Changes at Bennett for train passengers

rvorcruise

There's going to be a big change for train passengers from Skagway to Carcross this year. Lunch used to be an excellent sit-down meal of stew and other goodies at tables in the train station. This year, the two eating rooms are going to be a museum and a film viewing room, and passengers will get a box lunch to eat on the train. The cars used for the Carcross run are having fold-down tables added to them to make that easier. The stop at Bennett is also being reduced to 45 minutes as part of these changes. The railroad's Web site notes the box lunch, but supplier sites may not have made the changes yet.

Sorry to hear about the changes, it is a nice stop and the stew was actually quite good. A few years ago I did this tour with Chilkoot and when we left Lake Bennett on the train headed for Carcross a lady boarded that had not gotten on with us in Skagway. Talked to her and found out she was in charge of the Lake Bennett station. When I made the comment that I liked the stew she laughed and told the story about how it took her months to perfect the recipe until everyone loved it . lol

We have done the Lake Bennett tour twice as part of HAL Yukon cruise tours between Whitehorse and Skagway. It was wonderful to arrive by train and eat the sit down hot lunch at the long tables in the train station, then walk up the hill for a look at the church, the end of the Chilkoot Trail, and down at the Lake Bennett staging area used for the boats going down river headed for Whitehorse and Dawson City. The train then continuing on to Skagway to meet our ship.

Recently I read the book by Laura Beatrice Berton, "I Married the Klondike" about her life in Dawson City as a kindergarten teacher beginning around 1907. She tells of her life, eventual marriage, and giving birth and raising two children in the Yukon territory. She tells of travels around the area and the roadhouses she would stay at. One of her stories tells of stopping at Lake Bennett and eating stew at long tables. I thought "I've been there"!

I'm so sorry that they are making these changes. Lake Bennett is a magical place to visit if you have studied the Klondike gold rush. I have been hoping that HAL would bring back this very special segment of the Yukon experience. Oh, well. Things change.

Recently I read the book by Laura Beatrice Berton, "I Married the Klondike" about her life in Dawson City as a kindergarten teacher beginning around 1907. She tells of her life, eventual marriage, and giving birth and raising two children in the Yukon territory. She tells of travels around the area and the roadhouses she would stay at. One of her stories tells of stopping at Lake Bennett and eating stew at long tables. I thought "I've been there"!

I'm reading her book at the moment --her descriptions are wonderful. At least we will get to wander around and use our imaginations.

We have done the Lake Bennett tour twice as part of HAL Yukon cruise tours between Whitehorse and Skagway.

... I have been hoping that HAL would bring back this very special segment of the Yukon experience. Oh, well. Things change.

I think HAL will be leaving the Yukon entirely very soon. They've sold all but one of their hotels now (and the remaining one will be a VERY tough one to sell), the Yukon-Eagle boat is gone, there are no more buses going across the Top of the World Highway...

I think HAL will be leaving the Yukon entirely very soon. They've sold all but one of their hotels now (and the remaining one will be a VERY tough one to sell), the Yukon-Eagle boat is gone, there are no more buses going across the Top of the World Highway...

I hope they don't leave the Yukon. HAL still has their hotels in Dawson City and Whitehorse. Since they sold the Tok Westmark (which I gave the "spirit" award to) they fly from Fairbanks to Dawson City which saves an overnight and a long (but worthwhile bus ride)...no more Chicken or Eagle. The Yukon Queen decision seems to have been an environmental decision as the environmentalists thought it was detrimental to the river....the Klondike Spirit is substituted and if you had not done the Yukon Queen from Eagle to Dawson City you would not know what you are missing. Dawson City is a wonderful little town but without the tourists that HAL brings it would probably shrink as it did when the gold rush ended.

We have seen a herd of caribou passing through near the Top of the World highway and this year while on the Klondike Spirit saw a moose swimming across the river near the confluence of the Yukon and Klondike rivers. These trips have very special memories...and Lake Bennett should be included in the journey!

I hope they don't leave the Yukon. HAL still has their hotels in Dawson City and Whitehorse.

Both hotels in Whitehorse have been sold - the last one a month or so ago. Only Dawson is left, and it's basically a massive, ugly, white elephant.

Both hotels in Whitehorse have been sold - the last one a month or so ago. Only Dawson is left, and it's basically a massive, ugly, white elephant.

I agree that the hotel in Whitehorse was not that great and the Klondike Inn (or whatever it was called) was worse but I like the hotel in Dawson City and it hasn't been but a few years since they refurbished the rooms...and it's huge.

I've been watching for the 2017 Yukon tours to be posted hoping to see something new and expanded. Lots of people enjoy those Yukon cruise tours. Thanks for your information. I'd love to know your source so I can keep up-to-date on all things Yukon.

I agree that the hotel in Whitehorse was not that great and the Klondike Inn (or whatever it was called) was worse but I like the hotel in Dawson City and it hasn't been but a few years since they refurbished the rooms...and it's huge.

I've been watching for the 2017 Yukon tours to be posted hoping to see something new and expanded. Lots of people enjoy those Yukon cruise tours. Thanks for your information. I'd love to know your source so I can keep up-to-date on all things Yukon.

It's the "huge" that makes locals hate the Westmark Dawson, and what makes it a white elephant that will be tough to sell. The only time that a large number of rooms isn't available is Music Festival weekend.

HAL's numbers have been sliding on the Yukon-Alaska cruise tours for several years. One of those circular things - the fewer people who go, the more HAL cuts back on them, and the more HAL cuts back on them, the fewer people go.

I live in the Yukon, and although retired, still keep a close eye on tourism, mostly through personal observation and contacts.

Although we decided not to use HAL to tour the Yukon, due to a number of reasons, we were very impressed with the land options available. It would be a shame if the number of tours was reduced as there are not many tours available that travel through Alaska and the Yukon. I even enquired if we could do the land tour only, but you have to do the cruise too. We had decided to cruise with Un Cruise and enjoy all they have on offer.

Yet another blow to Yukon/Alaska tourism by HAL. First the Yukon Queen and the visit to Eagle, next the train to Carcross is replaced by the train to Fraser, followed by the closing of Rika's Roadhouse and abandonment of the Top of the World Highway and Chicken. Every year another piece of a once wonderful trip gets eroded. Merging HAL and Princess in AK/Yukon was a business decision. On our last trip to AK, the Lake Bennett Adventure wasn't even offered. The WP and Y RR is just reacting to the reduced passenger load with the box lunches.

So the box (lunch) score is Princess 1 - HAL (and the Yukon) 0.

Unfortunately, it is a vicious circle, several of these negative changes have/are happening. HAL, has made several, their 14 round trip Seattle, is lacking compared to the first itinerary. Their one way cruises, only one glacier sailing- used to have 2.

Princess gave up their Prudhoe Bay itinerary (it was always superior to go independent, anyway), but, when I used to see some of those people getting off the buses, especially ones complaining about the "shopping" at Coldfoot, I knew this tour, had too many people on it, that were grossly unprepared.

Tourism is a business.

rvorcruise- I believe you may have a "link" to the Watson store?