drink package

iriemon

My friend just returned from the regal and said the drink package was cheaper on board than it was if you bought it in advance ($49 vs $56 per day) I am going in April and was wondering if anyone else had noticed this. Thanks

Does Princess offer any discounts on their beverage packages on embarkation day?

No, the package is only available the first couple of days of a cruise and then it's not available anymore. We buy it before we cruise.

It's the same price on board as pre paying (they add gratuity to it regardless of how you pay).

So, if you do want the package, buy it right away. If you wait until you are on day 2, there is no credit offered and you pay for the whole thing (from what I have heard).

I'm still trying to decide if the drink package is worth it, since we're off the ship most days.

Would anyone happen to have a price list for soda, coffees, beer, wine and cocktails?

I figure if you drink 6 to 7 drinks a day it pays for itself

I figure if you drink 6 to 7 drinks a day it pays for itself
That's mostly alcoholic beverages. You'd have to drink a lot more than 6-7 soda, coffee, mocktails, etc. on average every single day whether you're onboard or in port. The packages are offered to make the cruise line money. Lots of money. :) Edited by Pam in CA

No, the package is only available the first couple of days of a cruise and then it's not available anymore. We buy it before we cruise.

It's the same price on board as pre paying (they add gratuity to it regardless of how you pay).

So, if you do want the package, buy it right away. If you wait until you are on day 2, there is no credit offered and you pay for the whole thing (from what I have heard).

On our 15 day LA to Fort Lauderdale Panama Canal cruise over thanksgiving, I was able to buy the package on the second day and it was prorated.

On our 15 day LA to Fort Lauderdale Panama Canal cruise over thanksgiving, I was able to buy the package on the second day and it was prorated.

That is the first time out of a lot of posts I have read regarding the AIBP that is was prorated.

I would be interested to know if anybody else has had it prorated.

I'm following this thread as well because am also debating getting the package for our Med cruise. However, I'm mainly a wine drinker, and I believe you can only get wine by the glass, so my question is; is the wine sold by the glass of a good quality, or is it like in some all inclusive hotels - cheap rubbish?

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2038576

This thread contains a link to an amazing spreadsheet that another CC'er made with all the drink prices and you can calculate what you consume and decide if the package is right for you!

There are at least two versions of the spreadsheet. I think Post #205 has the more up to date one. Plus other folks have posted lots of photos of bar menus in this thread.

I'm following this thread as well because am also debating getting the package for our Med cruise. However, I'm mainly a wine drinker, and I believe you can only get wine by the glass, so my question is; is the wine sold by the glass of a good quality, or is it like in some all inclusive hotels - cheap rubbish?

they have very nice wines $10 and under at the vines bar....and you may bring glass to dining room, they also have by the glass in MDR.

we found most of the wines were of good quality

That is the first time out of a lot of posts I have read regarding the AIBP that is was prorated.

I have only seen a post or 2 in the last few months where there was a 1 day discount for the AIBP. I would not count on being able to have it prorated.

You also get 40% off whole bottles which you can share at the table or take back to your cabin.

You can buy bottles of wine or by the glass. In terms of whether the math works.....the spreadsheet referenced is very helpful. From personal experience, I had it on the Regal and enjoyed "drinking without thinking," the ability to try different drinks, get coffee, bottled water, etc. However, on our last cruise, I brought my allotted amount of wine, and some water bottles and opted not purchase. When I tallied what I had actually spent vs. what the package would have cost for 5 nights, I saved $130 by not purchasing it. I also think itinerary will influence my decisions in the future - a port intensive cruise means less time on the ship so I'd lean towards not getting it.......now a transatlantic with lots of sea days might be a different story [emoji4]

Just off the Regal and had the drink package....bought it on day one. Several of my friends bought it on later days. The only discount was for the days that you did not buy it. The day starts at 0700, so buy it early on the day you plan to start it. Some bought it on the last 2 days, so I think it might be available the whole cruise. It covers everything except the more expensive drinks (over $10 I think....maybe $15)....sodas (coke products) specialty coffee, fresh squeezed OJ, bottles of water, Red Bull.....everything. This is one of the best drink packages offered. Some do not include water. I would not get it again as I did not drink enough to make it worth it. But....it was fun to have it!!

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2038576

This thread contains a link to an amazing spreadsheet that another CC'er made with all the drink prices and you can calculate what you consume and decide if the package is right for you!

There are at least two versions of the spreadsheet. I think Post #205 has the more up to date one. Plus other folks have posted lots of photos of bar menus in this thread.

Thank you so much for posting the spreadsheet. I tried to download it so I could print is but something on my computer did not support the file. Is there somehow I could get this e-mailed to me? I can't even read it on my PC but I can read it on my iPad.

• 1 month later...

We bought ours on the second day of our most recent cruise on the Emerald and it was NOT prorated. Buy it on the first day if not prepurchase if you are going to purchase. We're considering whether or not to purchase again on our next cruise which will have significant sea days. I noticed we did get more bottled water, sodas, etc in addition to alcohol with the package.