a few questions about Sydney--wifi, wine, and transport

The two main Grocery Stores (Supermarkets) in Sydney are Coles and Woolworths (Woolies). Selling food stuff, fresh packet canned frozen, as well as other household type items, cleaning etc and some variety goods, small electric appliances limited clothes etc.

What about Aldi? I thought there was a previous post that talked about them as a grocery store? Did I mix that up? Only asking because I thought whoever posted said they were also close by where we are staying.

ML

What about Aldi? I thought there was a previous post that talked about them as a grocery store? Did I mix that up? Only asking because I thought whoever posted said they were also close by where we are staying.

ML

Aldi are a tracery store.

They carry a smaller range, usually only one brand of each item.

To be honest I can't place ine near where you are staying, BUT I am be wrong I don live in Sydney but visit frequently and KNOW that Coles and Woolies are close to where you staying, I'll have a look a Aldi and see how close they are to you.

ML

There is an Aldi at Westfield Chatswood, and also at Edgecliffe which is the train stop before Bondi Junction. Both are easy to get to from the relevant stations. There is also one in Oxford St, Darlinghurst, (corner of Pelican St) which may be the one that is close to where you are staying.

They have a very restricted range of groceries but cover most of the basics.

Aldi are a tracery store.

???

Jeez, Gut, when are you going to learn to read through what you've written before hitting the post button. I assume that was an auto-correct blooper! :D

Some of your posts have been a bit incomprehensible lately. :eek: :p :D

???

Jeez, Gut, when are you going to learn to read through what you've written before hitting the post button. I assume that was an auto-correct blooper! :D

Problem when you're going blind and using a small screen.

???

Problem when you're going blind and using a small screen.

You guys crack me up! At first, I thought Gut meant tracery and it was just some Aussie thing. But then I read OzKiwi's post and realized it wasn't!

Thanks for the additional info. I thought Aldi was bigger, so now I am straightened out.

ML

I thought it was just fat finger syndrome - aka "why do they make those darn keyboards so small!". :D

Yes and no.

Computer died so having to use tablet. And peck things out on the on screen keyboard. Unfortunately some of my medication is giving me some eye problems. And it makes reading what I've toed hard.

Thus I am left with two options. Peck it out and hope auto correct doesn't make it too bad.

Or stop posting and die of boredom.

Sorry.

You guys crack me up! At first, I thought Gut meant tracery and it was just some Aussie thing. But then I read OzKiwi's post and realized it wasn't!

Thanks for the additional info. I thought Aldi was bigger, so now I am straightened out.

ML

Sorry about that.

Aldi are a German chain. They are opening more stores by the day. Prices tend to be a bit lower, but a smaller store with a smaller range of goods, as I said previously nirmalky only one brand of each item, often "House Brands". For example the sell Cola Soft Drink, but rarely Coke or Pepsi, nirmalky their own brand (but from time to time they may have the brand name).

Edited by GUT2407

ML

They have a decent range but usually only their home brand, unlike the other supermarket chains that have a variety of brands (but not as many as they used to).

Aldi's prices are very good though.

Sorry about that.

Aldi are a German chain. They are opening more stores by the day. Prices tend to be a bit lower, but a smaller store with a smaller range of goods, as I said previously nirmalky only one brand of each item, often "House Brands". For example the sell Cola Soft Drink, but rarely Coke or Pepsi, nirmalky their own brand (but from time to time they may have the brand name).

There are also other supermarkets, IGA have a couple in the CBD, and they NA have different names in other States or NZ.

Yes and no.

Computer died so having to use tablet. And peck things out on the on screen keyboard. Unfortunately some of my medication is giving me some eye problems. And it makes reading what I've toed hard.

Thus I am left with two options. Peck it out and hope auto correct doesn't make it too bad.

Or stop posting and die of boredom.

Sorry.

Oh dear! I was just razzing you though! ;)

Sorry to hear about your computer and eye problems. Hope both are resolved soon.

We won't let you die of boredom! :p

Sorry about that.

They have a decent range but usually only their home brand, unlike the other supermarket chains that have a variety of brands (but not as many as they used to).

Aldi's prices are very good though.

So this might be an option when stocking our kitchen with basics--bread, eggs, coffee, etc? And for lunch/dinner basics (mustard, ketchup, cheese, etc)? Or should we just use the bigger grocery stores, for the variety?

ML

So this might be an option when stocking our kitchen with basics--bread, eggs, coffee, etc? And for lunch/dinner basics (mustard, ketchup, cheese, etc)? Or should we just use the bigger grocery stores, for the variety?

ML

Depends of whether you're happy to try the Aldi brands. Aldi eggs are nice and they have a good range of breads. I haven't tried their mustards etc. Cheese should be OK and friends like their coffee.

You'll find some familar brands in Aussie supermarkets but also a lot of different brands.

ML

Really depends in how fussy about brands you are.

We buy a lot of our needs at Aldi and then use Woolies for the stuff they don't have in stock or that we are fussy about.

Coffee for example Mrs Gut is fussy so it always comes from Woolies, eggs on the other hand, brand doesn't generally make much difference so Aldi.

Hav a look at Aldi and see what they've got.

Your hotel will probably provide coffee in the room.

Another one ketchup here you will find as tomato sauce, more or less the same thing. Mustard Aldi may only have one type (and intensity).

Oh dear! I was just razzing you though! ;)

Sorry to hear about your computer and eye problems. Hope both are resolved soon.

We won't let you die of boredom! :p

That's fine I understand.

Just when you go from a job that is mentally stimulating to restricted to bed (or even in hospital) much of the time I'll be frank CC and another forum I belong to, give me some mental stimulation.

Just when you go from a job that is mentally stimulating to restricted to bed (or even in hospital) much of the time I'll be frank CC and another forum I belong to, give me some mental stimulation.

I can understand that. {{{{{hugs}}}}}

Anyway this forum wouldn't be half as interesting without you and a few other regulars that post here. ;)

Really depends in how fussy about brands you are.

We buy a lot of our needs at Aldi and then use Woolies for the stuff they don't have in stock or that we are fussy about.

Coffee for example Mrs Gut is fussy so it always comes from Woolies, eggs on the other hand, brand doesn't generally make much difference so Aldi.

Hav a look at Aldi and see what they've got.

Your hotel will probably provide coffee in the room.

Another one ketchup here you will find as tomato sauce, more or less the same thing. Mustard Aldi may only have one type (and intensity).

we're not fussy at all, so we'll check out Aldi and Woolies.

I am signing off now--my allergies are really acting up today and I can barely breathe.

ML

we're not fussy at all, so we'll check out Aldi and Woolies.

I am signing off now--my allergies are really acting up today and I can barely breathe.

ML

Sorry you're crook take care.

I usually just use a mild mustard sauce, but I have noted at times that there was only one "flavour" at Aldi.

I only like Dijon mustard so it would be just my luck that the one flavour was Hot English.

Edited by OzKiwiJJ