internet question/cell phones

Ok, so I am not very tek savy. If you buy the internet package and plan on using your phone for the internet, how do you keep from getting calls? Wouldn't they have big roaming charges, if someone called you?

How about texting, would there be extra phone charges getting and sending them?

Ok, so I am not very tek savy. If you buy the internet package and plan on using your phone for the internet, how do you keep from getting calls? Wouldn't they have big roaming charges, if someone called you?

How about texting, would there be extra phone charges getting and sending them?

Put your phone into Airplane Mode, and then turn on WiFi. This way you won't get any calls or be charged for data. Note that you would need to purchase the ship's internet.

Limit yourself to internet based texting, like iMessage or WhatsApp.

Oh great, this is just what I need to know.

I do have 'what's app' downloaded on my phone. So I could use that with the ship's internet and not incur any other charges?

Putting my phone on airplane mode will stop all calls and texts, but still allow me to use the ship's internet, correct?

Thanks for your quick help in this matter and other questions I have asked. You are a great help on these boards, bless you.

Oh great, this is just what I need to know.

I do have 'what's app' downloaded on my phone. So I could use that with the ship's internet and not incur any other charges? Yes

Putting my phone on airplane mode will stop all calls and texts, but still allow me to use the ship's internet, correct? Yes

Thanks for your quick help in this matter and other questions I have asked. You are a great help on these boards, bless you.

See answers in RED above.

Just remember that it's typical that when you put the phone in Airplane mode, it also turns off WiFi. So you will have to remember to turn WiFi back on in order to use the ship's internet.

Well.... Interesting... I have wanted to know this exact thing in the past..... But never got a simple answer as above....

So, I put my iphone in Airplane Mode. Yes, it turned off my wifi. So I turned wifi back on..... Then called my number from my work phone. The call went immediately to voice mail. Ok! Good!

So then I asked my cube mate to text me.... She did, I recieved the text! So, I turned off my wifi & asked her to send another text.... It did not go thru (til I turned wifi back on & it came).

So, my trial & error did not work like y'all said....

Apparently I can receive texts via wifi without any extra app.... ???

I have an iphone 6plus. Maybe it allows texts over wifi without doing anything extra?

Also, you can call your carrier & buy a months worth of international data for calls & texts....

But I tend to think I will just turn my phone OFF (as usual) and place it in the safe til I go ashore & find FREE wifi to check in back home.

Too confusing.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Edited by SRV FAN

Well.... Interesting... I have wanted to know this exact thing in the past..... But never got a simple answer as above....

So, I put my iphone in Airplane Mode. Yes, it turned off my wifi. So I turned wifi back on..... Then called my number from my work phone. The call went immediately to voice mail. Ok! Good!

So then I asked my cube mate to text me.... She did, I recieved the text! So, I turned off my wifi & asked her to send another text.... It did not go thru (til I turned wifi back on & it came).

So, my trial & error did not work like y'all said....

Apparently I can receive texts via wifi without any extra app.... ???

I have an iphone 6plus. Maybe it allows texts over wifi without doing anything extra?

Also, you can call your carrier & buy a months worth of international data for calls & texts....

But I tend to think I will just turn my phone OFF (as usual) and place it in the safe til I go ashore & find FREE wifi to check in back home.

Too confusing.

Your phone includes iMessage capability, and that must have been what your cube mate used to text you. However, non-Apple phones don't have iMessage, so if you need to text non-Apple phones, you will need an app that supports both platforms.

Your phone includes iMessage capability, and that must have been what your cube mate used to text you. However, non-Apple phones don't have iMessage, so if you need to text non-Apple phones, you will need an app that supports both platforms.

Ahhhh! Ok! Thanks!!! I am soooo not tech savvy!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app