Really Annoyed with NCL

MsTabbyKats

Really hope you're feeling better soon.

Kudos for keeping a stiff upper lip in this thread--words can't express how tough radiation is.

Thanks. I had exactly one week between ending radiation and getting this stupid flu.

I'm 66 and never had it before; never had a flu shot

DH gets an annual shot and an annual flu.

Well...anyway....I plan on doing the BA to Bermuda sometime in the spring. The phlegm should be gone by then. :)

MsTabbycats, 1st off, congratulations on completing treatments for breast cancer. I'm a 2 year survivor as of this week. I so understand the compromised immune system.

Glad you are feeling better from the Flu, hope your husband improves soon.

Now, something that the Hotel Director on the Pearl told me Last April/May while I was onboard for 21 days through the Panama Canal is something I've never seen mentioned on these boards. We had a bad Noro outbreak prior to and including our cruise. I also had organized the M&G, so got to talk with him extensively over the 3 weeks on board.

He said if people would be honest on the health questionaire, NCL would take care of them. He said if you answer yes to something, the Ship Dr comes and assess you. Depending on the assessment, options are given. He indicated boarding and being quarantined for "x" number of days. Possibly and assessment that merits no problem. (ate too much fast food the night before and had diarrhea). Or he even stated if the Doctor decides you can not board, then NCL will work with you on rebooking the cruise or possibly putting you up in a hotel for "x" number of days and then getting you caught up to the ship. There was not any discussion on insurance, but he made it seem that if people were honest on the questionnaire, then NCL would work with the passengers. Now, I'm probably very naive in thinking if the passenger had no insurance that NCL would help in any way, but that was what was indicated. No personal experience, just the jist of our conversation

Edited by djmess

Oh my. I have a groupie!

I missed a cruise about 5 years ago because there was a hurricane blocking NY in all directions. The ship (it was to Canada) had to go thru it to go north, south or straight into the ocean. It was a 4 day trip and I decided the morning of that trip to just not go (just no shows). We waited until the last hour to decide, since we live about 10 minutes to the port. Remember RCI Anthem...that one wasn't as predicted either and you see what happened. I prefer to err on the side of caution.

Since you want to know why I canceled so many days ahead instead of waiting until Sunday this time......it's not just how I feel. I finished radiation therapy for breast cancer 2 weeks ago and my immune system is compromised. Even if I felt great and was past the point of being contagious (which I'm not) I am at risk for pneumonia and was told by the physician that I should stay home.

And....even more important: When I go on a cruise I like to feel good. They'll always be another one.......

No not a groupie.....but I have an incredible photographic memory and I love reading everything cc has to offer...so I rarely forget any post I ve ever read here

Fwiw ....ncl loves you right now.....they more than likely resold your cabin in addition to keeping your payment...

You should book your next cruise with them verbally versus online....and remind them of that and you might get a free upgrade. Lol

I think I see what happened here... You finished chemo and wanted to celebrate and booked asap....which is more than understandable ....but you do have concerns about stuff...health and weather being the 2 that come to mind....next time you wAnt to cruise and since it sounds like neither you nor dh are encumbered by jobs or kids....

Just wait u ntil the last minute and grab a deal....if no deals or it's totally booked...just book another time when there are last minute deals

Other than your health restrictions you and dh are in an enviable travel situation...live in NYC...retried I assume and financially secure....so just use that to your advantage next time

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Edited by Crusin6

... Keep in mind, I am not complaining about losing the money. I really just thought it was weird that the FCC did not go back into inventory because it's really not being used. .......

But you did use it! You used it as the deposit on your cruise. And since you're cancelling this close to cruise date, you lose your deposit.

I don't understand why you think you should get your 'deposit' back when you're within the time frame of losing the deposit.

Edited by NMLady

I have to say though that I find it odd that there is any type of free credit card insurance that will cover.....

