AMS airport to passenger terminal question

elizamar

Hello everyone. I posted this question on the Newbie Q/A stickie and I was suggested post here. I hope some of you with experience embarking in Amsterdam can help as I am hopefully finalizing our booking today.

We are booking HAL for first time, cruise to/from Amsterdam. We are from Denmark so will arrive and depart the same dates as its only 1.5 hours flight to AMS. How long does it take to get from AMS to Passenger Terminal Amsterdam? Is it best to book transport from airport via HAL (what is that -- shuttle?) or take a taxi? Thanks for your help!

1. there are many trains airport to Centraal station, traveltime 20 minutes. From there either walk 15 minutes (take the northern exit) or take tramnr. 26 direction IJburg (centraal exit), for 2 stops .
  2. Cab will cost around E. 50, traveltime depending traffic 30 minutes.

Maybe something to ad as a way of caution, although trains in Holland are reasonable convenient and an affordable way to get you from A to B, they are not luggage friendly.

Although trains to and from Amsterdam Schiphol Airport are used by travelers with luggage, somehow they forgot to design trains to have an option to stow your luggage.

Especially the double decker trains are difficult to stow your luggage, often ending up staying in the entrance by the door, which is the only place you can go with large suitcases. It is doable, but you might have to be creative.

Shuttle by HAL is done by luxury busses from “MetenCo”, which are also used to transport aircrew to and from the airport, but they come at a price.

Other than taking the train what's the best way for me to get to Rotterdam?

By train and subway (one transfer in Rotterdam Central station), it would be around 1 hour and 10 minutes, costing you around Euro 13,50 per person.

On the web you can find private transfers (http://tours.amsterdamcitytours.com/details/24751/airport-transfer-to-cruise-terminal-rotterdam) , which would be around Euro 200,- per vehicle. I have not done indepth research, but you may find cheaper ones.

i do not know what the HAL transfer would be, but it might be cheaper.

Other than taking the train what's the best way for me to get to Rotterdam?

"Best" can mean different things to different people. For me, it would probably be a HAL transfer.

I love having someone looking for me when I come to the luggage area, taking it off my hands, and generally taking care of me---then transporting me to wherever I need to go. No thinking required. ;)

"Best" can mean different things to different people. For me, it would probably be a HAL transfer.

I love having someone looking for me when I come to the luggage area, taking it off my hands, and generally taking care of me---then transporting me to wherever I need to go. No thinking required. ;)

Thanks Ruth. Unfortunately HAL will not sell me a transfer if I'm not booked into one of their chosen hotels in Rotterdam. I've been on their hotel waiting list for a couple of months but haven't heard a word yet from my TA. I also love having a HAL rep waiting outside the luggage area..... Keeping my fingers crossed that I get a room + transfer.

Thanks Ruth. Unfortunately HAL will not sell me a transfer if I'm not booked into one of their chosen hotels in Rotterdam. I've been on their hotel waiting list for a couple of months but haven't heard a word yet from my TA. I also love having a HAL rep waiting outside the luggage area..... Keeping my fingers crossed that I get a room + transfer.

We will be leaving from Rotterdam in June 2016. I had no trouble booking the transfer without booking an HAL hotel. I am not using a TA so I booked it myself online. I did have to call HAL reservations to change the booking from Amsterdam city -> Rotterdam to Amsterdam airport -> Rotterdam. This was no problem at all with the reservations department. I did this this week.

We will be arriving the day before sailing so I booked an airport hotel for that night as we will be exhausted due to overnight flights and will need to sleep the afternoon away instead of sightseeing. Then in the morning we can easily return to the arrivals area to get the HAL shuttle to Rotterdam.

You may be having trouble booking if you are arriving several days early. The way I understand it is that HAL transfers are available on day of sailing only but I could be wrong about that.

Considering the prices of the HAL hotels it is probably less expensive for you to taxi or limo to Rotterdam and stay in a hotel that you or your TA book at a more reasonable rate.

We will be leaving from Rotterdam in June 2016. I had no trouble booking the transfer without booking an HAL hotel. I am not using a TA so I booked it myself online. I did have to call HAL reservations to change the booking from Amsterdam city -> Rotterdam to Amsterdam airport -> Rotterdam. This was no problem at all with the reservations department. I did this this week.

We will be arriving the day before sailing so I booked an airport hotel for that night as we will be exhausted due to overnight flights and will need to sleep the afternoon away instead of sightseeing. Then in the morning we can easily return to the arrivals area to get the HAL shuttle to Rotterdam.

You may be having trouble booking if you are arriving several days early. The way I understand it is that HAL transfers are available on day of sailing only but I could be wrong about that.

