Copy of passport photo page

cheeseclan

Hello,

I just got an email from Princess about our upcoming May Baltic cruise. It says that we need to bring a copy of our passport photo page so that we can hand if over to Russia immigration.

Has anyone had to do this or is it something new?

Thanks!

It's nothing new. It's been a requirement for many years.

We were not required to do this. Legend of the Seas, May 2013. But maybe it is a requirement of Princess if you are on one of their own tours.

Anni

Edited by Travelanni

When we traveled, it was requested of us, so we did it before we left. We sailed NCL, and before boarding, they made another copy for all passengers.

I know, when we toured St Petersburg, we had that copy AND we wanted to have our original passports, with us. That was just our preference and not mandated. We always want to have them with us when we are in foreign ports.

I do not remember if Russian immigration kept the photo copy?

Cheers

Len

We were also instructed to bring a copy of our passport photo page, but didn't need it. Entering SPB, we needed our passports and tour tickets, iirc that was it. But if they say to bring it, I would, just to be on the safe side. If nothing else, in case you misplace your passport, it would be helpful to have a copy of that page.

Hello,

I just got an email from Princess about our upcoming May Baltic cruise. It says that we need to bring a copy of our passport photo page so that we can hand if over to Russia immigration.

Has anyone had to do this or is it something new?

Thanks!

Last summer, when my husband and I checked in for our Oceania cruise, we surrendered our passports to the ship's officials. They kept our passports for about 24 hours, long enough to make photocopies of the photo page. Then, the originals and the copies were returned to us with the instructions to bring both of these items when going through passport control for the first time in Russia. The St Petersburg passport officials looked at the original, looked at the tour ticket, made lots of stamping sounds, and returned the documents to us. They never asked for the copies.

Although the question of passport copies here deals with port immigration, many travel pros recommend having a copy of one's passport on hand while traveling at all times! It should be kept separate and away from one's passport on the off chance that one's passport might be lost or stolen, obtaining a replacement is easier and faster when one has a clear copy to present to the embassy/consular representative processing the replacement request.

I have always brought copies with me when I traveled internationally, luckily they've not ever been needed as I hope they won't ever be for anyone using these boards. Always thought it better to be prepared than caught off guard and in a rough situation somewhere. Even today with technology being what it is, bureaucracy combined with security can be oh so dreadful.

:)

Although the question of passport copies here deals with port immigration, many travel pros recommend having a copy of one's passport on hand while traveling at all times! It should be kept separate and away from one's passport on the off chance that one's passport might be lost or stolen, obtaining a replacement is easier and faster when one has a clear copy to present to the embassy/consular representative processing the replacement request.

Copies of passports are useful for situations much less dire than lost or stolen passports. If a traveler spends enough in a single store to qualify for a VAT refund, the store is required to fill out paperwork to process that refund. The passport number of the purchaser is one of the required pieces of information on the form. In my experience, I've never encountered a store that refused to accept a copy of my passport to complete the form. That's important for the large percentage of us who try to avoid carrying our passports when out and about for the day.

Here's a link to a list countries all over the world with VAT tax.(It's got a treasury.gov URL but there's no logo on the pages of the list.) The list includes plenty of countries typical in a Northern Europe and Baltic itinerary.

http://www.treasury.gov.my/pdf/gst/list_of_countries.pdf

Edited by Pet Nit Noy

I have made photos and PDFs and keep copies on our phones and iPads

Excellent travel tip, thanks for sharing! Smart phone & tablet .pdf passport copies are something everyone should consider keeping with them while traveling abroad. :)

Copies of passports are useful for situations much less dire than lost or stolen passports. If a traveler spends enough in a single store to qualify for a VAT refund, the store is required to fill out paperwork to process that refund. The passport number of the purchaser is one of the required pieces of information on the form. In my experience, I've never encountered a store that refused to accept a copy of my passport to complete the form. That's important for the large percentage of us who try to avoid carrying our passports when out and about for the day.

Here's a link to a list countries all over the world with VAT tax.(It's got a treasury.gov URL but there's no logo on the pages of the list.) The list includes plenty of countries typical in a Northern Europe and Baltic itinerary.

http://www.treasury.gov.my/pdf/gst/list_of_countries.pdf

Indeed Pet Nit Noy - thank for highlighting another practical purpose for having a copy, digital or hard, of one's passport available while traveling overseas as the original is tucked away safe. Many situations can arise which prove it's beneficial to have duplicate proof on hand, definitely something for everyone to think about and plan for their next voyage. :)

Edited by Host Bonjour