A pax with a pre existing condition...that probably compromised her system making her susceptible to flu

And said pax books a cruise a few weeks before the cruise and pays in full and then cancels the cruise a few days before the cruise ....and the insurance will actually cover this? The cruise line gets paid 2x for the cabin as they will resell it...or give it away...and still pull in $$$$

Cancel for any reason notwithstanding......just think it through....it odd and unusual.....and might raise some red flags or maybe not.....

Edited by Crusin6

I have to say though that I find it odd that there is any type of free credit card insurance that will cover.....

A pax with a pre existing condition...that probably compromised her system making her susceptible to flu

And said pax books a cruise a few weeks before the cruise and pays in full and then cancels the cruise a few days before the cruise ....and the insurance will actually cover this? The cruise line gets paid 2x for the cabin as they will resell it...or give it away...and still pull in $$$$

Cancel for any reason notwithstanding......just think it through....it odd and unusual.....and might raise some red flags or maybe not.....

Don't overthink this.

It's travel insurance....limited to $1500/yr per person....not life insurance.

Has a credit card ever required you to get a physical?

FYI....it's the Citi Double Cash Back card.

Don't overthink this.

[emoji905]

Edited by luvtheships

I had reservations for the Breakaway, this Sunday, 2/28. Well, I got the flu.

My credit card has cancel for any reason...so I had to officially cancel. I also had to pay $100 penalty.

When I booked, I used a FCC of $250. I assumed that it would be available to book in the future. Nope....it's gone.

Sorry you got sick and had to cancel. Lucky for the other passengers that you are considerate.

Check with NCL about the FCC - I think you will still be able to use it. We had a similar situation and we did not lose the FCC.

If you had 4 days before your cruise and you went to the doctor, confirmed flu diagnosis and started Tamiflu, you would have been feeling so much better and would have been considered to be not contagious. I'm not sure what I would have done in the same situation. I hope you feel better and can rebook soon.

I didn't realize that they would not credit FCC's back to your account. I had to cancel a trip that I used FCC's on and they showed back up on my NCL account in a couple of days. Of course, I did cancel just prior to final due date. Hopefully your trip insurance pays off quickly.

OP, I'm so sorry you're having to deal with this and missing your vacation. I hope you feel better soon and I get where you're coming from on the FCC.

I want to know what credit card you're using with the cancel for any reason perk though! (Can't believe nobody else has asked that question!)

Me too! I want that card. Do you mean this credit card refunds everything spent on a cruise rather than buying travel insurance? :cool:

(Sorry you had to miss your long awaited cruise.)

Check with NCL about the FCC - I think you will still be able to use it. We had a similar situation and we did not lose the FCC.

How similar was your situation? The fact that you did not lose your FCC suggests that it was in fact different from the OP's situation in some crucial way.

When I put in the claim it will show the fees being refunded by NCL. So, it won't be the entire 2/14 payment. I had wifi and excursion as promos...so no fees involved.

Believe me...there won't be double dipping.

My one and only issue was:

If you cancel the cruise you are not using the FCC...so it should go back into inventory. That's my logic. .....

If you cancel the cruise before the 'lose deposit' timing then the FCC does go back into your inventory. But since it's a deposit and you cancelled so close to cruise that you lost your deposit then you lost FCC since it was the deposit.

Don't overthink this.

I'm not overthinking this

I'm just amused at the fact that you booked last minute Paid in full. Then several days before the cruise you cancelled when you could have just canceled last minute or been a no show as you had cancel for any reason

By doing what you did you accomplished nothing but allowing ncl a very long window of time to be able to resell your cabin

So the real winner was ncl because of your considerate cancellation timing

Smh at why you cancelled so early when you had no worries due to the insurance anyway

I'm not overthinking this

I'm just amused at the fact that you booked last minute Paid in full. Then several days before the cruise you cancelled when you could have just canceled last minute or been a no show as you had cancel for any reason

By doing what you did you accomplished nothing but allowing ncl a very long window of time to be able to resell your cabin

So the real winner was ncl because of your considerate cancellation timing

Smh at why you cancelled so early when you had no worries due to the insurance anyway

You need either a doctor's statement or "travel to the port was impossible" to cancel. It's cancel for any reason, but you need a valid reason, not just change of mind. I went to the doctor 2 times....I canceled after the second visit, when my temp went up to 103. And he expressed concern for my flu turning into pneumonia.