Considering the prices of the HAL hotels it is probably less expensive for you to taxi or limo to Rotterdam and stay in a hotel that you or your TA book at a more reasonable rate.

Thank you for your input. I'm arrived two days before sailing and my name is also on HAL's waitlist for two nights hotel in Rotterdam. The price for HALs transfers and two nights hotel was actually quite good. From what I've read on-line, taxi or similar from Amsterdam airport to Rotterdam is about $250 CDN!!! I don't want to go by train with 2 pieces of luggage and a purse (I'm not that fit:)). I'm going to e-mail and call HAL again today.

In case it doesn't work out with the HAL transfer, pre book your taxi. Fixed rates are available for 110-120 Euros. That's a lot less than cnd$ 250

Look at Schiphol.nl or use the link I posted earlier to make online reservations.

Edited by HarR

In case it doesn't work out with the HAL transfer, pre book your taxi. Fixed rates are available for 110-120 Euros. That's a lot less than cnd$ 250

Look at Schiphol.nl or use the link I posted earlier to make online reservations.

Thanks for the tip HarR:)

Hi everyone. I too am sailing from Rotterdam in May. I have booked the HAL hotel and transfers. I found the cost of the transfer from airport to hotel in Amsterdam, 2 x nights hotel and then hotel to Rotterdam on sailing day to be very competitive. The total cost was around the price I would have paid to book just the hotel alone. That is comparing the same hotel - I could have found a cheaper one of course. Then at the end of the cruise/s, because my Roll Calls have been extremely quiet, I didn't want to risk not being able to find others to share a private transfer, so I booked HAL's transfer from Rotterdam to airport as well. Sometimes it's worth it just for peace of mind. I am a solo traveller, and there is no way I could even contemplate coping with luggage on public transport! :eek:

Just a question for those of you who have used HAL transfers before. Do they monitor flights so that if your flight is very late they are still there waiting for you?

Regards

Jan

Just a question for those of you who have used HAL transfers before. Do they monitor flights so that if your flight is very late they are still there waiting for you?

I don't recall ever having a flight that was so late that meeting the HAL rep was a concern. But, perhaps what I have noticed when I arrive will be helpful.

There are usually several HAL reps in the luggage claim area, all with HAL clipboards. They are waiting for lots of people on several flights, and will be there a long time.

They know when a given flight has arrived, and have a list of people they are waiting for from that flight. You check in with one, they check you off, and give instructions for what to do next.

Keep your eyes on them. Be prepared to wait a while as they find others, then be prepared to get up to go when they say.

If your flight is late, they will know, and they will put you on a different bus.

You may not know exactly what they are doing, but they do. They do this all day on many days and have lots more practice than you do.

I don't recall ever having a flight that was so late that meeting the HAL rep was a concern. But, perhaps what I have noticed when I arrive will be helpful.

There are usually several HAL reps in the luggage claim area, all with HAL clipboards. They are waiting for lots of people on several flights, and will be there a long time.

They know when a given flight has arrived, and have a list of people they are waiting for from that flight. You check in with one, they check you off, and give instructions for what to do next.

Keep your eyes on them. Be prepared to wait a while as they find others, then be prepared to get up to go when they say.

If your flight is late, they will know, and they will put you on a different bus.

You may not know exactly what they are doing, but they do. They do this all day on many days and have lots more practice than you do.

Thanks Ruth! :)

Thank you for your input. I'm arrived two days before sailing and my name is also on HAL's waitlist for two nights hotel in Rotterdam. The price for HALs transfers and two nights hotel was actually quite good. From what I've read on-line, taxi or similar from Amsterdam airport to Rotterdam is about $250 CDN!!! I don't want to go by train with 2 pieces of luggage and a purse (I'm not that fit:)). I'm going to e-mail and call HAL again today.

Update. I e-mailed HAL and somehow my TA forgot:eek: to tell them I wanted 2 nights hotel..... Anyway, all is well and I'm booked with one of HALs hotel in Rotterdam. What a relief to know that all transfers are included etc. HALs price was actually very good considering the cost of transferring from Schipol to Rotterdam and the hotel to port.

Update. ..... Anyway, all is well and I'm booked with one of HALs hotel in Rotterdam.

That's a relief. I'm happy for you, hope it works out well and that you have a great trip.

That's a relief. I'm happy for you, hope it works out well and that you have a great trip.

Thanks Ruth. I've never had a bad sailing and prefer to be on the water rather than land. Hope to meet you some day - you sound like a wonderful person and I enjoy readying your posts. I'll even give you my pillow chocolates:)