All Things EARTH... part 2

CCHelp

Happy 4th of July, everyone!  It is just me and my husband today.  It kind of feels like a Sunday, because I work tomorrow.  My husband is off - lucky guy!

I ordered a very good deal on a top from Macys that seemed perfect for summer and for a cruise, with some great colors in it.  It didn't fit right, so I decided to order a size up when I noticed that they also have a maxi dress version.  All was on sale at great prices, so I ordered both.  Sadly, the fitch just isn't right.  Oh well!  

Who knows - they may be right for one of you, so here are the links and pictures for you.  This is definitely more of a dark aqua or teal color than how it looks here.  I may try to get a copy of the fabric before I make the return for you.

I.N.C. International Concepts Women's Printed Keyhole-Neck Maxi Dress, Created for Macy's - Macy's (macys.com)

I.N.C. International Concepts - Women's Printed Keyhole-Neck Maxi Dress

I.N.C. International Concepts Women's Crossover Halter Top, Created for Macy's - Macy's (macys.com)

I.N.C. International Concepts - Women's Crossover Halter Top

In the photos, I really thought this was more fire than earth, but in person, it could go either way.  I found the colors to be darker, for sure.

The shirt is currently $23.00 with the coupon, but when I ordered it, it was $19.00.  Both the shirt and dress are lined.

There is a coral version of the shirt, and I tried that for the fun of it too.  I did not try it on, since the print didn't fit right.  It is a very bright color though - perfect for our friends that are spring or fire.

I'm off to grill some dinner, but wanted to check in with you all!

• Like 1

Hi all,

I took a vacation day today as my husband is out of town until Sunday.  Both of our dogs are getting older and have some health issues, so it is sometimes helpful to spend a bit more time with them as they get stressed when we aren't around.  I went to work this morning for an hour and came back home as planned, and they were so excited.  It made my day.

My goal is to get some odds and ends done, and I've already done a lot of little things.  My daughter and I may go to dinner later,since it isn't often our schedules line up.

I spent a bit more time working on cruise outfits.  I will post some pictures shortly.  My daytime outfits in particular aren't really settled.  I often find that if we have a port day and I get really sweaty, I'm certain I will change when I get back.  One nice thing about my past 2-3 cruises is that I feel that I am bringing more travel friendly clothing.  It is lighter and easier to pack.  I will re-wear shorts when I can but I tend to go through extra shirts.

My dinner attire is almost completely set.  I wanted that maxi dress I posted a few days ago so badly...sometimes, things just don't work.  I have the dresses I need though without it.  There is one dress that may change, depending on something I ordered from Nordstrom Rack.

I just love to plan it all out.  

• Like 1

Just a heads up, but it is a gloomy day and the light above out bed gives off the weirdest light.  I tried to adjust some of these but couldn't get them right.

Here are two outfits with closeups of the shirts. These here I feel pretty sure are going with me.

IMG_20240711_154019.thumb.jpg.6a8721ddd7d7458afdd429231ac54d30.jpg

These here are all very likely.  I'm missing a pair of shorts in one because they are in the laundry but they are a pull on, linen blend in an ocean blue type color.  This is where I HD some difficulty with color.  That's light brown type color with the rust shorts.

IMG_20240711_154120.thumb.jpg.d48ff9965cd6b8e8385f1a2cc926ab6e.jpg

Here is another outfit.  The peach shorts are very muted and the top is from Target from years ago

20240711_144145.jpg

20240711_144211.jpg

20240711_143713.jpg

• Like 1

For port days, I love tech fabrics if possible.  They let my skin breath and dry fast.  Plus, the stretch makes them comfy.

The shirt is ivory and the  blue skort is a much better color than you see here.  Now the green skort and top...yikes on the colors!  No filter would fix it but you get the general idea.

20240711_144003.thumb.jpg.3042276d5bf4bc91e4e1c045062ab89b.jpg

20240711_143806.jpg

20240711_144009.jpg

20240711_144006.jpg

• Like 1

Living room chair to the rescue, lol.  The picture window can be so helpful with colors. Still, you can see how easily what you put next to something changes the color.

Overall though, the blue is so much more accurate.  I didn't post the purple option earlier, because the color was so far off.

The greens look much better in here too 

20240711_155731.jpg

20240711_155832.jpg

20240711_155921.jpg

• Like 1

That is a wonderful shirt!  I think I saw that the other day and was thinking about it.

