each drink 9 total alcohol drinks the entire cruise, that amount is covered. If no alcohol, about 4 sodas each per day would also cover it.

$173 for 2 people. Basically, if you each drink 9 total alcohol drinks the entire cruise, that amount is covered. If no alcohol, about 4 sodas each per day would also cover it.

Right -- the easiest way to look at it, I think, is that you're paying a co-pay. Everything a couple drinks above $25 per day is "free". I would note, though, that there's an opportunity cost here if you would use one of the other free choices you're foregoing. For example, if you book excursions through NCL and forego the shore excursion credit, you're giving up $200 for free beverages, or if you sometimes use the Internet on board, you're giving up whatever you might use (for example, even you would only use 75 minutes on the cruise to check e-mail, not taking the free internet package is an opportunity cost of $50 or so).

Edited by Regguy

No, it is on the retail value. Clearly stated on the promo T&C.

Yeah, I was on the Escape last week...and I would order the most expensive drinks I could..so an Old Fashioned with Woodford Reserve was I think $14.50. They take your card and ring it up and then also ring up 18% so that 1 drink would out of pocket be $17.11 out of pocket...

I would have 2 glasses of wine with dinner and they were $10 or $11.80 with gratuity...so you're at $23.60 per dinner x 7 = $165.20 for wine with dinner...

I am not a big drinker...I haven't had a drink since the cruise...but it was a good deal even for me.

The 18% gratuity is added to the drink price. It goes to the crew person that serves you the drink. Since most of the crew is working for tips, do you think those free drinks would be coming to you as quick without at tip?? You got the drinks for free...don't be cheap on the crew tips. ;-)

Personally, I don't mind the surcharge. Last cruise I went on, me and my girlfriend had the UBP and drank much more than the service charge. We enjoyed it very much and other couples we met did too.

It all varies whether you think it's worth it. A younger crowd will definitely love this and view the charge as a necessary cost.

It all varies whether you think it's worth it. A younger crowd will definitely love this and view the charge as a necessary cost.

I'd like to speak for people I know in the "older crowd" out there. My husband and I are by no means over-the-top drinkers. I'm still pretty sure we will love this as well and we totally understand the charge. In my opinion, it doesn't take that much to get to the point where you save money. I think that LrgPizza's explanation summed it up perfectly.