UBP freebie charges

KarimaJ

Not to sound like a lush but first time on NCL. Is there a limit per day of how many drinks you can have? I heard that Carnival offers a beverage package now but you can only have 15 drinks a day?

Thanks

And what you heard about Carnival's limit is true.

And what you heard about Carnival's limit is true.

I heard that too, from my daughter and son-in-law, who sailed Carnival over New Years. Not only is the free drinks in the beverage package a 15 drink limit (which is what most reading this thread might think), but you cannot even PAY for ones beyond that limit. The way they tie it to your keycard you are not allowed to even buy a drink if you have hit the 15 drink limit.

The only thing I don't know is if the limit would apply if you were paying for all the drinks, (no beverage package).

Edited by QuiGonJohn

To put some minds at ease, the $15 dollar limit is very high. The only things I've seen over that were several wines (and as a previous poster mentioned, there are 100+ wines to choose from), the top-notch champagne, and a few top-notch bourbons/cognacs (maybe the one "best" tequila too). Everything else you can think of is under $15...cocktails (without the souvenir glass), shots, spirits, beer...so don't really worry about that. This was the case on Carnival as well (especially now with their "$50" max...what drink even costs that much?! lol) and I'm assuming on other lines also.

Here's a link I found with pictures of some menus...it's probably old, but I was just on NCL in August and they prices were similar. At least to give you an idea of pricing if you don't have the UBP and are planning on paying.

http://www.cruisewithgambee.com/norwegian-drink-lists/

Look, if you don't have the UBP, you still pay the 18% in addition to the drink you have to pay for...so you might as well get the package and only pay the 18% and get the drinks for "free."

Hope that helps, y'all~ :cool:

To put some minds at ease, the $15 dollar limit is very high. The only things I've seen over that were several wines (and as a previous poster mentioned, there are 100+ wines to choose from), the top-notch champagne, and a few top-notch bourbons/cognacs (maybe the one "best" tequila too). Everything else you can think of is under $15...cocktails (without the souvenir glass), shots, spirits, beer...so don't really worry about that. This was the case on Carnival as well (especially now with their "$50" max...what drink even costs that much?! lol) and I'm assuming on other lines also.

Here's a link I found with pictures of some menus...it's probably old, but I was just on NCL in August and they prices were similar. At least to give you an idea of pricing if you don't have the UBP and are planning on paying.

http://www.cruisewithgambee.com/norwegian-drink-lists/

Look, if you don't have the UBP, you still pay the 18% in addition to the drink you have to pay for...so you might as well get the package and only pay the 18% and get the drinks for "free."

Hope that helps, y'all~ :cool:

Not to mention that 18% on the daily package price is a lot less than what it would be on the drinks. And it doesn't matter how many drinks you have, you don't pay more gratuity with the UBP.

They kind of make it confusing, in a way, as some of the wording makes you worry if besides the UBP price and the automatic gratuity, you might also be charged a gratuity on each drink you get under the package. That aspect would worry me, but I am sure, from posts of so many people's experience, that it is just poor wording on NCL's part.

Not to mention that 18% on the daily package price is a lot less than what it would be on the drinks. And it doesn't matter how many drinks you have, you don't pay more gratuity with the UBP.

They kind of make it confusing, in a way, as some of the wording makes you worry if besides the UBP price and the automatic gratuity, you might also be charged a gratuity on each drink you get under the package. That aspect would worry me, but I am sure, from posts of so many people's experience, that it is just poor wording on NCL's part.

You are correct. I've done 3 sailings with UBP, and others around here have even done more. You definitely will never be charged a gratuity on a drink if you have the package. This is the same whether or not the package was purchased or received as a promo. The gratuities will be zeroed out on the ship, just like the drink price is.

You are correct. I've done 3 sailings with UBP, and others around here have even done more. You definitely will never be charged a gratuity on a drink if you have the package. This is the same whether or not the package was purchased or received as a promo. The gratuities will be zeroed out on the ship, just like the drink price is.