Fortunately, many of my shorts and tops are stretchy.  I'm down 5 pounds but I have a way to go still. 

I love the colors in that shirt.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, laurspag said:

That is a wonderful shirt!  I think I saw that the other day and was thinking about it.

Fortunately, many of my shorts and tops are stretchy.  I'm down 5 pounds but I have a way to go still. 

I love the colors in that shirt.

Laurie, Chicos sale has LOTS of earthy colors this summer. Great sale

Laurie, love seeing your dresses and accessories layout. You have so many nice cruise outfits.

Our next cruise is an early November southern Caribbean, so we will have some new to us ports. I am just now starting to plan our shore days. Unless I lose some weight I will be packing the same old same old because I refuse to buy anything new in my current size.

Right now I'm getting ready for a short trip to see my brother. We have fun things planned for the 3 days I'm there. It will be a shorts and t's kind of wardrobe, so I'm  not thinking too hard about packing.

• Like 1

We’re brutally hot this week & weekend (triple digits). Hiding inside with ac & ceiling fans

our next trip is February. A week in Ft Myers & then a 10-night cruise out of Ft Lauderdale on Celebrity Eclipse. 

IMG_0499.jpeg

Weight is an interesting thing, Margaret.  When I lost weight a while back, it was so difficult. I got to a certain point and just couldn't lose any more. It took so much effort to maintain, that when my husband got sick and I stopped going to the gym, my body changed almost immediately.

We are now using our home gym, and it feels good to be exercising again.  My body seems so resistant sometimes, and my hip issues have been worse lately.  I think it is because I became too sedentary and my body is adjusting.

I really have no choice but to but clothes, although some of what you saw in this picture isn't new.  Same with the accessories.

Shorts are the worst right now.  I'm glad for the ones I have with an elastic waist!!

Melody, we have had some days with temps like that too.  It's been mostly mid 80s with high humidity here.  We just have a few room air conditioners, and we have had them running a lot 

Margaret, is the hest more bearable at the lake? 

• Like 1

Just so you know...I keep following along...I'm just in a weird head space right now with DH still working and living in Seattle (and it being a horrible company and so he's been trying to get a different job back here in Florida) and DS getting ready to leave for grad school at the end of the month...move in day is Aug 3 back up in ATL as he is going to Georgia Tech for his masters...

Meanwhile...I feel caught in the same place I always am...basically waiting for the next thing and trying to help the others in my life while figuring out what am I doing for myself?

Laurie! I find it so fascinating to see how the color of your bedspread changes in the photos...and it is just crazy that those shorts are the same shorts in the different pics. I think your wardrobe choices look very we curated. You have some great colors and all your accessories look great to me. I used to really like bracelets but then I got annoyed with them around the house...but I'm wondering about them again as something for when I am not doing typical around and in the house work...When is your cruise again? 

Melody...I remain is disbelief that so much can happen to you and yours in the way of needing doctor care...and also steadfast in my belief that you have one of the best attitudes regarding it all. That outfit is lovely on you and all your photos from Hawaii are wonderful. You family always looks like they're having such a great time together. It's a joy to see.

Margaret...I hope you have fun with your bro!

My next trip will be a road trip pulling a trailer to ATL...

Meanwhile...I have been doing Aqua Zumba and any other water fitness class at my local Y. They have a class every day they are open at 10:30AM. I have been recovering from a hip injury which isn't so much an acute injury as a repetitive use compensatory situation related to my knee...the water has been a fabulous tool for getting better. One teacher says Resist and Assist for water...it's supportive but also work...

I was an early adopter of rash guards but I found that doing any sort of water exercise with a rash guard was very annoying...the shirt would float up if it was loose and if it was tight it would ride up...so I quickly looked for a long sleeved swim suit. I found one locally at Target in what I would say is a FIRE color, and when I bought it earlier in the season, it was on sale: 

https://www.target.com/p/women-s-long-sleeve-rash-guard-high-coverage-one-piece-swimsuit-kona-sol-blue/-/A-87801055?preselect=87766142#lnk=sametab

The quality of construction on this suit is outstanding. Fully lined. And either because of that or because of the material, it has a compression quality to it that is really great. I wasn't thinking of the backs of my hands though and I quickly got quite dark there and so when I was looking for a second suit, I went for a thumb hole design. This next suit isn't as great of a suit construction wise but it works well enough. Now the color though, it EARTH:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08VHXKXRT?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details

I got the Cupid color. It doesn't have that compression feeling that the Target suit has...and the legs are a bit wonky as the reviewers stated...but I only use it for my class at this point and it's getting the job done. So here is me in my class outfit of that suit, a Cotopaxi hat and my sunglasses:

IMG-7527.jpg

I would love to go on a vacation...I think I'll just have to resign myself to vicariously going with all y'all.

