Dressing for Dinner???

Lucky Granny

I read on another thread a reference to certain nationalities (US, I assume) not dressing properly for dinner on the Star. I will be on the Sea in May and am trying to figure out what to wear to dinner. I definitely am not one of the US "sweats and big white sneakers" gang. I have lots of clothes I would love to bring so I could dress up every night. But with a 50 lb. weight limit and the need for clothing to keep me warm and dry, I can't figure out what I have room to bring to "dress up" in. And we are doing to Iceland Pre-extention, so that requires even more warm stuff. I'm hoping adding a scarf and jewelry will be enough so my clothes can do double duty. Can anybody help with their experience on earlier cruises?

We were on the Star for 29 days.

Yes, there were those who were much underdressed than suggested - even some sweats, etc. in the dining rooms.....not a dress style we partook in....

That said, most were dressed in a more stepped up casual I guess you could call it. Kakis on men - slacks on women. But the majority were not 'dressy' in the Semi-formal sense, or the days gone by cruise sense.

Throw on a nice scarf or wrap - and don't over worry. Be comfortable. Leave your sweats and tennis shoes in your room, and you will fit right in.

Edited by Vineyard View

On many ships the dress code tends to be a bit more dress-up (i.e. collared shirts for men) in the dining room while the buffet tends to be less so (i.e. jeans O.K. here). Is the same true for Viking or is the dress code the same in both venues?

Most men are in slacks and collared shirt. Some are not. Very few ties and very few jackets in the main dining room. The World Cafe is more casual. Manfredi's is a bit more dressy. It is your vacation! Don't let others dictate.

Thank you all very much. No, I won't let others dictate what I wear, but the 50 limit will. I'm not even bringing sweats or tennis shoes, so I'll be ok. lol The worldwide recognition of Americans in their big white sneakers irritates me and I do not want to be perceived as contributing to that reputation. It is so unnecessary....all they have to do is buy black and it would all end. This is all meaningless, but I do thank you all for your help.

• 2 weeks later...

Personally I don't see what 'Americans in their big white sneakers' has to do with the lack of any travelers enjoyment. Have you visited Europe lately? You'll find many people wearing big white sneakers and they are not all American.

I'm sorry to vent but this attitude really gets to me. While I may not wear white sneakers, if I did why is it a big deal? I just do not understand why the way people dress should/would lessen someones travel enjoyment.

It's truly modern! From the FAQ on the website.

"...there are no “formal nights,” the recommended dress is elegant casual for most restaurants..."

"...attire for ladies includes a dress, or a sweater or blouse worn with a skirt or slacks; for gentlemen, trousers and a collared shirt."

Of course, one can always dress more formally.