laundry question

poss

We need to keep packing down as much as possible. This is for a 14-day Alaska cruise. In one sense, the Alaska itinerary makes packing light a bit of a problem, given the fact that outer garments are necessary, plus hat, socks, under layers, heavier sweaters, etc. On the other hand, I guess we're fortunate in not caring about wearing same clothes/shoes again and again. But of course that means more laundering is necessary, and doing it oneself takes up a fair amount of time.

So here's my question: Do items really come out ok when the ship does the laundry? The reason I ask is that when I do laundry at home, there are many articles that I remove from the dryer while still damp; there'd be significant shrinkage if not. How could the ship's laundry possibly pay attention to things of this sort? And yet, somehow they must-- since many people do ask the ship for that service?

Thanks.

Edited by poss

My answer could easily differ from others. At home I do my laundry as you do Poss as I like my things to remain new looking as long as possible. While the laundry does an excellent job things do not come out the same as when I do it. Some things look better as ironing is not a skill I possess. The convenience is wonderful.

I sometimes purchase modestly priced items from Target that I am not attached to for the trip and send those to the laundry especially for day wear. That gives me the best of both worlds less clothes to take and easy prompt laundry.

Alaska could easily be warmer than you realize. We brought jackets from an Antarctica trip that were way too warm. The few cold times were while on a glacier and in Glacier bay.

Hope this helps.

Edited by Eager2Travel

Poss I always send some clothes to the ships laundry. I have been happy with the results. My husbands shirts are especially well ironed, much better than my own efforts. If the item needs a cool wash and cool dryer I write that down, and have had no issues.

The turn around tim has been quick too. Jean.

Problem we have had twice.

Sent cotton blend shorts and pants and they came back very faded but well pressed.

Must have been washed in very hot water and hot dryer.

Don't send anything any more. Started packing things that can be washed in the cabin

and hung to dry in the shower.

Still only pack for 4 day on a 7 day cruise 7 days for a 14 day cruise 8 days for 21 day cruise

and it has worked fine for us.

Edited by Jim B

We have had some fading - especially on a custom made dress shirt that we send out (note: As Platinum member of the Seven Seas Society, we get included washing and ironing so just about everything goes in for washing and pressing. We love this benefit (although my DH reminds me of how much we have to spend to get this "free" benefit):o

I have no problem doing my own washing and find times when the washing machines are available. The biggest downside to doing your own laundry is the passengers in the laundry rooms. While some can be delightful, others are horrible (taking your "not quite dry" clothes out of the dryer for you - causing you to lose a few items). For this reason, I'll put up with one of my DH's dress shirts fading a bit rather than put up with some of the crazies that we've seen in the laundry room.

I prefer not to send everything to the laundry and deal with some small items myself. This time, we carried a Scrubba with us - http://www.amazon.co.uk/Scrubba-Wash-Bag/dp/B00IGD78T4 - expensive but works wonderfully, especially in a small space like a cruise ship bathroom. In addition, the Mariner shower "seat" was perfect for the purpose!

Gilly that looks like a great idea for travelers. It's handy in any holiday situation. I avoid the self service laundry on board. A few years ago on Voyager I put a load of washing in and returned to pop it into the tumble dryer. When I went back to see how things were going I caught this lad right bonny taking my wet clothes out dryer to put his own gear in! Needless to say he he promptly took a hasty retreat in a manner of speaking.

I felt the hassle after that just wasn't worth it, and have had no problems with the ships laundry as long as I note the cool wash and dry items on the chitty. Jean.

We send some things to the laundry, some I do myself, and some I wait till I am home. George's jeans, shirts and khakis go to the laundry. Exercise clothes, underwear, socks I do in the self serve. All my nice dresses and slacks I just wait till we get home.

Laundry threads show up periodically and some of us wonder why you would spend $xx,xxx on a cruise fare and then spend hours in the laundry. Have you considered how much $$$ you are spending when you take time away from your cruise and sit in the laundry room? If you have an Amex "branded" card (U.S. only), you receive $300.00 OBC per cruise plus whatever you receive from your TA. This should be more than enough to send your clothes out for laundering (I do understand wanting to wash some things yourself).