• Like 1

Anita!!!  It is wonderful to hear from you.  You seem to be in a good spot and a tough spot, all at once.  I think your husband looking for a job back in Florida sounds ideal.

Being at a job you aren't happy with is really rough. 

The water zumba classes sound like such a great idea.  I'm struggling a lot with my hips, and often wish I had the ability for some water activities, as they are known to be helpful.  My husband has been told a number of times that a pool where he could exercise would be great for his arthritis. It just doesn't make financial sense to put in a pool in our climate.  

I've looked at rashguards a lot but can never quite figure out if I want to get one.  I love the idea of sun protection, but wondered if the are hot or restricting? I love the colors on both of those.

My bedspread is a true testament to the weird lighting.  I think the actual color only looks correct in two of them.  The spare bedroom was a much better place to take clothing pictures, but that is the home gym now. I plan to post pictures of that room soon, but I'm waiting for us to put in the new fan.  It isn't exciting, but it is a really good room to be in.  Sometimes, I will go in and sit to clear my head after a long day.  My exercise consists of using weights for the upper body, and doing a lot of great exercises for hip mobility, flexibility and so forth.  

We plan to add one more piece of equipment and it is to give us some variety similar to the items we used at the gym.  They have regular sales on it but we want to finish our deck before making any major purchases.  This is what we have in mind:

https://totalgymdirect.com/shop/total-gym-xls/?gad_source=1&gclid=Cj0KCQjwkdO0BhDxARIsANkNcrfAe97FJpUad7B4L-LN8EQv3nRkKivnIKR9J5ZtJfxAkqXL89a2xioaAvXXEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

Posted (edited)

Anita, so good to hear from you!  I’m sad that your DS’s job is miserable. I’ll add you to my positive thinking list. Yay on son going to Georgia Tech for grad school!! Maybe DS could find a good job in ATL area (lots of opportunity there). Keep doing those aqua classes. I miss mine so much, but I can’t handle the chlorine, when I joined that gym it was a saltwater pool (which was great). 

we’ve seriously discussed putting in a swim hot tub. 

we had a fabulous time in Hawaii, but have as a group said next big family trip will be a cruise as it’s so much cheaper. Hawaii was great, but super duper expensive (especially food)

Edited by awhfy

Your pictures from Hawaii are great, Melody!  You all look like you had such a fun time.  It has been on my bucket list for a while now, but we have not given it any serious thought due to the cost.  A cruise may be the only way we are able to have that experience, which is not a bad thing!

It is funny when I look at my outfits, and think about what I'm going to wear.  One thing that I often do is remain on the lookout for possibilities.  Even though I am almost certain of what I am bringing with me, if I come across a good deal on a dress or top, I will consider it.  I do try to purchase things that are not cruise only clothes, but I don't really have formal dress occasions very often.  This is one of the reasons why I grab a great deal when I find it.  In the past, I would re-wear dresses more often than recently.  This is because of weight.  Even when I lost weight, I found that the distribution of weight changes after a while, and things didn't fit the same.  Ironically enough, I couldn't fit into some items even though I weighed less than when I wore it initially.  I have no idea how to explain that!

Anyway,,Nordstrom Rack has some great deals right now.  I tried a few things that didn't work out, but if you are looking for a dress or top that are a good quality and brand for a low price, check them out.  The only downside is the deduct $9.95 from your return if you send it back by mail. 

Here are the items I tried, but sent back.

