Breakaway elevator questions

JAMESCC

I know this is an odd topic, but I thought I'd ask anyway. Unfortunately I am just a bit claustrophobic, and that makes me not the biggest fan of elevators in general. We usually sail RCCL, and their ships are full of glass elevators or scenic elevators. Still a 50/50 shot at getting a glass elevator or regular elevator. Breakaway doesn't have any glass elevators correct? I can phyic myself into it, and I use the regulars on RCCL when I didn't get a glass elevator but obviously prefer glass. I will say this, cruise ship elevators are SUPER fast, and that helps with my issue. Again I know and odd topic, but I'd appreciate any info.

Edited by JAMESCC

No glass elevators on Breakaway. Sorry :(

Thanks I thought so. I'll just have to do what I have to do. Cruise ship elevators are super duper fast though and like I said that helps. Some land elevators are so dam so long its scary, but cruise ship elevators are extremely fast.

One thing to consider is that atleast on the other Breakaway class ship, Getaway, the elevators have pretty dark interiors and are really dimly lit - it might be a problem if one is really claustrofobic.

Yeah that don't help. Bright elevators are better for people like me, super bright is best. Thanks for the info though. I guess I might be using the stairs more on this cruise.

One of the biggest tricks for the Breakaway and Getaway (and now the Escape) is realizing that there are actually FOUR sets of elevators and not just TWO. It is explained in this post from 2014:

If you ask “How many banks of guest elevators are on the Getaway?”, most people will reply “Two”.

And most people would be wrong. There are actually FOUR!

Once you read this, you will be able to not only see the difference, but you’ll learn a trick to cut down on your wait time for an elevator.

b4f71a_1a51900e655344c6a93d27cfc02f1cc1.jpg

This diagram shows the set up for the elevators. The elevators are labeled with an E followed by a number, and the locations of the call buttons are labeled with a B followed by a number.

You will find two sets of eight (8) elevators on Getaway, one forward and the other aft. Each set consists of two independent banks of elevators.

The key difference is that one bank in each set goes to Deck 16, but the other only goes to Deck 15…that and the fact that the forward set is arranged differently than the aft set!

Here is the breakdown (maybe not the best word to use when describing elevators):

Forward Elevator Group

In the forward group, elevators E1, E2, E3, and E4 go to Deck 16. Buttons B1 and B2 are the only ones that call these elevators.

Elevators E5, E6, E7, and E8 only go to Deck 15. You have to use Buttons B3 and B4 to call these elevators.

As an example, if you press button B3 to call the elevator, elevators E1, E2, E3, and E4 will not respond.

Aft Elevator Group

The aft group is like the forward group except that the elevators are divided differently.

In the aft group, elevators E2, E4, E6, and E8 go to Deck 16. Buttons B2 and B4 are the only ones that call these elevators.

Elevators E1, E3, E5, and E7 only go to Deck 15. You have to use Buttons B1 and B3 to call these elevators.

Simple, right?

The big thing to remember is that if you want to go to Deck 16, you have to hit the buttons that operate the Deck 16 elevators.

If you’re going to any other deck, you will get an elevator faster if you press buttons for BOTH banks instead of just one.

Most people experience long waits for elevators because they push only one button without realizing that they've only called HALF of the available elevators.

Note...this applies to the Escape as well, but the deck numbers have to be increased to allow for the additional decks. However, the layout is exactly the same.

Interesting info, thanks. It looks like Breakaway has a lot of elevators, enough to not have an issue. I have seen pictures of the elevator banks and there to be a ton of them.

Unfortunately (coming off Oasis and Anthem this past year) the elevators on Breakaway are also oddly shaped in addition to being rather dark. I've never seen elevators that are quite the same shape... they're oddly thin but deep. Kind of strange. One of the great things about the Quantum and Oasis class ships, in addition to having glass elevators, is that they're all huge.

Best thing I can suggest is looking at as many pictures or videos as you can find beforehand so you know exactly what to expect, and then you can hopefully have a couple of good experiences right away and increase your comfort level. Good luck -- hope it turns out OK for you!

Edited by Dave85