Some American Express cards offering $100 of $500 NCL Cruises

Sizzlechest

Aargh! I paid off my balance (early) yesterday! I quickly added the offer to my card as soon as I saw this, but the charge had already gone through. (If you add an offer while the charge is pending, you usually get the credit)

So...I'm wondering now if I pre-pay gratuities and buy some OBC in one transaction if that will be coded in the right at to get the credit? Hoping people post their experiences on this.

I think you can still get the offer. Check out this article I read not long ago. I haven't had to use it, but it sounds positive. Good luck.

http://thepointsguy.com/2016/02/redeem-overlooked-amex-offers/

I spoke to a contact at Amex..

Basically as long as you add the offer to a card and the charge shows up from NCL you will qualify. If your TA runs the charge and forwards the amount, it will not count. Same for some consolidator and group fares.

Important to note - it may also be able to be used for prepurchased OBC/gifts - they weren't sure because they couldn't see how the transaction comes through, but if it connects as NCL it will work. That could be an option for those already making final payments.

I called my TA and put $500 on a registered card toward a cruise that we have this summer (and for which final payment is still a few weeks ago). Just got an e-mail from Amex confirming my $100 credit. Looking at my Amex statement, it shows the charge as being for "Norwegian Cruise Line -- Reservation." For those with TAs, it might be best to ask them how they run the charge or take a look at prior payments to the TA to make sure they don't run it as a charge by the travel agency instead of by the cruiseline itself.

Important to note - it may also be able to be used for prepurchased OBC/gifts - they weren't sure because they couldn't see how the transaction comes through, but if it connects as NCL it will work.

It will be interesting to see any reports whether those work.

One thing to be careful of is excursions. The terms and conditions expressly exclude them. Not sure Amex would know, but they might.

For those of you who have multiple Amex cards or who have authorized users on your cards, be aware that you can sign up for multiple cards, including authorized user cards. It's tricky though -- if you have one log in for more than one Amex card, once you select the offer on one card, it disappears from the other cards on the same account unless you know the tricks. For authorized users, what you want to do is set up a separate online account for those authorized users and then you can select the offer on their cards.

So far, from what I can tell, this offer is available on membership rewards earning cards but not co-branded cards (like the Amex SPG). Including authorized users, I was able to add this offer to six cards today. My cruise is in June and final payment isn't due yet, but I'm hoping I can make a $500 payment on each card and save $600 in total. I just made one $500 payment today on one card toward the cruise, and I'll wait to see if it credits quickly and then report back on the experiment.

Here's a good resource for figuring out how to load Amex offers on more than one card:

http://frequentmiler.boardingarea.com/complete-guide-amex-offers/

Thanks for this. Should get us an extra $100. Tried getting the offer for a Delta Skymiles Amex but it was not showing up. Did have success with an additional card on my blue cash though.

Perfect -- there you go. Those Amex offers are pretty good -- you might find other ones that work for you too. Lots of travel stuff, like hotels and stuff.

Received an email that AE applied the offer to my card, listing other offers I might be interested.

Shopping I will go! :o:D

For those of you who have multiple Amex cards or who have authorized users on your cards, be aware that you can sign up for multiple cards, including authorized user cards. It's tricky though -- if you have one log in for more than one Amex card, once you select the offer on one card, it disappears from the other cards on the same account unless you know the tricks. For authorized users, what you want to do is set up a separate online account for those authorized users and then you can select the offer on their cards.

So far, from what I can tell, this offer is available on membership rewards earning cards but not co-branded cards (like the Amex SPG). Including authorized users, I was able to add this offer to six cards today. My cruise is in June and final payment isn't due yet, but I'm hoping I can make a $500 payment on each card and save $600 in total. I just made one $500 payment today on one card toward the cruise, and I'll wait to see if it credits quickly and then report back on the experiment.

Here's a good resource for figuring out how to load Amex offers on more than one card:

http://frequentmiler.boardingarea.com/complete-guide-amex-offers/

Thanks, I have the offer on the Amex Blue Cash Everyday card, it is DH's account but I am an authorized user and have my own card number. I was able to load it to both cards by logging in separately. If I can get $200 back on my next cruise it might be worth going through NCL directly. The offer was not on our Costco Amex, but that card wil be defunct fairly soon anyway. I also added the $75 off Carnival offer, just in case, though I doubt we would book a Carnival cruise right now.

Edited by Mistizoom

So, has anyone successfully purchased OBC with this? If I could buy $500 OBC now for my cruise in 13 days and get $100 back that would be pretty happy. Not sure if I will spend $500 on board but I assume it is refundable if I purchase it myself?