This is a lovely satin type fabric.  It is fully lined, and with my chest being heavy, it wasn't a deep V.  The slit didn't go up that far either.  The color is a very strong, true spring/fire color.  While I can often wear spring colors, I felt like the dress was wearing me instead of me wearing the dress.  It was not the most flattering, but not because of issues with the dress, it is just my current shape.  It is $40.00.

image.png.760f82601354e99a9d8560060380192f.png

This dress here left me wanting it so badly, but I needed to send it back.  First, the colors are some of the best soft autumn colors combined that I have seen in a while.  The photo does not do it justice.  There are touches of metallic gold, and the fabric was high quality.  I would describe it like a silk.  Now, with my chest, the dress tented out.  I felt like it could have been made in the exact same style with less fullness, and it would have had more widespread appeal.  The second issue is that at the neckline area, they could have added an inch or two of fabric to maintain the halter look that would have allowed you to wear a racerback bra.  I seriously wanted to find a way to make into what I wanted because I loved the fabric so much.

image.png.73de084436f0d96d13206079058ae081.png

This dress here I think I am keeping.  At $30.00, it isn't a big investment and the alteration I want is super simple.  Once again, it kind of tents out a bit.  A small adjustment to the side seams will take care of that.  The color is called faded rose red.  I wasn't sure what to think of that, and it seemed very earth like when I looked at it online.  In reality, it is a color that is hard to describe.  Salmon, maybe?  A pink coral kind of color.  It works.  This is also available in an olive green that looks warm.  Isn't it funny how olive can be?  Often, it is very cool and air like.  The olive version of this is not, at least online.  There is also a midi blouson version of this dress that I am seriously looking at in the olive.  

image.png.ce2deb560b1adfc7793cb52f17e34364.png

I often think that for simplicity, buying a dress such as the one above and adding my gold sandals and some blingy or gold jewelry would work just fine on dress your best night.  I love the dresses I have that I can dress up or down.  I even think about that green dress I'm bringing, and how the plisse fabric lends itself to being dressed up easily for DYB night.  I know that wearing it more casually is questionable.  I've got two months to go, so I can always switch it over to the formal accessories and bring along another casual dress that I already have, or even the one I just posted above.

Petal and Pup -

In other clothing news (lol) I found myself thinking about the Lucky Brand jumpsuit that I had returned.  For $139.00 and feeling like I would get limited use from it as well as not thinking my husband would like it, I just couldn't bring myself to keep it.  Last week, it was on sale for $89.00, and I had $20.00 in Macys Star Rewards about to expire.  So guess what I did?  I reordered it.  For reference, I have free shipping and returns with Macy's and the rewards were about to expire, so I had nothing to lose.  

It came in on Thursday, and I was trying it on again when my husband walked in and said "that's cute!  You bringing it on the cruse?"

The rest is history. 🙂  To me, this is a bit of a more frivolous purchase in a way, and I try hard to keep that under control.  I buy things, but return most of it since I know I am picky about color and fit.  The item really doesn't fit in to what I think I would be expected to wear, but it makes my heart happy.  Here is a picture,, as a reminder of what item I am referring to.  Sorry the picture is so small.  I didn't save it the last time, and I guess it is now out of stock.

Lucky Brand Women's Pleated Sleeveless Jumpsuit

Time for me to get back to laundry!  My husband is at a car show, so I am by myself today.  This was a nice digression. 🙂 

• Like 1

Laurie, love, love that log green dress, & the jumpsuit!  The salmon/coral short dress is really pretty also. 

I was so excited today when a black/taupe/white kimono style jacket arrived, until I tried it on. I got a small & 4 of me could have fit into it!  Then I started looking at it closely, the black on the sleeve had bled into the white, making it look muddy. Obviously, this is going back. I’m bummed. Melody

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

I hate when something arrives that I was excited about and then I end up disappointed.  Quality issues are the most disappointing, in my opinion.  Is this something you think you might try reordering?

I was putting something away a moment ago, and I saw something where I had to go grab my phone and get a picture. My sister likes to give me jewelry that she comes across that she thinks I will like.  For some reason, it always seems to be something that I would never have grabbed on my own, yet it works perfectly with something I have.

Remember this photo?  She gave me a bracelet recently that looks fabulous with both outfits. Here are the outfits:IMG_20240711_154019.thumb.jpg.8e6da725a78612ead0881ef91be17aad.jpg

And here is the bracelet. I will only wear it with the floral shirt and camel shorts because the brown beads aren't right with the other shorts. However, the color in the photo really isn't accurate for the brown shorts.  Close, but not quite.  Here is the stock photo, which is accurate.

Screenshot_20240721_124320_Target.thumb.jpg.af572f93e936be02e0aa17beba8fb564.jpg

and here is the bracelet:

20240721_122812.thumb.jpg.53718db60c1a72c3972251e4dd5a92a4.jpg

Edited by laurspag
  • Like 2

Love that short coral dress, Laurie. And I'm not surprised you got the jumpsuit,  you seemed to really really like it. It's funny sometimes, the things I think my DH won't like, I'm totally wrong about.