NCL making money wasn't even in my thoughts. Neither was not spreading my germs. My comfort and health were the only considerations. I wouldn't have gone even if I didn't have insurance. The money was spent....there's no point in compounding a problem.

I only started this thread because I was surprised about the FCC.

That credit card is available to anyone who qualifies.

I hope this answers all questions.

It's cancel for any reason, but you need a valid reason, not just change of mind.

Most trip insurance with "cancel for any reason" *does* include "changed mind" or any other reason. However, they typically don't give back 100% of the trip value if the reason isn't an officially covered reason.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You need either a doctor's statement or "travel to the port was impossible" to cancel. It's cancel for any reason, but you need a valid reason, not just change of mind. I went to the doctor 2 times....I canceled after the second visit, when my temp went up to 103. And he expressed concern for my flu turning into pneumonia.

NCL making money wasn't even in my thoughts. Neither was not spreading my germs. My comfort and health were the only considerations. I wouldn't have gone even if I didn't have insurance. The money was spent....there's no point in compounding a problem.

I only started this thread because I was surprised about the FCC.

That credit card is available to anyone who qualifies.

I hope this answers all questions.

However if you had waited until Sunday or been a no show then ncl wouldn't have been able to resell the cabin

Your credit card insurance should be upset with this

The insurance should require any cancellation to be within 24 pre cruise or just be a no show

Since they are presumably paying you back anyway why should they allow a 3 rd party to double dip?

From a business standpoint that insurer is not making good moves....plain and simple

Edited by Crusin6

However if you had waited until Sunday or been a no show then ncl wouldn't have been able to resell the cabin

Your credit card insurance should be upset with this

The insurance should require any cancellation to be within 24 pre cruise or just be a no show

Since they are presumably paying you back anyway why should they allow a 3 rd party to double dip?

From a business standpoint that insurer is not making good moves....plain and simple

Ok so cancel for any "valid" reason

Not sure what that means in comparison to cancel for "any" reason

There might be no comparison or there might be a world of difference but whatever

I'm concerned that your insurance might say what was valid on Tuesday was not valid on Sunday.

Chances are you were over the flu by Sunday ( your dh situation notwithstanding) and your doctors concern about pneumonia may no longer have been an issue and you were healthy enough to travel regardless of whether you wanted to or not

I have no clue how you felt yesterday but I do hope you are doing well.....

And the reason I'm saying you should have waited until the last minute to cancel was that you may have been well enough to travel.....and if your insurance wants to stick it to you they could say that you just changed your mind

I presume they are just crediting back your card? Have they done so already?

They can debit you just as easily as they can credit you so that too is a concern

I'm posting my theory more for others who might jump the gun and cancel too early only to find out that the insurance expected or required you to wait until the last minute to cancel.....as you may be healthy by then

It's always worth checking this stuff out before cancelling and waiting until the last minute is no big deal

I think the insurance company would prefer you wait anyway....for the reason I state....so the cruise ship....airline....hotel etc can't double dip and resell the space

Edited by Crusin6

Btw I know I quoted myself above. Lol just wanted to add to my post

Also you said you don't care that ncl might be able to resell the cabin.....well you aren't really supposed to care are you?

However the insurance company can will and should care

And that is why everything I've ever read about trip insurance suggests that the insured should wait until the last minute to cancel.....why?

Because the insurer may well surmise that if you cancel too early ....in certain situations like the flu for example....that the reality is that by the time you cruise you would be perfectly healthy to do so.....

Situations like open heart surgery of course are different

Either way....that is why cancellation should occur at last minute or preferably be a no show for insurance purposes.

Also you said you don't care that ncl might be able to resell the cabin.....well you aren't really supposed to care are you?

However the insurance company can will and should care

Insurance companies do try to recover their money in some situations (for example, in cases of theft, if the stolen items are recovered, they belong to the insurance company, since they paid for them). But in this case, the OP and NCL agreed to a cancellation policy and it was applied exactly as agreed. NCL did not cause the losses, so they owe nothing, either to the OP or to the insurance.