I will say that w/o the promo, I would not have taken the package. I usually don't drink enough to make paying for the package and gratuity to be worthwhile and I can get by with drinking even less than normal. On our 7 day Alaska cruise I did not get the package. We had a bottle of wine in our stateroom as part of our booking. We also got one for taking part in the "Newlywed/Not-So-Newlywed Game". And I also bought some rum in Anchorage and brought it on using rum runnners, along with a case of coke I bought in Anchorage as well. And I was fine with that. But for this next cruise, the promo is such a good deal I figured, why not.

Right but what I'm saying is with the ubp u pay the service charge already for the tips.. So say the drink is an even 15 before tip.. I shouldn't have to come out of pocket anything because the drink is right at 15 and have already payed the tips.... Correct? So the tips that I already payed for the package includes the gratuity of drinks 15 and under?

Yes, that is correct...I believe another post said they do not even print a receipt or make you sign anything since the 18% has already been paid and you chose the UDP. I you order a drink that is priced at $15 you will not pay anything extra unless you are still in port and the ship has not set sail yet. Then they have to charge you due to the law that requires a tax be added to drinks purchased before the ship sets sail. Once the ship has left the port than no you would pay nothing extra.

With Carnival's new exceptional drink package you are only limited to 15 alcoholic drinks per 24 hour period. The other included drinks, coffee, sodas, waters etc are unlimited.

But remember, if you are on Carnival and on their Alcoholic Beverage Package, the 15 drink limit is not only for the free alcoholic drinks, but it denies you the ability to pay for and consume additional drinks, beyond the 15. Unless someone else, (either that does not have the drink package or does have it but is drinking less drinks, gets the drink for you).

Yes, that is correct...I believe another post said they do not even print a receipt or make you sign anything since the 18% has already been paid and you chose the UDP. I you order a drink that is priced at $15 you will not pay anything extra unless you are still in port and the ship has not set sail yet. Then they have to charge you due to the law that requires a tax be added to drinks purchased before the ship sets sail. Once the ship has left the port than no you would pay nothing extra.

This is a new wrinkle that I had not heard of. In fact, I thought some people choose to stay on the ship so they can drink vs. going into the ports where they would have to pay. Can you provide or point us to more specifics? Do you only have to pay the tax, still free UBP drinks? Is it only certain ports? Any other pertinent info?

Can you provide or point us to more specifics? Do you only have to pay the tax, still free UBP drinks? Is it only certain ports? Any other pertinent info?
There are many threads about this, just search for "UBP" "port" "tax" etc.

It's only certain ports (up to the local authorities), and you only pay the tax. Your drinks are still free up to $15 with the UBP.

But remember, if you are on Carnival and on their Alcoholic Beverage Package, the 15 drink limit is not only for the free alcoholic drinks, but it denies you the ability to pay for and consume additional drinks, beyond the 15. Unless someone else, (either that does not have the drink package or does have it but is drinking less drinks, gets the drink for you).

This is a new wrinkle that I had not heard of. In fact, I thought some people choose to stay on the ship so they can drink vs. going into the ports where they would have to pay. Can you provide or point us to more specifics? Do you only have to pay the tax, still free UBP drinks? Is it only certain ports? Any other pertinent info?

Wow! Carnival is actually telling someone how much they can drink, to me that is amazing. I would never cruise Carnival just out of principal, now that I know they are actually telling passengers how much they can drink. BTW, I rarely drink so I'm not concerned with the number, it is just that they have the audacity to stipulate how many drinks a paying customer can have. I can see limiting the drink packages, but then if someone wants a drink, then someone should be able to purchase it.

You only pay tax, the drinks are free if you have the UBP. It happened to me in Miami, but I believe there are a few more ports that do this. It has never happened to me at the ports of call on my cruises.

