Orca Enterprises whale watching

leennp

I have been trying to contact Orca since December to book whale watching in May, have emailed I don't know how many times and called, left messages, never hearing back. I know it is off season, but does anyone know if they how off season office hours or something so I can time my calls when someone might be in office? There does not seem to be a way to just book online. Or should I give up and use a different company?

You might check the email addy you are using as well as the usual spam folder(s). Another poster mentioned similar email issues then finally discovered they had been using the wrong email.

I'm scheduled for May with them. They've answered emails (sometimes with a 1-3 day delay) and sometimes answered the phone (usually called in the afternoon). I have not had them return a call after leaving a voice message.

I agree their website needs an update for 2016 dates and pricing.

Well i am emailing them directly from link in their website, so would think that would be correct but you never know...

I had trouble trying to email them from their website, and also tried directly (can't remember what email address) and the email bounced back. Called and left messages twice as well.

Does anyone have their correct email address? Trying to book with them for June.

I sent an email out this morning, and have received a reply. Keep trying with emails and phone calls. Factor in the local time. But they are doing their best to respond timely.

I sent an email a few weeks ago, that didn't go through. It's been an ongoing problem in Alaska for years, I have personally had it happen to me. Alaska business owners, try very hard to offer excellent service and certainly, none are "ignoring" anyone. Resend your requests if you need to.

I sent an email out this morning, and have received a reply. Keep trying with emails and phone calls. Factor in the local time. But they are doing their best to respond timely.

I sent an email a few weeks ago, that didn't go through. It's been an ongoing problem in Alaska for years, I have personally had it happen to me. Alaska business owners, try very hard to offer excellent service and certainly, none are "ignoring" anyone. Resend your requests if you need to.

Thanks Budget Queen - it was a few weeks ago when I tried as well so I'll try again now!

This emailing issue happened to me also in December.

Upon closer examination I realized that the link on the Orca Enterprises website was

orca@alaska.com Does not work !!!

The real address is orca@alaskan.com

The " n " is missing on their website

It is alaskan not alaska.

Hope this helps

Appears the website has been updated. Orca gets consistently good reviews. I had problems last year when trying to book. It does appear they are having some employee turnover and one of their captains may no longer work there.

Edited by Glaciers

This emailing issue happened to me also in December.

Upon closer examination I realized that the link on the Orca Enterprises website was

orca@alaska.com Does not work !!!

The real address is orca@alaskan.com

The " n " is missing on their website

It is alaskan not alaska.

Hope this helps

Yes - thanks! I just resent them an email - hopefully this time it won't bounce back!

OK - I finally got a hold of Orca and have exchanged a couple of emails with Larry. We are interested in the tour that starts at 11:30, which I assume means 11:30 start time from the cruise ship docks, then travel to the harbor at Auke Bay.

I told him we were renting a car and hoped to meet them at Auke Bay instead, and asked what time. He said meet there at 10:45 and the boat departs at noon. That doesn't make sense to me. It would kind of defeat the purpose of saving time by meeting them there. I did email him back and asked if he meant 11:45 but have not heard back.

Does anyone have experience with this? Does it make sense that they would want you to be there 1 hour and 15 minutes early?

OK - I finally got a hold of Orca and have exchanged a couple of emails with Larry. We are interested in the tour that starts at 11:30, which I assume means 11:30 start time from the cruise ship docks, then travel to the harbor at Auke Bay.

I told him we were renting a car and hoped to meet them at Auke Bay instead, and asked what time. He said meet there at 10:45 and the boat departs at noon. That doesn't make sense to me. It would kind of defeat the purpose of saving time by meeting them there. I did email him back and asked if he meant 11:45 but have not heard back.

Does anyone have experience with this? Does it make sense that they would want you to be there 1 hour and 15 minutes early?

Yes, I'm sure, it's an hour off. I've driven there several times. The marina dock, isn't "easy" to find, and it is easy to miss the turn off. Give yourself extra time. What I can tell you- look for De Harts store on the marina side- near an intersection, on the left if coming from Mendenhall. A little further see the, post office on the left, there is an old gas station/concrete slab, Just before it, that is the left turn you need to take- down hill. Park in the lot on the right, and wait for the shuttle buses and walk down the dock ramp with the group. https://www.google.com/maps/place/US+Post+Office/@58.3867208,-134.6528246,16z/data=!4m2!3m1!1s0x0000000000000000:0x833a874be380031f

Edited by Budget Queen

Yes, I'm sure, it's an hour off. I've driven there several times. The marina dock, isn't "easy" to find, and it is easy to miss the turn off. Give yourself extra time. What I can tell you- look for De Harts store on the marina side- near an intersection, on the left if coming from Mendenhall. A little further see the, post office on the left, there is an old gas station/concrete slab, Just before it, that is the left turn you need to take- down hill. Park in the lot on the right, and wait for the shuttle buses and walk down the dock ramp with the group. https://www.google.com/maps/place/US+Post+Office/@58.3867208,-134.6528246,16z/data=!4m2!3m1!1s0x0000000000000000:0x833a874be380031f

Thanks Budget Queen - I figured you would have the answer :). I guessed it was just a typo.

I have been in email contact with Larry, and he told me he has changed the dock he uses to Statter Harbor. He said to look for DeHarts and to turn left (coming from town) "right before you get to the round-about. It is a pay parking lot."

I assume this is a different location than the one mentioned that had the map attachment? If anyone knows for sure, I'd really like confirmation. The only road I find on google maps is the one going to Hot Bites. Is that the road?

I have been in email contact with Larry, and he told me he has changed the dock he uses to Statter Harbor. He said to look for DeHarts and to turn left (coming from town) "right before you get to the round-about. It is a pay parking lot."

I assume this is a different location than the one mentioned that had the map attachment? If anyone knows for sure, I'd really like confirmation. The only road I find on google maps is the one going to Hot Bites. Is that the road?

Thank you for the update- YES, this is a different dock. I've always suggest verifying the docks direct with the vendors- as there are a "lot" of them. :) And as I mentioned- not real easy to find- no big flashing signs etc. :)

The map does have DeHarts on it, and the roundabout, so still offers some information. If you see the Post Office- you've gone too far. :) The marina turn offs aren't all on the map, but the general idea is there, from the Glacier Highway.

Edited by Budget Queen

It's the same location and it is VERY VERY easy to find. I suggest using Google Earth instead of Google Maps to get a view of the area. You can go to street level and see exactly what it will look like at the turn off. It is almost impossible to miss the harbor.