Whether they were able to sell the OP's cabin to somebody else within the "very long window of time" that the OP gave them (4 days before sailing in the dead season :rolleyes:) is irrelevant.

With CFAR insurance, it is totally up to you to decide when to cancel. Most people will want to cancel as soon as they know for sure that they can't make it, so they can file the claim and start the process of getting their money back as quickly as possible. But if you want to wait until the very last moment to ensure that the cruise line can't double dip, that is your (IMO uselessly vindictive) choice. Telling people to no-show is terrible advice: with many policies you can't file a claim at all if you can't produce proof of cancellation from the cruise line. Otherwise you could go on the cruise and then tell your insurance you didn't, how would they know?

Ok so cancel for any "valid" reason

Not sure what that means in comparison to cancel for "any" reason

There might be no comparison or there might be a world of difference but whatever

I'm concerned that your insurance might say what was valid on Tuesday was not valid on Sunday.

Chances are you were over the flu by Sunday ( your dh situation notwithstanding) and your doctors concern about pneumonia may no longer have been an issue and you were healthy enough to travel regardless of whether you wanted to or not

I have no clue how you felt yesterday but I do hope you are doing well.....

And the reason I'm saying you should have waited until the last minute to cancel was that you may have been well enough to travel.....and if your insurance wants to stick it to you they could say that you just changed your mind

I presume they are just crediting back your card? Have they done so already?

They can debit you just as easily as they can credit you so that too is a concern

I'm posting my theory more for others who might jump the gun and cancel too early only to find out that the insurance expected or required you to wait until the last minute to cancel.....as you may be healthy by then

It's always worth checking this stuff out before cancelling and waiting until the last minute is no big deal

I think the insurance company would prefer you wait anyway....for the reason I state....so the cruise ship....airline....hotel etc can't double dip and resell the space

Are you sure you aren't a groupie?

If I were 26, not 66, I may have felt well enough to travel. However, I have a chest full of phlegm. Bronchitis was another part of the dx.

I had to file an insurance claim with an insurance company. It's not a credit on my credit card. When approved...the money will come as a paper check.

I had to officially cancel...not just be a no-show. And I needed a letter from the TA stating all charges and reimbursements. I verified this with the insurance company before I canceled...and the rep told me to cancel asap...not to wait.

Again...I hope this answers all your questions.

Wow. OP sure is catching a lot of grief over her expression of frustration. Why would her decision to cancel be anyone else's business ? Some of y'all think she should have been a no show. Why? Is it a vicarious pleasure, sticking it to the cruise line?

After our last cruise, I did a quick search on CFAR insurance. What I repeatedly found is that you must cancel at least 48 hours before embarkation, and it's possible the insurance provider contracted by the credit card company has such a rule. I have no idea why it's 48 hours, but there must be a reason, and a more exhaustive search could include other options.

Btw February is not a dead season for cruises from NYC

The regularly sail full and barring extremely unusual weather they are in warm weather by noon on the first sea day

Btw it was 60 degrees Sunday in NYC

The cabin as resold or at worst given as a perk. They make money either way

Btw February is not a dead season for cruises from NYC

The regularly sail full and barring extremely unusual weather they are in warm weather by noon on the first sea day

Btw it was 60 degrees Sunday in NYC

The cabin as resold or at worst given as a perk. They make money either way

I don't understand what the big deal is. As long as the OP is made whole by her refund, why would anyone care what happens to the cabin after she cancels. If the cruise line resells it or gives it as a perk, good for them, that is what all businesses would do.

I don't understand what the big deal is. As long as the OP is made whole by her refund, why would anyone care what happens to the cabin after she cancels. If the cruise line resells it or gives it as a perk, good for them, that is what all businesses would do.

Those are my thoughts, too. Do what you need to do and let the cruise line do whatever they want to do. I find it so odd that anyone would really be concerned with what any cruise line does with a cabin that is cancelled...if they can resell it, fine. If not, fine.