Wow! Carnival is actually telling someone how much they can drink, to me that is amazing. I would never cruise Carnival just out of principal, now that I know they are actually telling passengers how much they can drink. BTW, I rarely drink so I'm not concerned with the number, it is just that they have the audacity to stipulate how many drinks a paying customer can have. I can see limiting the drink packages, but then if someone wants a drink, then someone should be able to purchase it.

You only pay tax, the drinks are free if you have the UBP. It happened to me in Miami, but I believe there are a few more ports that do this. It has never happened to me at the ports of call on my cruises.

Thanks for the info re the ports of call. Our cruise is stopping at 2 places in Mexico, and I think Honduras and Belize. Just have to remember to keep my drinks to a minimum in Tampa on Embarkation Day. Still, I think the 0.00 cost means any tax should be zero as well. Does anyone know for certain, leaving Tampa, does the tax status change once the ship is unmoored or do you have to be out of the channel and in the gulf?

Edited by QuiGonJohn

you shouldnt look at it ithis way, you should look at it as purchasing the package for $12.42 per day instead of 81.42 per day. So if you select this package and have a couple of sodas and an adult beverage or two each day, then you are ahead.

Thank you! That's very helpful!

you shouldnt look at it ithis way, you should look at it as purchasing the package for $12.42 per day instead of 81.42 per day. So if you select this package and have a couple of sodas and an adult beverage or two each day, then you are ahead.

That's why I took it with this free promo and why I would NOT if I had to foot the whole bill.

I saw some posts talk about NCL's costs (or any cruise line for that matter). The truth is, just looking at the actual costs they incur to get all that alcohol on board, then dividing that cost to a per drink amount, they are making a KILLING whether you pay per drink or buy the UBP. I would bet the actual cost per drink is probably about $1, give or take a bit. And quite possibly much lower than that.

The only "cost" that hits them now, if they give away the UBP or were to just stop charging for drinks altogether, is the lost income they would be giving up compared to what they take in by charging for alcohol.

They are not telling anyone how much they can drink. They are saying our $49 package entitles you to up to 15 alcoholic drinks per day, and unlimited soft drinks. Drink 0 for all they care.
They are saying that you can only have 15 alcoholic drinks per day, even if you want to pay for them over and above your package. That is telling someone how much they can drink. Carnival's drink package certainly isn't exceptional, it's dictatorial.

Samples of multiple drinks.

Well with UBP, you can just order one of each, one at a time. If you don't like it, just get something else.

Reminds me of one other limitation on Carnival's Drink Package (per my daughter), you cannot get another drink until at least 20 mins have elapsed since you last got a drink. I don't know if NCL has any such limit. If anyone does know, please chime in.

Also, if anyone knows about when leaving port, (particularly Tampa), does the no tax kick in once the ship is underway (all lines cast off, as it should count), or does it not take effect until you sail past some given point?

Well with UBP, you can just order one of each, one at a time. If you don't like it, just get something else.

Reminds me of one other limitation on Carnival's Drink Package (per my daughter), you cannot get another drink until at least 20 mins have elapsed since you last got a drink. I don't know if NCL has any such limit. If anyone does know, please chime in.

Also, if anyone knows about when leaving port, (particularly Tampa), does the no tax kick in once the ship is underway (all lines cast off, as it should count), or does it not take effect until you sail past some given point?

NCL is 5 minutes between drinks and 15 max. Some servers might not ring the drink through thus some can get over the 15 max.

NCL is 5 minutes between drinks and 15 max. Some servers might not ring the drink through thus some can get over the 15 max.

Woah, you are the first person I heard who said NCL has a 15 drink max. And this has been discussed about due to Carnival's restriction, in several posts in this thread. Are you sure about this? Where are you getting this info?

Or perhaps you are talking about the $15 drink price limit.

Here is one quote that says NCL does not have a limit.

No daily limit.

Neither of those is correct. There are no limits like that.

It's not uncommon for more than one drink to be charged at a time.