ETA: Ok, I answered my own question. Purchased $500 in OBC for my March 13 cruise and got the email right away from Amex that the offer was applied. FREE MONEY!

ETA again: The email says this:

We appreciate you using your Amex Offer at USD RESERVATION. Look out for a $100.00 statement credit, which will automatically be applied to your statement if your purchase meets the offer terms.
So I guess I hope it is free money! The pending charges on the Amex card says "Norwegian Cruise Line - Reservation" so I imagine it does meet the terms. Edited by Mistizoom

I just made a $500 payment and got the confirmation email!

We appreciate you using your Amex Offer at USD RESERVATION. Look out for a $100.00 statement credit, which will automatically be applied to your statement if your purchase meets the offer terms.

I plan to do it again in April with my wife's Amex (which is also eligible for the promotion).

$200 off my cruise price courtesy of Amex? I'll take it! :D

I think you can still get the offer. Check out this article I read not long ago. I haven't had to use it, but it sounds positive. Good luck.

http://thepointsguy.com/2016/02/redeem-overlooked-amex-offers/

I'd also read that article on TPG, which is why I figured it wouldn't work since my charge wasn't pending, but was final (and one day before the offer start date)

So I called today to try and pre-pay gratuities and purchase OBC to bring me up over $500 and they wouldn't do it. Said they have to be purchased separately. Frustrating. So I asked if I could buy $500 worth of OBC and use it onboard to pay off DSC. (even though it'll cost me $20 more as we get the rate for DSC when we booked if we pre-pay.) She said she didn't know and then hung up on me. I really hope she meant to put me on hold while she asked, but it did not leave me with a warm, fuzzy feeling for sure!

Anyways...does anyone know for certain that the OBC I pre-purchase can be used for DSC? I know that OBC given away as a promotion by NCL won't work, but need to confirm this is true as there is no way I would ever use $500 worth of OBC.

We booked the May 21, 2016 sailing with AMEX on 2/28. My husband added this offer via AMEX and then called them.

I would suggest calling even if your sailing is not between 2/29 and 4/30.

They gave us the $100 credit. Thank you everyone.

Woo hoo! I needed to pay off my June cruises in the next week and was able to add this offer to both my card and my husband's card (same account). Just made 2 $500 payments on Costco's website and got the "Great news" emails. Thanks to the OP for the info. Nothing like $200 in free money!

We booked the May 21, 2016 sailing with AMEX on 2/28. My husband added this offer via AMEX and then called them.

I would suggest calling even if your sailing is not between 2/29 and 4/30.

They gave us the $100 credit. Thank you everyone.

Yes. The transaction has to be between those dates NOT the sailing. Even if your cruise is a year from now, you can take advantage of this offer.

Well shoot, I just paid a large chunk of my cruise at 6 AM this morning and now see this offer a few hours later.

Should I call and try to get it or do I need to now go spend another $500 in the next two months to get the offer?

Well shoot, I just paid a large chunk of my cruise at 6 AM this morning and now see this offer a few hours later.

Should I call and try to get it or do I need to now go spend another $500 in the next two months to get the offer?

Quickly add the offer to your card. If you add it while the charge is still pending, you usually get the offer.

Quickly add the offer to your card. If you add it while the charge is still pending, you usually get the offer.

Okay got it done, its still under pending like you said and the card is now registered.

I'll call if it doesnt happen or find another $500 to spend and get the credit.

Officially saw the credit on my statement today! -100$. We paid off our cruise that leaves in November that we Booked on in January.

So yes, it works on reservations outside the date

The statement credit posted in three days (email was immediate, but it still made me worry)

I paid through my travel agent, but I let him know of the promotion and the bill did say that NCL charged my credit card (I don't know if that is normal ).

Hopefully this helps some others!

Here is something to think about regarding this Amex offer and trying to use multiple cards to get the $100 credit. I booked my September cruise using my Amex Platinum card and it gave me some "goodies" like $200 shipboard credit, double Amex points, and a Bistro meal. My TA said that if I start charging the cruise ($500 increments) on other Amex cards, THEN, the Platinum benefits will go away. If you are booking thru NCL then that should not be a problem.

As an update, this ended up working. The charge was released from hold this morning and the $100 credit was applied instantly.

Hi everyone ; glad I found this thread.

My wife and I have "linked" Amex cards; different numbers but all charges go to one bill. I looked and each card had the offer. I added the offer on each, but so far I have made a payment on just my card. I immediately received the response automated email from Amex saying to look out for my statement credit.

Has anyone had luck using TWO cards to make two payments on a "linked" account?