I spent a long weekend with my brother. I got caught up in the Delta mess and it was quite an odyssey... was 4 hours late getting there, and quite an long day getting home... but made it back on Monday at midnight.  

We had an awesome time. We went to the Ann Arbor art fair on Friday when I arrived. We really enjoyed many of the booths, and had a delicious dinner at a local restaurant. I went to college there so it was fun to see campus and my old haunts where I met my DH.

Saturday there was a car show and balloon festival in my hometown. We went in his 1971 Cougar blasting Bob Seger and visited with lots of car enthusiasts, even saw one of my favorite cousins.

20240720_141751_compress99.thumb.jpg.9a583ea813af40d33e9974cf8e3ddfb9.jpg20240720_141400_compress18.thumb.jpg.ffa79bc31c567eb3a9b8b53af8647630.jpg

I had a 2004 GTO like this one, but in yellow.

20240720_162543_compress6.thumb.jpg.ad3f8df7f3a43fe344947f5863c40a91.jpg

My Grandma had this car. When we were little all 4 of us sat in a row in the back seat.  😁

20240720_162156_compress24.thumb.jpg.af3d0d109e229fbc4df8119222685ee1.jpg

20240720_191005_compress36.thumb.jpg.c1958b6a4b0a6a7c860c9168cdd537f6.jpg

20240720_191809_compress91.thumb.jpg.87d227d5a0f8740446d8fb5ec55de9dd.jpg

20240720_191403_compress41.thumb.jpg.cc58d55ddb426e58ca95965087b380f0.jpg

20240720_192426_compress73.thumb.jpg.28ad90ddbb6e6e133112ed3b3dd56e37.jpg

Sunday we drove to Grand Rapids to visit my uncle. What a lovely visit. He reminds me so much of my dad. From there we went to visit the cemetary where our grandma is buried. I had never been there since she died while I was away from home.

The weather was warm so I packed very light. I did a Zumba at the Y, and thought I might swim but I didn't. I was glad I packed light since with all the delays I was carting my bag around a lot. I wore my tan shorts, sweater,  and sneakers every day with these tops.

20240717_120831_compress82.thumb.jpg.5f565809df28265352668e44b208ae22.jpg

I'll probably go back again in October when DH has  a business trip. It will be a good month to visit wineries and go hiking.

• Like 2

Margaret, glad you enjoyed your visit!, great clothes capsule.

Our granddaughter was traveling to Europe when Delta had the issues. She was lucky. She & her girlfriend had done carryon only. British Air had 2 seats (business) that someone hadn’t been able to get to. Gate agent said we can’t get your luggage. They held up their carryons & gate agent said get on board no charge. She’s going to ref some rugby games. When they got to Amsterdam they found out their vrbo was a houseboat. Needless to say they’re having a blast. Melody

• Like 1

Margaret, you look like you had a wonderful time!  I love your outfits, and I can certainly relate to car shows.  My husband is a big car guy, and on Saturday mornings, there is a local thing called Cars and Coffee.  It is in a plaza where Wegman's is located, so you can show up with your own coffee or grab one at Wegman's while you look around.  My husband and I go almost every single week, unless it is raining or we have other plans that interfere.

It is a really big deal for us, in a way.  We are doing something strictly for our own enjoyment, where we walk around and just chat, at our own pace.  I really value things like that, because we generally only go on vacation once a year, and we do not really get out a ton.  We have gone to a Syracuse Mets game this summer, and will be going to another one in two weeks. Last night, we had a belated birthday celebration for my daughters.

I think this is part of why I enjoy the planning process for a cruise so much - it is like extending the fun.

Dinner with my daughters and husband was great.  We have noticed a notable decline in our favorite restaurant for special occasions, but you can't beat going out with family.  We sat outside too, which is not an option very often around here.  Generally speaking, we tend to go pub style places when we go out, just somewhere that we can watch sports and relax while we eat.  Some events call for a special dinner though, and we often dress up more than usual.  Nothing fancy, maybe a sundress or something like that.

We poured 14 footers between yesterday and today for the deck.  If you want a good workout, go to Home Depot, load 28 bags of cement at 50 pounds each into a truck, unload the truck when you go home, and then haul the bads out one by one to mix them.  🙂  I'm excited that we are moving on the project though.  Up next is framing.

• Like 1