Weather on Sea Days - February?

richmke

We are going on our first cruise this weekend, and wonder what weather we can expect on Sea Days (Western Caribbean)? I can get the weather for the ports, but don't know what to expect out at sea on Sea Days, and in the evenings between ports.

Thanks.

We have taken seven Caribbean cruises, always in February (our anniversary). Most of them have been in southern Caribbean. Some departing from Florida, others from San Juan. We have always had great weather, on days at sea. Of course , you can count on a breeze. Never been too cool, to need a jacket. On one cruise, we experienced dense fog, but overall, great temps and weather.

I've been on Caribbean cruises in the early spring where the entire trip was cold to cool and windy to breezy with rough seas and giant swells. I have also traveled when it is warm to warmer. Been on cruises where long pants and sweaters were a necessity.

Just check the 10 day forecast and pack accordingly.

We are going on our first cruise this weekend, and wonder what weather we can expect on Sea Days (Western Caribbean)? I can get the weather for the ports, but don't know what to expect out at sea on Sea Days, and in the evenings between ports.

Thanks.

which port?

we sailed out of Galveston last Feb-Mar and it was very rocky and windy going through the Gulf coming back. The top deck walking track was always windy early in morning and in evening (when we wanted to use it).

Definitely take a jacket and sweatpants for evenings up on decks, for the DiveIn movie and stuff, it gets chilly.

Thanks.

The more open water you are in - like say crossing from Grand Cayman to Cozumel, the more likely for slightly higher seas and more wind - closer to land is more shielded. The evening stars are lovely and it is very comfortable out on deck - but I do always have a sweatshirt/sweater handy. My hubby is more than find in his dockers and polo shirt.

We have never been cold on a cruise once truly in the Caribbean - getting there from say Charleston or Jax, however is another matter - and that was in January, when the whole east coast was under a cold snap and the high when we left Miami for Key West and Coz was 62! Coz was a high of 72 - with the water the same temp so it was definitely chilly when we came out from snorkeling. The evenings were in the mid 60's plus wind so glad we had those long sleeve and pant layers.

We are leaving out of Miami.

Seems like it may not be warm enough to lay out in a bathing suit.

Thanks.

What???

I have been on many cruises that have left out of FL and the only time we ever had weather that might qualify as "chilly" is when we left out of Port Canaveral. It was 70 degrees. While sailing on the Western itinerary out of Miami it will most likely be warm enough every day to lay out in swim wear. In fact, the opposite is more likely (very warm).

You may get a cooler evening breeze, but that is still not highly likely.

Put another way, the fluke would be cruising the Western Caribbean this time of year and having it be too cold to lay out in the sun.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by Kevin Hort

2 of our cruises were on February 27th. One was out of Port Canaveral in 2010 and the other out of Long Beach in 2011. Both of them were way too cool on the first day or so and the last day to spend time in pools or without a jacket on. Nassau was around 60 and very windy when we were there on our second day. Since then we have done the end of March to mid April and have had much nicer temps at the start/end.

I'm sure there have been many that had nice weather in February or earlier months, but that wasn't our experience and hubby says he's escaping Wisconsin winter so wants to spend his vacation being warm. :)

What???

I have been on many cruises that have left out of FL and the only time we ever had weather that might qualify as "chilly" is when we left out of Port Canaveral. It was 70 degrees.

Miami's weather is predicted to be a High of 73, and low of 55. Key West, FL has highs in the upper 60's, and Havana has highs of 71 on Friday. Not quite bathing suit weather. But, Havana and Cancun are predicting highs of 77 on Saturday (sea day) with winds from the North (off the gulf) so ...