Laundry threads show up periodically and some of us wonder why you would spend $xx,xxx on a cruise fare and then spend hours in the laundry. Have you considered how much $$$ you are spending when you take time away from your cruise and sit in the laundry room? If you have an Amex "branded" card (U.S. only), you receive $300.00 OBC per cruise plus whatever you receive from your TA. This should be more than enough to send your clothes out for laundering (I do understand wanting to wash some things yourself).

Totally agree. And I send more and more stuff to the ship's laundry as I have gotten more comfortable with how things turn out.

I know some people may question this, but I enjoy doing laundry. That being said, our favorite benefit for being platinum is the free laundry - something that we refer to as the "laundry fairy". We once had a problem where some of our laundry was lost and the laundry master went above and beyond to locate our belongings - he is a true example of a most dedicated employee. For those who have never utilized the laundry service, the clothes either come back on hangers, beautifully pressed, or in a lovely basket, carefully wrapped in tissue paper.

A couple of suggestions:

I have had a problem with some fading and shrinking, so my very best clothes I either wait until I get home or have the items dry cleaned. Funny story - I had a great pair of dark black jeans that got faded from the laundry service - when I got back home, a number of people stopped me to inquire as to where I bought those "those great off black jeans" - so, you never know.

I bring "delicate laundry bags" with me for some of my delicate items - I wash them in the machine and can easily pull out the bag to hang the items in my room to dry and put the other items in the dryer without worrying about putting something into the dryer by accident.

I bring dryer sheets with me to prevent static.

I made it a point of doing laundry during "non-busy" hours and rarely have had a problem. I do not understand the concept of sitting in the laundry room "watching", I set a timer and make sure to get back in time. That being said, I have met some wonderful people in the laundry room, some of whom have remained great friends.

Always amazed at the people who seem to have forgotten about their laundry and it sits in the laundry room for the entire cruise.

gnomie :)

Many thanks to all who responded. As usual, replies were interesting and helpful.

I actually like doing laundry too-- but only at home, not on the ship. No doubt it's possible to find a room that's not terribly crowded, but I've never had any luck with that, even though I've tried at various times. Plus it somehow seems to take forever, longer than at home, and the running back and forth to check that things don't get over-dried is a hassle. Not to mention that business of people not coming to retrieve their dry laundry, or taking other people's wet clothes out, as has been mentioned.

I wash what I can in the room (quick drying socks and undies and tops, etc.) in the room, but I haven't found that the clothes dry very well. E.g., the shower is often damp, so no-go there. Where else do people hang clothes to dry?

I'm hoping this time to send out as much as possible-- it's become just too much trouble the other way.

The Scrubba thingie looked kind of cool. When I checked the website, it noted that the company doesn't ship to the U.S. Our UK friends could probably set up a very profitable little business aboard.

Lots of good ideas here-- thanks again.

(I had put the little wink next to the aside to Gilly and liptastic, but somehow it ended up at the top. Couldn't manage to delete from there.)

Edited by poss

The Scrubba thingie looked kind of cool. When I checked the website, it noted that the company doesn't ship to the U.S. Our UK friends could probably set up a very profitable little business aboard.

Lots of good ideas here-- thanks again.

(I had put the little wink next to the aside to Gilly and liptastic, but somehow it ended up at the top. Couldn't manage to delete from there.)

poss, the link you used went to the UK Amazon site. Simply go to the US site and put the name of the product in and you'll find it available in the US. $49.95 each if I remember correctly.

Not all of us travel exclusively on cruise ships with laundry services! Try getting laundry done on an overnight stop in the middle of rural Myanmar or off the beaten track in Iowa... Yes, I'm sure it can be done but dealing with a few small things myself is a great deal easier and more convenient.

I think one would be hard pressed to find laundry machines at a Four Seasons or Ritz Carlton. The way I look at it, if I can afford a luxury hotel or cruise I am not spending time doing laundry.

I certainly understand if you want to wash your own undergarments.

This might be odd, but I save up underwear that are almost ready to discarded and bring them with me on my next cruise and throw them out as we go. Then there is a bit a extra room in my luggage for souvenirs.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

• 2 weeks later...

I use the laundry for underwear, my husband's shirts, cotton khaki pants, socks,etc. I do not send bras, anything that says "hang to dry" or tumble dry low. That all can wait until we arrive home except for bras and nightgowns which can hang over the bathtub or in the shower. I don't remember, but I may have used the self service laundry when we were on a 35 day cruise.